ACN Latitudes Forums

Need other parents advice PLEASE

Mono was what triggered my dd's PANDAS.. I know her doctor says it was only strep.. but all the changes I saw in her like things hurting her when they touched her like clothing and blankets, and being extreamly moody and crying alot all happened with the mono.. but when she got strep on top of it, things just got that much worse and all the fear and anxeity kicked in. but when she caught the 2nd strep infection and all heck broke loose on her is when they called it PANDAS and started treating her..

Mono of Feb 2009, June 2009 was strep and then Spring 2010 was when all heck broke loose and they called it PANDAS.. though we had been dealing with symptoms on and off since Feb 2009.

Seems like pandas to me....

you can slip back a little.and hopefully keep progressing forward...nothing is really a straight line around here...

you may also have to try different abx..too soon to tell..

.with my new panda, tics remitted in 9 days as this was his first episode....we had 3 days tic free..and then got slammed with mono...don't know how long that one will take to remit...my doc told me months for mono....which i figured, but was nice to hear from a professional...but makes me extremely sad.

ps..mono may have been the trigger all along...as he never had strep before, that i can note...and his first strep was 6 weeks prior to mono..and i think it can take that long to get igms and symptoms

strep and mono have a high co-infection rate

more in...if you have mono you have strep too...not so much the other direction

wonderful advice.. My daughter reacts when exposed to strep.. I call her the strep detector.. she seems to get symptoms about 2 or 3 days before I find out that someone she was around test pos for strep.. This last time it was myself and my older son. My PANDAS daughter started having symptoms for 2 days that is what made me even think to get my son tested for strep when all he was complaining about was his tummy hurting, no fever no sore throat, just his head hurt and his belly was killing him.. got to the doctor and his throat was all red and they did a swab and it came back pos for strep. Since I was not feeling well myself with the head and belly thing I went to the doc the very next day and sure enough I had strep also.. BUT it was my PANDAS dd reaction and symptoms that made me even think that my son and I could have strep.

*BAM* another thought just hit me...make sure nobody else at your house has strep (many people have asymptomatic strep so you can't just rely on symptoms) because if your daughter got worse again after improving it may mean she was re-exposed. Because PANDAS is caused by the antibodies to strep (rather than the strep itself), and even just exposure to strep causes the immune system to produce antibodies its worth seeing if other people in the home (who were exposed to your daughter's strep before it was treated) may be triggering a relapse.

wonderful advice.. My daughter reacts when exposed to strep.. I call her the strep detector.. she seems to get symptoms about 2 or 3 days before I find out that someone she was around test pos for strep.. This last time it was myself and my older son. My PANDAS daughter started having symptoms for 2 days that is what made me even think to get my son tested for strep when all he was complaining about was his tummy hurting, no fever no sore throat, just his head hurt and his belly was killing him.. got to the doctor and his throat was all red and they did a swab and it came back pos for strep. Since I was not feeling well myself with the head and belly thing I went to the doc the very next day and sure enough I had strep also.. BUT it was my PANDAS dd reaction and symptoms that made me even think that my son and I could have strep.

You just described my son to a tee. Our biggest hurdle with his recovery hasn't been when he actually gets strep - but when he's just around someone who has it. For some reason, last year it was rampant at his daycare!! I've been known to drag us all out for throat cultures at the first sign of my son doing anything remotely weird!!