ACN Latitudes Forums

Improvement but still Lyme?

adkmom

For everyone who's dealt with Lyme, I'm wondering if my ds4 is improving on Omnicef, can he still have Lyme? (We're waiting for test results.) If he's improving, wouldn't that rule out Lyme? since he's not being treated for that? (what the typical Lyme treatment?)

Thanks for your thoughts.

Hi adk mom,

We also experienced dramatic improvement with Augmentin, which is also a cell wall inhibitor like Omnicef. She was also on zithromax, but adding the Augmentin after a month on zith was dramatic and overnight, like yours. She simultaneously tested postive for lyme. Even though Omnicef isn't the drug of choice, I wouldn't rule out lyme yet. Did you do Igenex testing?

For everyone who's dealt with Lyme, I'm wondering if my ds4 is improving on Omnicef, can he still have Lyme? (We're waiting for test results.) If he's improving, wouldn't that rule out Lyme? since he's not being treated for that? (what the typical Lyme treatment?).

adkmom - first -- glad to hear your seeing results -- enjoy them!!

just our story -- my son presented with sudden onset at age 4 and a half. he first was on a quick 5 days of azith which were terrible. he then was on 30 days of keflex -- a cephalosporin -- same family as omnicef , i think-- ?. he had 100% remission in about 3 days. he later relapsed after being off the abx for about 30 days. he went back on but not to such dramatic results. he downspiraled after a virus a few months later and had a long time getting back. we then invesstigated other infections b/c he wasn't fully healing -- lyme was one of them.

i really don't have much to back it up but here's my thoughts -- i think he had lyme and a few other infections that were more of a 'stealth' nature -- possibly affecting his system but not with notable results. the behaviors that we saw were due to the actions of strep. i think the keflex took care of the strep and thus, the remission. however, those other infections were still there. possibly then, we saw some effects -- perhpas they weren't allowing him to fully kick the strep, perhpas they were 'activated' themselves. could it also be that those infections exist within him without causing active trouble and the troublesome one has always been strep? like many do for many people -- something like 95% of the population have EBV when they reach adulthood, right? for some, it can be an active problem, for most, it's not. i don't know but we're treating them all.

so yes, i think your son could still have other infections and you could still be seeing stellar results. you're seeing dr B soon right? so you should be in good hands.

thanks for the replies. Seeing Dr. B in 2 days and waiting for the Igenex results. I know there's still this "thing" present and I'm trying to prepare for downward spirals and not get too excited. But I had nothing to compare my 4 1/2 year olds behavior with. I honestly could tell what normal should be. I thought we'd be dealing with strictly opposition adhd behavior. Now, at least, I have a comparison and can see what a child should be like...even a toddler.

Now I understand what so many have talked about. He truly awoke a different child...like coming out of a coma. It just kills me to imagine the number of kids who aren't diagnosed with this. Uhhhh! When you see the difference, it's incredible. How could anyone think this doesn't exist!!???