ACN Latitudes Forums

Is this exposure or infection?

So ds6 has had some pretty bad pandas symptoms since monday night. He does not normally react to other infectious agents (viruses), only strep. By Thursday I decided to call the doc and get an rx of augmentin. But DH talked me out of giving it to him on thursday night b/c he was thinking that it was a kid at school that was making him react. The reason we were thinking that is b/c he would wake up fine, go to school, and then come home a complete pandas train wreck.

This morning, however, he expressed a fear of...wait for it....a picture of MINNIE MOUSE! He couldn't look at her b/c her eye lashes looked scary! DH turns to me and says, "I think maybe we should start the augmentin". LOL! Now that I'm describing this it's all very comical...at least for a few seconds :wacko:

So I gave him the augmentin this morning and what do you know...he comes home from school perfectly fine. Now if it were an actual strep infection, would that quick of a turnaround have been possible? Since today is his last day of school for a couple weeks, should I just DC the augmentin?

Something else to consider, he gets crazy yeast and bacterial infections from taking high dose antibiotics (with the crazy behaviors to match).

Not usually this indecisive, but this one has me scratching my head.

Having my own issues with my 6y/o after school for the last few days. I've been debating uping her dose, but I haven't yet b/c she's up and down liek your son. We know of 1 child in the class with strep this week so I wonder about the reaction alone vs infection. What a difficult decision with the yeast issues-in my daughter's case she manages not to have yeast issues. Good luck-maybe being out of school for the weekend and watching his behavior will help you make a decision.

Hi Stephanie,

That is a hard one. My dd had a worsening of symptoms and 3 weeks of augmentin was recommended to add to her already taken zith in case it was strep. The doctor said that if she improves you can assume it was an actual strep infection, and if not, more likely just exposure. My dd did improve, very slowly AND her strep titers rose after that exacerbation

so it was strep. Maybe give it 5 days and see how he is?? If great continue for 7 to 10?? Did you get a throat culture? blood work?

We did not get throat cultures b/c I have been here so many times before so I have a good idea that it is strep. I just don't know if it is an actual infection. And let's face it...never fun to bring an exacerbating 6yo boy to the doctor for a culture, especially when I do not have the assistance of DH. I guess a 48 hour culture would give me a better idea, but I usually don't want to wait that long.

Vicki, no I didn't get my own throat culture b/c I have been dealing with this sore throat/sinus infection for a week now, which followed a week of a cold virus. I started the abx tonight b/c I'm tired of being sick!

My youngest is also showing some mild OCD, but not enough to treat yet. I'm hoping that by treating ds6 and myself things will resolve with him. He was telling me which way to drive all day. Points which way and says "way, way, way!". Kind of cute for now :wub:

Edited by Stephanie2