ACN Latitudes Forums

Went for another blood draw today...3x this week!

So Dr. Murphy's office ordered a full immune work up on Broderick since his biggest issue at this point seems to be his sensitive reaction to exposure. We went off to the lab on Wednesday afternoon (I was prepared with a new Thomas sticker book in hand for after the poke). I had to get blood drawn too, so mommy went first to show him how easy it was and how it didn't hurt.

Then it came to be his turn, and the lab tech looked at him and said "How much does he wiegh?" - 30 lbs. "Did he fast?" - no, wasn't told that was necessary. Oh, well, in that case, they can't draw everything that day, because for certain tests he'll need to fast. But it's okay, because since he's only 30 lbs, they can't draw it all that day anyway because he's too small.

Great - we've got to come back again. Luckily, it went okay, he cried more from being frieghtened by his arm being held still than the needle poke - and even looked at me matter of factly afterwards and declared that was silly - it didn't hurt at all.

So, we return on Friday morning before school - at 6:45 AM (and I'm not gonna lie, I had my office X-mas party the night before so I was a little under the "Christmas weather" that morning on top of it!) After waiting over 45 minutes (and being asked repeatedly if I had my paperwork - "No - you kept it when we were here the other day" - "Oh, yeah that's right") I was told that they couldn't do the draw that morning because they're not sure what one of the tests ordered is, and they can't get a hold of anyone at the testing lab, and they think it's one that needs to be sent out so it has to be drawn on a Mon-Wed. No one will be at the lab until after 8 AM to verify.

REALLY???!!! You've had TWO DAYS to confirm this!!!!

So needless to say, we were back this morning, and my little man was a trooper. Except this time they couldn't get a good vein. It took them a couple of pokes before they found one, and it tapped out just before she was done with the last tube. She didn't re-poke him saying that it "should" be enough.

Why do I feel less than comfortable with what is going to come out of this round of labs?

(Oh, and did I mention we've been off our abx since last week?)

Edited by airial95

You're sure you did this in Tampa? It amazingly sounds exactly the same as when I did it in deepest Queens! I thought it was just typical NYC behavior. One thing the tech told me was that even if they are fasting they need to be really hydrated the morning of the test because dehydration increases the likelihood of the vein collapsing. Best of luck with the testing!

They took us off the abx as a trial - he's been off for a week - and not as bad as we had expected.

His last dose was last Tuesday, and about 5:00 Wednesday night the proverbial sh*t hit the fan! (While we were at the mall seeing Santa and having dinner as his treat for being so good getting the blood drawn!) It was about a 5 hour meltdown, we haven't had one of those in quite a while. He wet the bed two nights in a row and had a couple of potty accidents at school (very unusual for him) Thursday night was similar (we had a sitter b/c of my company X-mas party and the poor thing had her hands full!!) Friday, just to be safe we "motrin'd him up" (since it was my hubby's x-mas party and therefore another sitter), and he did fine. After we went off the abx he wasn't sleeping well either, waking up at 3 AM and not going back to sleep, etc...

Saturday morning, he woke up with diarrea, so he was kinda under the weather all day, very moody, but more subdued than he'd been the few days before. Sunday morning was straight out of hades again all the way until nap, when he finally just raged himself to sleep.

When he woke up after nap Sunday - completely differnt kid - and he's been good ever since! He's at his old school for the X-mas break and we haven't had any of his old rituals resurface, and Monday and yesterday he was just our normal little guy.

I don't know what's going on, we were supposed to go back to the Dr. today for a follow up, but it got moved to next week. I'm kinda glad for that, since it will give us a few more days to keep an eye on what's going on. (We do have a spare rx for abx if it really gets bad though!)

We're keeping our fingers crossed! We continued the probiotics for a week to keep things going right, and we're still doing the Omega 3 supplements...so send your good thoughts our way that things might continue to be okay!!!