ACN Latitudes Forums

ADHD

Guest Guest_Brenda

Guest Guest_Brenda

Hi,

I was reciently diagnosed ADHD and was put on Adderall XR once a day. I took the first pill friday morning and really noticed a big difference in myself especially later in the day. When I got home from work I stayed focused and was able to do some cleaning which in the past seemed to be overwhelming to me. Infact when my husband got up (he's a midnight worker)he said wow you were on a war path. I did have dry mouth all day which really didn't bother me all that much I love water so kept a glass handy. My only problem which is a question for any with experience with adderall is insomnia I couldn't sleep I found that I was wide awake at 10:00 pm when I would normally go to sleep and actually stayed up till 5:00 am. So my question is if I take my dose at 6:00 am I'm going to be up all night so should I shift and take it later in the afternoon say around 1:00? I took my daughter to her counselor who is also being tested for ADHD and told her of my diagnoses and told her that I'm on adderall xr she said watch for insomnia and that I might want to shift taking the meds so I come down off of it while I'm sleeping rather than before bedtime. I am now wondering if this might be better.

Now for another question I have two daughters that see the same counselor and she has stated that she wants to test them for ADHD. My youngest started her testing and hopefully we'll know soon what the results of the testing is. Her counselor told me months ago that she thought that she was ADHD and suggest that I have her tested. What stinks is that she has had teachers that thought I should have her tested and also another counselor said I should have her tested. I was against testing her because to be honest I thought it was bogus and thought that kids who were diagnosed ADHD or ADD just lacked disapline (I have my reasons for that feeling but a very long story so won't go into it). Anyway now I could kick myself in the butt because after both my counselor and her counselor giving me much reading material I know that ADHD and ADD really are true diagnosis. Anyway if she is diagnosed with ADHD I will have a choice in the meds to put her on and to be honest I'm quite scared. First of all Ritlin (sp) scares me because I've read many bad things about it. I was told she can take Adderall XR but I am now ready some bad stuff about it. I love my daughter and want what's best for her so I'm open to researching differnt things but I also know that she needs something I can't live like we have been living any longer. I have read the questions that they ask and know that I would check most of them as yes for her. In fact I she's been like that for a long time probably way back to when she was in kindergarten.

Now for my oldest daughter I think she might be ADD and not ADHD. I also know that she has been this way for a long time. She can't stay focused on her home work gets poor to very bad grades stuggles with many issues including hygine. I will ask her a question and she gives me the deer in the headlights look. I've had a counselor and some of her teachers say I should have her tested. Again I didn't believe in the diagnosis and plus at some point I was married to their dad who refused to let me have them tested for it. UGH I'll have a choice of meds for her and I'm afraid of making the choice and it being the wrong one but I also know I love her and want what's best.

Now for the last thing I just reciently found out that my ex has an uncle who is bi-polar which if I understand is simular to ADHD. Also I was told that my kids have a 10% greater chance of being bi-polar. UGH

I'm glad I got an open mind and had myself tested and having my kids tested but to be honest I'm still scared. I'm also glad that I have done research on the web and found this forum and hope that I can get some help and answers to my questions and fears.

Sorry for the long post but any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Brenda

Guest Guest

Brenda--it does sound like you have done a lot of research! Good for you. As your message implies, the issue is not that the medications do not help some people, but that the side effects can be a real problem.

If you want to avoid having the kids on medication, you need to be prepared to do some work with making sure their diets are healthy, and that they are getting the nutrients they need. You would also want to be sure they are not having trouble with allergies. Do any of them have allergies, or do you have them in your family?

Could you see a practitioner who could help you find your way through this, if you are interested? Let me know, OK? Thanks for writing. We're glad to have you on the forum! Sheila

Guest Guest

Sheila,

Thanks for your reply. After the insomina on friday night and sitting at the computer researching I decided to take the Adderall XR at 3:30pm. I felt like if I took it later in the day I wouldn't have problems sleeping. Although I am going to bed later than I normally do I am able to go to sleep fairly easy. I think it's just going to take some time for my body to adjust to this new energy that I've got. I'm going to give it some time and if I need to I'll move the time a little earlier probably no earlier than 1:00 or 1:30.

As for my kids they are picky eaters a lot of that is because of my ex husband. We've been divorced for almost 7 years and when I left him he used to take the girls to McDonalds or Burger King before he dropped them off with me at 7:30 on sundays. Most of the time they were still eating when they arrived. My husband and I try very hard to feed them good home cooked meals but that can be a struggle. They don't get enough veggies in their diet which I hope to change it's not that they don't like them it's just that I don't cook them. The girls counselor told me they needed their veggies. I know that but I'm a horrible cooker and my husband cooks for us but only usually the meat portion and I'm on my own for the rest of it. This is another issue I'm working on.

As for the girls allergies my oldest doesn't have any (or at least none that I'm aware of ). My youngest is allergic to ants, cats, dogs and I think pollen. She has been on Zyertec (sp), Flonase and I think even claratin. Some times it would work for her but most times she is still runny nose, sneezy and red eye after taking the meds. Their dad's sister is allergic to a lot of stuff (not sure of everything). Her dad is allergic to ants and bees. I had a sister with allergies of different flowers, weeds, cats , dogs and other stuff that I can't remember probably pollen. Lots of stuff going on for them and me. I'll keep researching all I can so I can make a well educated decision on what kind of meds I want them on.

I'm at the point where I'm ready for the answer and can't wait until her appointment next week.

Brenda