ACN Latitudes Forums

Igenex questions

Hi everyone,

I read a very anti-Igenex article from 2005 about inaccurate testing and too many positives from Igenex. Anyone know anything about this?

Also, can you test while on steroids for the Complete co-infection panel?

thanks.

Hi everyone,

I read a very anti-Igenex article from 2005 about inaccurate testing and too many positives from Igenex. Anyone know anything about this?

Also, can you test while on steroids for the Complete co-infection panel?

thanks.

Hi adk mom,

My dd9 tested negative with the standard western blot in September, but then positive with Igenex on many bands in November. She was on steroids and abx at the time. She has had lyme for more than a year, according to her LLMD. Since beginning treatment for lyme December 3rd, she is MUCH improved. We summer in the Adirondacks for 10 weeks and visit Connecticut and Cape Cod regularly as well, so could have picked it up anywhere.

Our Igenex test were also negative. Two of three children were band 41 positive only. We finally discovered Lyme via DNA in the urine. The third child has IND lyme results via Igenex but positive for Bartonella and Babesia. Our children are low antibody responders to Lyme due to fact it is congenital. Our LLMD helped us to investigate all potential causes for our families issues inclusive of bacteria, parasites, viruses, molds, environmental toxins, allergens. I child with LD typically responds fairly quickly to treatment when infections are targeted with multiple antibiotics.

SF MOM

My older son has 41 IND and **41 DKA. I thought this was Babesia. Is Bartonella and Babesia a co-infection? Are these separate test? Is there a way you could email all the test you have done, or is this way too long of a list. Just don't want to miss anything at my appointment on the 18th. Wendy (thanks again, SFMOM!)

Babesia and Bartonella are co-infections to LD. They are separate tests through potentially different labs (depending on the Dr.'s preference). We initially did the Igenex Lyme testing with co-infections panels on two of our children prior to seeing our current Dr. Our LLMD has since guided us through many additional tests inclusive of provocation/DNA testing, viruses, mycoplasma, parasites via stool tests, allergy testing, etc...... Right now we are doing provocation and testing for Bartonella for me. Over the last 4 weeks I have added herbal remedies and in 10 days I will add a third antibiotics to my current regimen and we will test at the end of Jan.

Happy to help and provide perspective once you meet with your new Dr.

Edited by SF Mom

Regarding Igenex, below is posted a follow up to the article I believe you may be referring to. Igenex is the most sensitive and complete lyme testing that is currently available for lyme. Period. But because it is lyme we are talking about, they of course will become wrapped up in the current controversy that exists for testing and treatment. As for co-inections, other labs do a more sensitive test for some co-infections.

*And yes, there are plent of "negatives" that come out of Igenex, as some here can attest to. But ALWAYS, lyme is a clinical diagnosis made by an experienced physician.

Here is the response:

A Letter from IGeneX Labs CEO, Nick Harris (CA)

I am pleased to announce that IGeneX, Inc. recently passed two inspections

on September 7 and 8, 2005, for its biannual recertification from the State of

California. A federal inspector also arrived simultaneously, indicating she

was present due to the NY Times article August 23 which had made

allegations against IGeneX laboratories. The inspection was intense, with a

focus on the Western Blots which had been cited in the NY Times article.

The lab has been fully recertified, and the inspectors clearly saw the

allegations were without merit.

Despite a volume of letters to the Times after the article by patients, groups,

and doctors in support of IGeneX, nothing was printed by the Times.

IGenex thanks all the Lyme community for your support. Perhaps the Times

will relent and print another piece on this issue.

Sincerely,

Nick Harris

CEO, IGeneX Labs

Palo Alto, California