ACN Latitudes Forums

Azith. Pros/Cons

I see the Azith. help with sleep, severe agitation (where she runs in the street) and her OCD at night, but....I see it making her a bit uninhibited. Is this commom with this medication? She has been on it about 12 days. Doctor wants to add in lamictal because of the spikes on her EEG, and perhaps that may help. Would you change the abx. at this point. Need your suggestions. Thnx.

I'm not sure what you mean by uninhibited? I wonder if she's got some yeast going on with the abx. Anyway, I would not change the abx and add lamictal at the same time, then you won't know if the effects/side effects you see are from the lamictal or from the new abx.

My daughter is currently on lamictal and has been for 3 and 1/2 years due to what looked like absence seizures, even though a lengthy eeg showed no seizures- just spikes. I do think it has helped her and did resolve those seizure looking episodes.

I agree I'd not change abx and add lamictal at the same time. One or the other. My son has been on lamictal since April for his anger/raging (before we knew about PANDAS). It did help but it did not completely control anger/raging. I will tell you it takes a while to build up to a therapeutic dose. You have to go "low and slow". You want to avoid an allergic reaction that is rare but serious.

No. I would not add the lamictal at the same time, but she needs it at some point for some spikes on EEG. I was asking- if you would change the abx. if you thought it made her seem impulsive? or would you think that the lamictal would help with the impulsivity, therefore we could keep the azith. on board. Sorry if I am confusing you.

No. I would not add the lamictal at the same time, but she needs it at some point for some spikes on EEG. I was asking- if you would change the abx. if you thought it made her seem impulsive? or would you think that the lamictal would help with the impulsivity, therefore we could keep the azith. on board. Sorry if I am confusing you.

Just my opinion, if I were in your shoes-

I'd try diflucan on top of the zith 1st and see if that resolves the issues you think the zith may be causing. I'd keep steady on the zith and add the lamictal 1st- then if issues don't resolve with lamictal, switch abx.

As a sort of adjunct to the discussion (not to add to the confusion, but it does get complicated), My daughter has been on lamictal for @ 3 years, zith for @2 1/2 years, and another medication called bethanechol (for autonomic dysfunction). She has been getting PANDAS/immune treatments for @ 1 year. What we are seeing right now are some things we have never seen before as symptoms- profuse sweats, redness across her nose and cheeks, severe headaches and photophobia. Discussed with her pediatrician yeasterday, and we think maybe now that some of her immune issues are being resolved, along with the symptoms we were treating with those medications, she is getting side effects from the medications. So, we are going to try pulling her off those meds. Have already discontinued the bethanechol, and it appears that the sweats are diminishing. Now that she is on Xmas break, it would be a great time to start taking down the lamictal as well, but I'm going to wait until I'm sure what's going on with the 1st med change. Plus, we're doing prednisone (while she's out of school to limit exposure to stuff while she's immune supressed) for a back injury.

Sorry for the ramble- but I wonder if the abnormal eeg is actually a symptom of the PANDAS, for both our kids? I'm glad we treated for it, as we needed the relief that the lamictal gave us, but, that was all before PANDAS treatment, so I'll always wonder if it would have resolved w/o the lamictal if we'd done PANDAS 1st.

Edited by peglem