ACN Latitudes Forums

low iron

DS has low ferriten. I don't supplement, because I'm afraid may do more harm than good - if his body can't absorb the iron (because I know he has an iron rich diet) then , can't the extra iron cause toxicity?

Ours isn't too low. And its just the ferretin. I have added fortified breakfast cereal to his diet.

I have seen other data (the newsletter from pandasnetwork - on their site - that says that iron def.. is a problem with some pandas kids.

Well, I know it is a problem in autism. Also, I know some will claim that 90% of autism is actually lyme. But in the end I believe I either read it on the lyme forum or in "cure unknown" that lyme affects iron and magnesium levels, both of which are way low for me. I know there are many other markers, thyroid, etc.

My DS's ferritin is low too. I am giving him a children's multi vit w/ 100% iron in it. We don't know how his iron got low. His is very low, 14ng/ml. The range of normal at the lab was 22-322. I was told not to give him milk or other dairy when he takes his multi vit w/ iron, as calcium interfers w/ iron absorption.

Before we knew he had PANDAS, he did some food restrictions. Some days were hard to get him to eat and he absolutely refused most meat. That may have a part in his ferritin deficiency. Haven't redone the bloodwork yet, so I don't know if the multi vit is even helping.

We see the effects of the low iron. He does not have the physical stamina he once did.

Dr T told me low ferritin was seen in some w/ immune problems.

Cindy

My son's iron had been dropping for years until recently. We put him on a vitamin cream with B-vitamins (including B-12) and vitamin D. His iron levels are now normal. The doctor explained that he was not absorbing vitamins correctly in his gut. We did not do any iron supplementation.

You may want to check into "pernicious anemia." It is caused by low B-12 levels.

We use a B-Complex cream from a compounding pharmacy, I believe ours also contains B-12, but either way our kids get Methyl B12 injections. Not necessarily for the purposes of low iron, more as a biomed treatment for autism. We get the cream from Lee Silsby pharmacy. You could call them to ask about docs that would prescribe it.

We originally bought the cream from a compounding pharmacy, but it is now available OTC through Neurobiologix. (Link: http://www.neurobiologix.com/Neurological_Immune_Support_B12_Topical_Creams_p/46.htm ) kI'm not in any way endorsing this company--he was on the compounded cream when his iron was improving. Our doc has just changed to the one from Neurobiologix and he does use this for his autism patients as Stephanie2 mentions. However, I believe it was a significant help in resolving my son's low iron levels since we hadn't really changed anything else at the time.