ACN Latitudes Forums

Was looking for previous posts on Flu Shots

Hi all. I was looking for posts discussing the pros and cons of the flu shots for kids with PANDAS. My son (7 1/2) has NOT been officially dx, but I feel in my gut that is where we are heading...each time I try to search for it - it just says my search criteria words are not long enough...hmmmm.

Anyway - can someone share with me about that or point me in the way of a few threads? Many thanks....MMT

I personally will never have my kids get another flu shot - my dd10 started her PANDAS symptoms shortly after a flu shot last January for swine flu, and honestly I would rather we all get the flu than risk this again! Additionally, the preservatives in all vaccines are not what I need to be putting in my kids' bodies. It is a tax on the immune system to get a flu shot, however small, and PANDAS kids are already using up their reserves... just my opinion, I'm sure lots of folks might disagree.

I did opt to have my children get their flu shots (not the mist) in the fall. After speaking to my daughter's PANDAS doctor, and our pediatrician, I felt it was more beneficial to try to prevent a flu illness in my house. I was told the antibody load from actually being sick was much more than the vaccine...so that was one of our determining factors. The other two factors that I considered, were that my daughter seems to only react to strep (not viruses) and she was well on her path to healing.

We didn't see any negative results from the flu shot.

I did let my PANDAS son get the flu shot this year. However he is 15 and has been very stable for several years. On the other hand, I made a huge mistake and let my seven year old daughter (early onset PANDAS), get the flu mist and she has been in a downward spiral since that day. I am so mad at myself for doing it. I know that the mist is the live virus vs. the shot which is a dead virus. She was having such a fit about getting a shot so I caved in. I can tell you, she will NEVER have a flu vaccine again.

If you decide to do it, just stay away from the mist.

Dedee