ACN Latitudes Forums

Teeth & Illnesses Triggering Tics

nola

Hi Everyone,

My son's (age 8) tics are bad yet again. They've been good since Christmas and then... His vocal tics are so bad that he says he is having a hard time breathing. He does a very loud and intense breathing in and out with a humming sound. On Saturday, he had a very high fever (103.2) with vomiting. Amazingly, his fever was gone by Sunday but his tics were out of control. Sadly, Sunday was also his eighth birthday. I just finished laying in bed with him for 30 minutes until he fell asleep. I was hoping that the supplements we were giving him were working. We started L-carnitine two times a day at 250 mg each. We are doing Natural Calm two times a day at 1/4 tspn each. Should we increase the doses? We are also doing Epsom baths. I want to try fish oil but I'm scared. Is there another alternative?

Well, I suppose I should address my topic. My son's teeth, gums, mouth in general are bothering him. A couple of his top teeth are coming in (very slowly). Could this be triggering his tics? Could the fever have triggered it? Is there anything I can do?

It feels good knowing that there are others out there. It's so hard watching this vibrant, fun, and loving boy go through this.

Hi Everyone,

My son's (age 8) tics are bad yet again. They've been good since Christmas and then... His vocal tics are so bad that he says he is having a hard time breathing. He does a very loud and intense breathing in and out with a humming sound. On Saturday, he had a very high fever (103.2) with vomiting. Amazingly, his fever was gone by Sunday but his tics were out of control. Sadly, Sunday was also his eighth birthday. I just finished laying in bed with him for 30 minutes until he fell asleep. I was hoping that the supplements we were giving him were working. We started L-carnitine two times a day at 250 mg each. We are doing Natural Calm two times a day at 1/4 tspn each. Should we increase the doses? We are also doing Epsom baths. I want to try fish oil but I'm scared. Is there another alternative?

Well, I suppose I should address my topic. My son's teeth, gums, mouth in general are bothering him. A couple of his top teeth are coming in (very slowly). Could this be triggering his tics? Could the fever have triggered it? Is there anything I can do?

It feels good knowing that there are others out there. It's so hard watching this vibrant, fun, and loving boy go through this.

Hi Nola,

In our personal experiences both teeth and illness (especially fevers) can increase tics, in fact for us often an increase in tics is our first indicator that he IS getting sick...they also tend to stay for a few days post viral symptoms, I guess until the virus is out of his symptom completely?!

If you are afraid of starting fish oil why not try flax oil first it seems to be less of a potential trigger for many on the site.

Have you removed dairy yet? These tics sound similar to what our son was doing before we completely removed wheat and dairy. He still has some but not as intrusive as before the diet change. Just a thought.

We are doing Natural Calm two times a day at 1/4 tspn each. Should we increase the doses?

Unless your son is getting mg in other forms, I'd try upping the NC over the course of a week to 1 tsp in the a.m. and 1 tsp in the p.m. and see how he tolerates it.

Are you giving him a good multivitamin daily?

Thank you for your responses. I had a few good cries this morning and I'm ready to tackle this again. Cj60, to answer your question, I was giving my son Animal Parade but I read that this may have artificial ingredients. Would you or anyone have another recommendation? I also stopped giving the HMF probiotic because I heard that it could cause tics. Could a multi cause increased tics, as well? I'll try increasing the Natural Calm. Apparently, a side-effect is uncontrollable diarrhea. Is that correct? Would you happen to have a recommendation for the L-carnitine. I believe Chemar mentioned to give him up to 500mg. I've been giving him 250 in the morning and 250 at night. Should I do it in one dose?

Mommyfor4, I think I will try the flax oil. Is there a particular brand you or anyone else would recommend? What's the dose? My son is a whopping (not really) 45 pound 8 year old. He is ultra-skinny.

Thanks for all the help. Trying to get through another day. I am off to his school this afternoon to celebrate his bday. I'm worried about what I'll find.

Nola

Thank you for your responses. I had a few good cries this morning and I'm ready to tackle this again. Cj60, to answer your question, I was giving my son Animal Parade but I read that this may have artificial ingredients. Would you or anyone have another recommendation? I also stopped giving the HMF probiotic because I heard that it could cause tics. Could a multi cause increased tics, as well? I'll try increasing the Natural Calm. Apparently, a side-effect is uncontrollable diarrhea. Is that correct? Would you happen to have a recommendation for the L-carnitine. I believe Chemar mentioned to give him up to 500mg. I've been giving him 250 in the morning and 250 at night. Should I do it in one dose?

Mommyfor4, I think I will try the flax oil. Is there a particular brand you or anyone else would recommend? What's the dose? My son is a whopping (not really) 45 pound 8 year old. He is ultra-skinny.

Thanks for all the help. Trying to get through another day. I am off to his school this afternoon to celebrate his bday. I'm worried about what I'll find.

Nola

Hey Nola,

Without a doubt, the multi could cause increase if it is not a good, clean multi; no artificial colours, flavours, or preservatives...not always easy to find. I am in Canada so I use the Progressive children's multi, but it seems it may be a bit hard to find in the U.S., Chris(Cj60) and Lisa (mythree)are using one by Kirkman they seem happy with. Maybe Chris can be of more assistance there, as well as the flax oil. I don't have my son on flax right now as he is doing pretty well with his multi, NC mag. and epsom baths. The supp. probiotics caused huge tic increase with our son. We give our son 1 tsp. at night of Nat. Calm but may add 1/2 tsp in the am when needed. I can't help either with the L-carnitine as it is harder to get here, requiring a prescription.

I guess my best advice is be super diligent for artificials especially in a multi, it seems to be counterproductive for many of our kids. And just start slow adding more Natural Calm it will help you gauge a good amt. for your son.

I really wish you strength and perseverance,

Megan

Could a multi cause increased tics, as well?

I used Animal Parade for a while, with no noticeable benefit, and perhaps some adverse effects. What I do know is that the change to Kirkman Spectrum Complete made a very noticeable difference in my son's tics. Perhpas because it contains some ingredients that correspond to his particular needs (this is something I suspect). Or perhaps because of the potent combination of a lot of the important vitamins and minerals. Whatever the case, I can't recommend a good multivitamin like it or like Megan's Progrsessive strongly enough.

I'll try increasing the Natural Calm. Apparently, a side-effect is uncontrollable diarrhea. Is that correct?

Your son weighs less than my son, so I'd work up little by little, keeping and eye on the stools, which may get too loose with too much mg (especially if you do start with a potent multivitamin.) Our son out started with loose stools, so we played around with doses for a while. Things seem ok in that regard now.

Hang in there, and happy b-day to your son!

Chris