ACN Latitudes Forums

Let's talk Sweeteners

KazBax

So I have read a lot on here about getting rid of all the artificial sweeteners and dyes and things...so do you all have any recommendations for natural sweeteners that are okay? Is pure honey okay to give my DD?

What about if I want to make Limeade? Other than regular sugar, is there anything I can sweeten it with that would be okay? I have seen agave nectar a lot in stores, but I haven't researched it yet. Does anyone know if this might be a good option?

My DD is a drink-aholic! Her entire life she has always just chugged liquids throughout the day, and so I would like to have some options for her other than just water. I did read somewhere on here where someone recommended some natural sodas at Trader Joe's that are okay, so I will get some of that for every once in awhile.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Kat,

One of the first things I read online--not here--regarding tics was to eliminate the food or foods that your child eats most. This of course is not a very scientific or practical way to proceed. But behind it lies the reality that if a child eats a particular food a lot, and that food contains something that the child's body can't tolerate, the child will eventually start to show the adverse affects related to the consumption of that food. So maybe your daughter's drinking of sweetended drinks is a link that you can pay close attention to.

First thing to get rid of, as I'm sure you've read :) is the hfcs. But there might be something else in the drinks that causes a problem. Does a particular flavor cause more problems than another? Many fruits are high in salicylates, which, like hfcs, can aggravate a child's system, so keeping an eye on reactions to different fruits and fruit flavors is probably a good idea.

I've used honey fairly regularly in recent months, but have started to be less liberal with it, since it is also realtively high in salicylates.

Good luck with things!

Chris

my son has no problem with salicylates, quite the opposite, they are anti-inflammatory and so he actually seems to benefit from them, (as long as they are in Crohn's friendly form!) and we have never noticed them increase his tics

He uses organic raw honey liberally (it also has antibiotic properties) and pure organic maple syrup as sweeteners

we used to use organic turbinado cane sugar with no problem, but he decided to exclude that as he feels honey and maple syrup more beneficial nutritionally and he now prefers their taste.

he did not like stevia at all, and sadly much of it has "other" ingredients