ACN Latitudes Forums

homemade coconut ice cream receipe?

patty

Hi Patty,

I make this just for my 16yo son and he eats it happily. I did a fruit version as a plum pudding icecream for Christmas (It's HOT here at Christmas!), and he was rapt - I added cocoa for colour as well as taste. Just adjust your ingredients as you want eg if you want it sweeter. I adapted this from a recipe I found on the internet.

Easy Non-Dairy Ice-cream:

Combine ingredients in a saucepan: can of coconut milk, 2 eggs, 2 - 3 tablespoons of Xylitol or honey (more or less, to taste) or other sweetener, ¼ - ½ cup of water, ½ teaspoon vanilla (could be omitted).

Gently heat through mixture for about ten minutes, stirring well, but don't boil. Taste and add more sweetener if desired. You could add some nutmeg to taste (optional).

Pour into a container and freeze. Stir through with a fork before completely frozen and refreeze (but I tend to forget!)

Variations:

- Add 1-2 tablespoons pure cocoa powder (if tolerated) and whisk well while heating through.

- Or, beat in any of the following after heating through the other ingredients: a mashed banana, or berries, or grated coconut, or broken up roasted nuts (if tolerated.)

- Omitting the eggs would probably make more of a sorbet...? Experiment!

Edited by Ozimum

Here is a good one!

http://www.myvegancookbook.com/recipes/recipe.php?id=78

1/2 Cup Coconut Milk

1 TBS Canola Oil

1 Cup Sugar

2 TBS Corn Starch

2 TBS All-Purpose Unbleached Flour

1 tsp Vanilla

Pinch of Salt

1/3 Cup Maple Syrup

1/3 Cup Cocoa Powder

1/2 Cup Water

4 1/2 Cups Soy or Almond Milk

Place coconut milk, canola oil, sugar, corn starch, flour, vanilla, salt, maple syrup, cocoa powder, water in blender. Blend until smooth. Pour into sauce pan. Boil until mixture has thickened (about 2 minutes) stirring constantly. Let cool until just warm to the touch. Pour soy milk into ice cream maker. Then pour chocolate mixture into soy milk and stir well. Follow directions that came with your ice cream maker to finish.

We use 2 cans coconut milk, 2 egg yolks (farm fresh so we don't worry about them, but you could omit them), 1/2 cup maple syrup, 1 tsp vanilla. Mix and put in ice cream maker for 30 minutes. This is a good base for adding anything you like. To make chocolate, we melt 1 cup of chocolate chips (dairy-free, of course) with some coconut milk. Refrigerate til cooled. Then, add to the rest of the recipe above and continue. Good luck!