ACN Latitudes Forums

A different child this a.m.!

adkmom

I had to write something because I'm in such shock right now. My ds4 has been on 10 weeks of high dose Omnicef and we're now 13 days post Prednisone (2 week taper). It's been terrible with rages, meltdowns, aggression and total inability to focus. I woke with a totally different child! He crawled into bed with me and when he woke, GENTLY touched me and said "mommy can you please wake up?" OMG!!! Previously, my mornings started with him jumping on me, yelling to "get up!", was irritated, impatient, rough, and loud. Can it be that the medicine is kicking in? I know we can spiral down again but I'm just in shock wondering if this was how he was suppose to be all along. He's been having these behaviorial issues for over year. I thought we had a ADHD with oppositional disorder child. Can't believe it could have been PANDAS all along ???? Kind of scary.

Anyways...had to share. Off to Dr. B. on Wednesday.

Yes! I did'nt see improvement till a couple days after the prednisone and then at the end of the improvement week, we had 2 days that I thought she was backsliding quickly, but then the next day she started moving forward again. It is the best feeling when you see any improvement, and I just wanted to let you know if he backslides a day or so, don't be alarmed. Give it a day or so to see if he regains his momentum.

Thanks ladies. It also gives you (or at least me) a peace of mind because I'd catch myself wondering if this was from poor parenting and not disciplining enough and then asking all the time ...is this how it's suppose to be? I had no comparisons. His behavior symptoms started first and slowly with adhd, then odd and then after a flu mist, full flown exacerbation with strep and tics and mild ocd and all the behaviors taken way over the top with rage and aggression.

Anyways, I'm prepared for the next round :) Just thankful to get a breathe and at least know this isn't all in my head. A disorder does exist. We did nothing different, no extra timeouts or punishments. His "awakening" was clearly due to meds.

thanks for listening (reading:)

Yey! Great to hear--

YES we have had those types of reactions (sudden and clearly med. related) in the past -- I would keep all steady and watch the general trend...there may be ups and downs, but the trend is key.

Good to hear it is going in the right direction for you!

Oh, what a wonderful way to wake! So glad you had a good start to your morning today!

My DD11 has ADD & ODD as well as OCD with PANDAS flares. Please keep us posted how he does over the next couple of days... I hope this is only the beginning of a turning point toward better things to come for you!

So strange to hear you say everything got worse after the flu mist. My seven year old daughter has had a history of PANDAS like symptoms (Her brother is confirmed PANDAS)and in November she got the flu mist and has had a downward spiral since. Her rages and behavior are impossible to deal with. Somehow she is able to hold it together at school and her teacher says she is a good student. But as soon as she hits the door it all comes out. She has had two different types of tics and the behavior ranges from adorable and sweet to screaming and kicking in a snap. My husband thinks she just needs more punishment because she is able to behave at school. But I have no doubt that this is PANDAS related. We are going in two weeks to a local provider who knows about PANDAS and start lab work. I can't get there quick enough. I completely understand where you are coming from. I truly hope you continue to see improvement with your current treatment. Good luck on your journey.

Dedee

Hi Dedee,

Yeah, Dr. B had said the flu mist was the worst thing I could have done for him...but didn't know what we were dealing with at the time. Sorry to here your child had a similar reaction. I never would have thought it would trigger anything and my little guy too could hold it together in school and then come home and was horrible! eventually though it got so bad that he just didn't want to separate and go to schoo. It all just snowballed over the course of a month. Good luck.