ACN Latitudes Forums

Emergency number for Dr. B

KaraM

Not sure if my son is having an allergic reaction to either the abx or steroid. He can't put his arms down - says it hurts to much. IT hurts when we touch him or even when he touches himself on various parts of his body. He's in tears. Not like him.

Oh Kara... I don't, sorry! :( Have you called his answering service? I'd try that first; please update when you can - hope he is better soon!

Is he having an trouble breathing? Does he have any itching anywhere? Is his skin flushed? Do you see hives anywhere... the hives/itching may be more likely in areas that are warm.

Thanks, everyone for your quick replies. I panicked after I had called the office numbersa couple of times and not even an answerting service picked up. I did find the number on the website.

While we were waiting for him to call back, my son calmed down enough that we didn't feel the need to bring him to the ER. But he was very uncomfortable. Dr. B. said the reaction was not typical at all and didn't quite know what was causing it. He told me we should stop all the meds until he is symptom free, then we can try adding the abx back in first. If, during the night he got worse again, we were to take him to the ER.

Well, we made it through. He fell asleep around 11 and is still sleeping now. So I guess that's a good sign.

He was not itchy at all, no hives or anything that looked like what one would expect with an allergic reaction.

This is my nonPANDAS child that we are treating for strep/sinus infection. If he's "herxing" what do you think it could be?

Kara

Not sure if my son is having an allergic reaction to either the abx or steroid. He can't put his arms down - says it hurts to much. IT hurts when we touch him or even when he touches himself on various parts of his body. He's in tears. Not like him.

if for instance he is on AUg...and its beeen several days...it could be wiping everything out and letting fungus get in his muscles and joints...happened to my ds(ps he had also been many abx for many years w/o probis as i did not know)...told he was allerigic to pen based abx....but if you give diflucan with it there should be no problem...

thats is that abx is one of choice....i don't put ds on aug unless i have to because i don't wont him on diflucan long term...it's only when i feel i need that abx...

unless i come to find out maybe it is a cross reaction for ds and is lymes related/too...just starting that journey

We had no internet service for most of the day yesterday...I was losing my mind - I felt so helpless!

My son did not have any more armpit pain in the morning. So we gave him the morning dose of abx. He had stomach pain on and off (that's been going on for a few days at least) - but none of the armpit, above the hip, lower back pain that put him into tears the night before. So we gave him the evening dose after supper.

Around 6:30 or so, he started saying the pain was coming back. It never reached the level of the night before, but he was uncomfortable again.

Could these be his lymph glands helping clear the infection? They don't really appear to be swollen, though.

As for the stomach pain, I'm not sure if this is a reaction to the abx or other meds - or just a bug (something's been going around). We've been giving probiotics faithfully ever since he's been on abx.

Dr. B wants me to call him again this morning to update - so I'll ask these questions of him as well. But you guys have always been great about give me things to think about and other questions to ask, so I thought I'd throw this out there.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Kara

which abx are you using? has he had this abx before? has he ever had complaints of pain in these areas (even if sports related)? the stomach pain could be abx-related. but the muscle pain stands out.

I'm sure you've thought about motrin. what do you think of doing a trial of charcoal? in a herx/detox situation, it works for DS as well and as quickly as motrin did. might give you some clues if it does help.

sending you support as best I can...let me know if you need anything.

The pain is not in the muscles or joints. First time complaining of pain in these areas.

He is taking clarithromycin (Biaxin?). I think this is his first time on that particular abx. He is allergic to amoxycillan so can not take augmentin.

Maybe the charcoal might help. I'll talk with Dr. B about adding that in. We've never used it before.

I've thought about motrin - but didn't want to give him anything more the other night when this started ( he was already taking the steroid, abx, an expectorant and the probiotics).

And yesterday, I wanted to stick to adding one thing at a time - plus I know the motrin can upset the stomach. Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Hi Kara,

I don't have any suggestions, other than maybe the steroid (if he was taking one) is still in his system. You're way more experienced with this than I am. But just wanted to say I was thinking about you all weekend :( We're off to see Dr. B Wednesday.

My son did not have any more armpit pain in the morning.. - but none of the armpit, above the hip, lower back pain that put him into tears the night before.

Could these be his lymph glands helping clear the infection? They don't really appear to be swollen, though.

kara -- when i read the first part of this post of yours - i hadn't realized the pain was in the armpits and the first thing i thought was lymph glands -- then i saw you had thought that too! i myselt have had lymph pain and slight swelling in the armpits. i think i remember it to be a strange feeling. i'd vote as something to definitely invesigate.