ACN Latitudes Forums

Dose of prednisone for month long taper

I am going to start my 14 year old daughter tomorrow on a month long steroid (prednisone) taper. She weighs 130 lb. The dose prescribed is

week #1 80mg/day

week #2 60mg/day

week #3 40mg/day

week #4 20mg/day

I have read on here that a lot of people begin with the dose of 60 mg/day for the first week and I am wondering if 80mg is too high of a dose.

TIA!

Colleen

I am going to start my 14 year old daughter tomorrow on a month long steroid (prednisone) taper. She weighs 130 lb. The dose prescribed is

week #1 80mg/day

week #2 60mg/day

week #3 40mg/day

week #4 20mg/day

I have read on here that a lot of people begin with the dose of 60 mg/day for the first week and I am wondering if 80mg is too high of a dose.

TIA!

Colleen

it usually has to do with weight...ie ..my child is roughly 80lbs...so they started with 40 then 30 etc

Thanks for the replies. I am still a little nervous about the week at 80mg, but I want her to get as much out of this as possible. I am considering giving her 60,40, 20, and 10.

I just wanted to hear that someone had given that large of a dose to their child. When researching prednisone doses in general, it seemed like 60mg/day was the upper limit.

I guess if she had a bad reaction to 80mg today, I could switch it to 60mg tomorrow. It was prescribed by Dr. T and I do trust that he would not give her that dose if it were not needed.

What to do...

Colleen

Just read your note Colleen-How is it going?

As an aside, we have done a couple of steroid bursts with a neurologist (with extensive experience) and my 125 lb d. was on 40mg a day for the first week, and so on to taper.

Edited by T.Mom