ACN Latitudes Forums

We may have found our miracle tantrum killer!

A few months ago, I bought a "sensory swing" hammock type thing (like they use in OT) for my son hoping it would help with the rages and tantrums. When he rages, I used to be able to soothe him by holding him tight and rocking him, but as he's gotten bigger, that's obviously gotten harder, and doesn't work as well. So we thought this might be an alternative (I can't remember who gave me the suggestion, it may have been someone on these forums...)

Well, it took my DH until Sunday to finally hang it up. Last night was our first night to put it too the test. When we got home yesterday, he had to run down the street and count sidewalk squares (a new thing that just started) I kept trying to get him in the house (it was starting to rain), but every time I spoke to him, I messed him up apparently and he had to start over. Finally, I had to just pick him up and carry him in the house knowing that a tantrum was going to ensue. As soon as the fit started, I took him over to the chair and put him in it. Within SECONDS he was calm and just sitting there. He stayed in there for about 15 minutes and then came out on his own happy as can be. He started up again when I was cooking dinner b/c I was only making him 2 hot dogs instead of 3 (he always has to have things in threes). Before the tantrum got into full gear I asked if he wanted to go to his special chair and he screamed "NOOOOOOO", I told him it might make his brain feel better, and he lifted his arms for me to carry him there, tears going full force and again, within SECONDS the tantrum was averted.

After I left for book club last night (one of my 2011 resolutions - "me time") my hubby said he started to pitch a fit b/c he wouldn't let him have 3 snacks (the 3 fixation is what we're focusing on now in ERP, can you tell...) as the fit grew, my husband reminded him of his "special chair" and he went in, calmed within seconds again, and then fell asleep in there, a half hour before bedtime.

We have it set up where we are going to take it down inbetween uses so it stays his special place for bad times, and doesn't become a toy (it can swing and spin, my daughter was already mad cause she wanted to play on it) but this morning he asked to keep it up all the time cause it makes him "better" having it.

I don't know if this success will last, but I will take it for all it's worth right now because he's been off his abx for 3 weeks and it's been a little touchy.

That sounds great - hope it keeps working! We found sensory tools to be incredibly helpful at the start of a meltdown - we did not have that chair, but we used "squashing" and "pressure" techniques, as well as standing her upside down. Never really sure why this helped break down the panic, but it did, most of the time. We LOVED our OT - she helped us find so many effective tools for everything from handwriting to meltdowns.

• 2 weeks later...

huh. I am thinking about this now. We are having rages at night. So bad, 11 p.m. and I think he might finally be calming down. I have bruises on my back from holding down a hysterical 7 year old. I am wondering if perhaps my glider rocker in his room might be useful.....

Sooooo sorry you are having such a rough evening... I have so been there, so many times and it is horrible - we get shell-shocked. Please take good care of yourself... I hope he is resting now and you can get some rest yourself.

Glider rocker!!!! I still have mine from when DD11 was born! Thanks for posting that suggestion! There are times that I've been able to rock her in the recliner and it does seem to help soothe her.

Take care,

Denise

huh. I am thinking about this now. We are having rages at night. So bad, 11 p.m. and I think he might finally be calming down. I have bruises on my back from holding down a hysterical 7 year old. I am wondering if perhaps my glider rocker in his room might be useful.....

Sooooo sorry you are having such a rough evening... I have so been there, so many times and it is horrible - we get shell-shocked. Please take good care of yourself... I hope he is resting now and you can get some rest yourself.

Glider rocker!!!! I still have mine from when DD11 was born! Thanks for posting that suggestion! There are times that I've been able to rock her in the recliner and it does seem to help soothe her.

Take care,

Denise

Yep, kind of hour I am feeling. lol whew. I will sleep good anyway, that is for sure. it has to get better. i am moving the glider into his room tomorrow and will see if that helps.

Take care,

Denise

Yep, kind of hour I am feeling. lol whew. I will sleep good anyway, that is for sure. it has to get better. i am moving the glider into his room tomorrow and will see if that helps.

Do you have a weighed blanket? I think it is the combo of motion and cocooning that is most helpful. Open air may not give you full benefit.

We use a swing with dd8 for sensory issues. Before she started Augmentin we had to push every AM and heat her clothes in the dryer to get her dressed. For those of you considering a swing Ikea has some reasonably priced. My husband was able to hang it from a beam in our unfinished basement. I don't think we have used it for meltdowns. Will have to try it. Thanks!

The swing really has been a lifesaver for us. He's now starting to ask to go to his "special chair" when he starts to feel anxious before the metldown starts. It's amazing!!

I saw the one that Ikea has the other day when I was in there, it's nice, and very reasonable, but it won't "cocoon" them like the swing does. However, for that price, my parents are going to get one to put in his room at their house for when he's visitng them.

We've been off the abx for over a month, and think we really need to go back on, but the only thing that has kept us from completely falling apart is how well that chair works in calming his anxiety!