ACN Latitudes Forums

School

My child has been in and out of school. I could not even home-school her since she was so sick. She is finally coming out of her violent crazy helllish world and there may be a chance that she can attend school some day. Has anyone ever home schooled and then re-enrolled their child in school? Can you explain how it was?

I tried it for a few months when my son was in prek4. I have to say that he still got strep during that time (and so did my 2yo who was also at home). I was hypervigilent about keeping them protected but it still got us. I then put him back in school right after doing IVIG (he was at his worst due to the "turning back of pages" seen with IVIG, but he did ok in school for 3 hours a day. He couldn't handle more than that.

Now he is in Kindergarten 6 hours a day and he loves it. He has gotten strep twice, but once was from his little brother who was home with me at the time!! No way to isolate these kids.

I tried it for a few months when my son was in prek4. I have to say that he still got strep during that time (and so did my 2yo who was also at home). I was hypervigilent about keeping them protected but it still got us. I then put him back in school right after doing IVIG (he was at his worst due to the "turning back of pages" seen with IVIG, but he did ok in school for 3 hours a day. He couldn't handle more than that.

Now he is in Kindergarten 6 hours a day and he loves it. He has gotten strep twice, but once was from his little brother who was home with me at the time!! No way to isolate these kids.

Oh how I have been thinking the same thing....Thank goodness she is only in kindergarten

My dd 6 had IVIG in Feb 2009 with Dr.k she was awesome for

8 months...

Got sick in September and has not been back to 100%

so she has been at home with me again.

She is not that bad she is about 90% most day's

but we were just going to get her feeling better but on Friday she woke up with a 102

fever, sore throat,no strep,no flu, but now it has turned into a cold

and now we wait for the fun.. I am sure in a week she will start to have a mental break down again..

BUT it is not as bad as before IVIG,, so I need to look at the positive..

anyway she will go back to school.. I just might need to find a hazmatt suit :)

do you think the school would mind???

Tracie

This is our third year home schooling. We pulled out ds11 (and ds9) when he finished grade 3 after trying both public and private schools. At the time we didn't understand what was going on with our son. He was extremely smart, but had times when he was socially awkward, had focus issues, tics, sensitivity to sounds, poor impulse control, etc. It was such a roller coaster ride. School accommodations only helped somewhat and we when we realized that the school setting was destroying his joy of learning, we decided to home school. I had always felt there was some sort of trigger to our son's issues, but I didn't know what it was. The first two years of home schooling were great, however this fall I saw a resurgence of some of the old behaviors we used to see - but this time even worse due to his more pronounced OCD issues. It was at this point that I learned about PANDAS related OCD and started putting the puzzle pieces together. His symptoms lead back to a skin Strep infection this past June. Although we're just starting to seek medical help and a diagnosis, I now believe very strongly that he's had PANDAS symptoms on and off since he was about 4. I also wonder if we had a great first two years of home schooling because he wasn't exposed to Strep as frequently. It's been a struggle this fall with his learning (mostly because I didn't understand what was going on), however now that I understand it will be relatively easy for us to make accommodations with his learning. I remember how much effort it took to try to be an advocate for my son at school. It was so frustrating I can't imagine how some of you handle dealing with school issues on top of your home being turned upside down and trying to be a medical advocate as well! Home schooling has been such a positive experience and in our area (NC) the home schooling community offers many opportunities outside the home such as home school band, coops, PE activities, etc. It's truly a workable option to consider if you are able to.

We are doing an on-line, free public school until my ds13 improves. He has been ill for 9 mos. (muscle aches, headache, stomache ache) and is currently being treated for lyme.

The school is in most states and can be accessed thru K12.com. In jr. high it is 25% on-line but not sure about elementary. You have to withdraw from your district and enrroll in theirs. They send you all the books and supplies (pretty exciting getting it all in the mail). The lessons are on-line and in books that you receive. So far it is working fine. My son does whatever he can depending on how he feels and can do some work on the weekends, if necessary. He recently took a month off because of a PANDAS exacerbation and is working thru the holidays to get in those hours. Just the flexibility is great while he is healing. There is a teacher that has contact at least once a week and we can talk to her any time.

Once he is feeling better, we can switch school districts and he can go back to his original school.

Let me know if you need any add'l info. Best wishes for continued healing.