ACN Latitudes Forums

Tic increase when reading

mommyfor4

I have been aware of our ds increased tics when reading for awhile but because we were focusing on triggers it was bumped down the list of concerns. At this stage he is doing so well on the whole that I was shocked again at the dramatic increase last night when he was reading to his sister! He reads quite well but needs to stop almost every sentence to tic before he can continue. He has maybe three vocals he needs to do before continuing. He finished her book and looked at me with frustration and said how much it bugs him whenever he has to read. Is there anything that has worked for others to control this trigger. It seems so tied to the left/right brain thing...he does have mild dyslexia as far as letter and number reversal and his spelling. He gets great grades as far as knowledge but struggles with communication on paper. Any suggestions would be great...I just don't know where to go from here as the reading/tics are obviously related. His teacher is not concerned at this point because of his knowledge base but I am not okay with his level of frustration created by the need to tic when reading. Anything at all?

Megan

Hi Megan,

Since reading is focused on a lot more in 3rd grade than it was in 2nd, we noticed a definite increase in ticcing that this year's nightly reading assignments brought. Over the months though, as his reading level has risen, the tension seems to have diminished, along with the tics. He finds himself a spot that's comfortable and settles in. He does a little ticcing at first but then it tends to go away.

He has a little sister too. He doesn't seem too interested in reading to her, so you're doing something right in that regard :) I guess if he did, the added stress might bring on some tics. How does your son do when reading silently?

Wish I had something concrete to offer. Lighting has been mentioned from time to time here, as I'm sure you've seen, so maybe that's something to consider.

Good luck!

Chris