ACN Latitudes Forums

multiple infections

thank you christianmom for these words that i pulled from another post:

He compared my son's results to a yeast infection. In other words, you treat one bacterial infection--say bronchitis for example--and you get a yeast infection as a result. The yeast infection was there all along, but was not causing you problems. But when you tried to treat bronchitis, the yeast (another bacterial infection) tried to fight the antibiotic so it could live so it become more active than ever. So in other words, the mycoplasma was there, but it wasn't detectable until my son was put on an antiobitic for the group a strep.

i find this very interesting and is in line with the theory that we are treating multiple infections in my son. he had quite classic pandas presentation, minus tics, yet had many infections. i think they all come into play somehow but am not sure how -- like that a large % of the population has EBV anyway. we see an integrative MD who believes that maybe some infections aren't presenting strongly but if you clear one, another may come more into light and should be dealt with as well.

christianmom -- your statement seems to indicate in that example that the yeast wasn't so much caused by the abx (which can certainly happen) but was present all along. perhaps these bacterias and viruses live in us upgrading and downgrading all the time -- causing trouble and not?

any thoughts?

That's the way I took it. I don't think he was saying you can in every way compare it to a yeast infection, but I think the point he was making is that you can start out with one infection, but there are actually two brewing. Additionally, he said just because my son passed the mycoplasma test the first time did not mean that infection wasn't there all along. The pass/fail number for these PANDAS-like illnesses seem to be specific to a child. (For instance, Dr. T said he has seen children who have an ASO count of 40, but they have a Group A strep infection. The reason he knows this is that the child will be re-tested in a month or so and have a ASO count of 60. Therefore, since the titer are going up, there is infection. For whatever reason, that child doesn't create very many antibodies. So the "above 200 number" that you would normally look at for the ASO test is meaningless to them.)

One thing Dr. T did say for sure can be seen in the recent blood work is that my son has two infections--mycoplasma and some form of strep other than A. From the first lab work done it can be shown that my son for sure had group A strep.

This group A strep seems be gone based on the recent blood work. The question is whether he had three infections from the beginning.

This sort of hit home for me.. since I am unsure if my dd's onset of OCD/anxiety was purely PANDAS/PITAND or some other infections (yeast or some other viral issues).

Here is the timeline of events

1. Nov 1-15 : Mostly defiant behaviour, frustrated and upset for small things,

2. Nov 15 -22 : worried about breathing, anything touching the neck/throat, cannot hear herself well (although she sounded fine for us)

3. Nov 22-23 : Fever (unknown). No physical symptoms(ear, throat, chest, all fine( Doctor gave Azith to rule out secondary infections

4. Nov 23 -24: Took Tylenol/Motrin for fever

5. Nov 24-28 : Took Azith (5 day course, 500mg 1st day, 250mg next 4 days)

6. Dec 2 (3 days after completing Azith) : Worries/anxiety increased

7. Since Dec 2, we have seen anxieties increase/evolve and some wax/wane pattern. Several rapid Strep test and culture has come out negative. Waiting for titers (mainly for baseline)

Based on this, I am unsure if untreated Strep triggered the events from Nov 15, or may be an underlying infection (unrelated to strep) had already put it in motion and the Nov 24-29 Azith probably cleared some bacterial infection or may be just acted as an anti-inflammatory if the issues were really viral/fungal. Other worry I have is if Azith actually increased the intensity of anxieties since I seem to remember her symptoms before Nov 22 seemed to be milder than post Dec 2.

Any ideas, clues?

MB

Did your son have a positive IgM for mycoplasma?

That's the way I took it. I don't think he was saying you can in every way compare it to a yeast infection, but I think the point he was making is that you can start out with one infection, but there are actually two brewing. Additionally, he said just because my son passed the mycoplasma test the first time did not mean that infection wasn't there all along. The pass/fail number for these PANDAS-like illnesses seem to be specific to a child. (For instance, Dr. T said he has seen children who have an ASO count of 40, but they have a Group A strep infection. The reason he knows this is that the child will be re-tested in a month or so and have a ASO count of 60. Therefore, since the titer are going up, there is infection. For whatever reason, that child doesn't create very many antibodies. So the "above 200 number" that you would normally look at for the ASO test is meaningless to them.)

One thing Dr. T did say for sure can be seen in the recent blood work is that my son has two infections--mycoplasma and some form of strep other than A. From the first lab work done it can be shown that my son for sure had group A strep.

This group A strep seems be gone based on the recent blood work. The question is whether he had three infections from the beginning.