ACN Latitudes Forums

? about ABX, liquid and pills

If your child has taken the pills and then switched to liquid (omnicef) have you noticed a difference? I mean did one seem to work better than the other for you? My DD was on the pills and then we saw the doc on the 10th and switched to liquid (which she despises). She was off ABX for a week because her prescription ran out and we had to wait till our appointment. I do'nt know if that is the reason and it just has to take awhile to be in her system or if its because she is the liquid. I know that sounds dumb, but I just have to ask. Also wondering, if I was to shoot off an email to the doc if he would be willing to send me another prescription for the pills instead.

We had the opposite experience with Zithro. Our dd8 was on 200mg liquid. She hated it, too, and asked for a pill. So the doc switched her to the lowest dose pill (250mg).

Shortly after, she started to decline. We thought it might be because she wasn't absorbing the pill as well as the liquid. But neither the doc nor pharmacist thought that would be the case. Dr. B. thinks her decline is due to her brother's strep and sinus infection (which we are trying to treat).

I am inclined to believe the med switch is not the cause of the decline, since we switched back to the liquid so we we could increase her dose to 350mg again. She's been on the liquid again for a few weeks, unfortunately to no avail.

Not sure if this helps or not. I can't imagine why the doctor would not switch back, though. Curious - why did you switch from pill to liquid?

Kara

If my son would take pills, that's what I would prefer. My son will only take a liuid. Longer shelf life, possibly no dyes, etc. Doesn't hurt to call or email the doctor for a new script or have your pharmacy call. That depends on the doctor. If you call mid prescription, you are more likely to get them to give a different antibiotic over the phone. He/she may ask for your child to come back in. Now, if they want to see your child again and that visit includes a strep test, politely remind them that she can get a false negative for up to 3 weeks after finishing meds.

I did just email him. *fingers crossed*. We switched her because she was giving me sooooooooo much trouble taking the pills. At one point the only way I was able to get it into her was to disolve come in pop. (which I was worried would not work as well). I also thought that maybe the liquid would work better, (but you know it is hard to get every drop in that way). After tasting the liquid, it makes her a bit nausous and she is begging to get back the pills. lol I did tell her that she better not give me any trouble taking the pills and that we are not switching again.