ACN Latitudes Forums

Prevnar 13

Guest alyssa

I read that the autoimmune process in PANDAS is not usually started from a typical GABHS infection, but more so strep pneumonaie. Since Prevnar 13 protects against almost 92% of all pneumococcal disease, would this prevent PANDAS? Does anyone have a child who has received PREVNAR 13 that DOES NOT already have PANDAS? Seems like it would be a great vaccine to give as a preventative measure for kids who are at risk but don’t have the disease yet.

Edited by alyssa

My son has had PANDAS since 2004. He only began treatment last March, in terms of treating residual symptoms. He doesn't have tics anymore except in rare instances once a year or so. Anyway, in 2009, the doc at UCLA stressed to us, even though he didn't think PANDAS (my son has no elevated strep titers), he did say that would be the single most important thing I could do to help my son, since he had zero pneumococcal titers present. We did get him vaccinated. He has had several exacerbations since then. My son mainly deals with cognitive decline, mood and behavior issues, and subtle vocalizations triggered by television/video. Also, he has trichotillomania, a form of ocd. This has continued. So, to answer your question, I don't think it is a "vaccine" against PANDAS

My PANDAS son (actually all 3 of my kids) received the whole round of the original Prevnar vaccine (not the new Prevnar 13).

Anyway, don't vaccines work by creating antibodies? Antibodies are what starts the onset of PANDAS, not the actual infection. That's why I am scared if they ever start giving a strep vaccine.

My PANDAS son (actually all 3 of my kids) received the whole round of the original Prevnar vaccine (not the new Prevnar 13).

Anyway, don't vaccines work by creating antibodies? Antibodies are what starts the onset of PANDAS, not the actual infection. That's why I am scared if they ever start giving a strep vaccine.

Yes, I believe it is true that vaccines work by creating antibodies, however if the immune dysfunction has not started yet from repeat infections most likely the vaccine wouldn't do any damage right? They would only protect against the repeat infections that cause the disease. Once kids have PANDAS, vaccines aren't a good idea because they stimulate an already messed up immune system. I thought most PANDAS kids have medical histories of REPEAT ear sinus and throat problems. Couldn't the vaccine prevent that and hence prevent the disease?

There are parents on here who have noticed a connection to a vaccination (not necessarily Prevnar) and the onset of their child's first PANDAS PITAND exacerbation. So, you won't know if it will do the damage until the damage is done.

My son had the whole round of Prevar vaccinations starting as an infant (he was born in 2003). He was finished with them before he ever had his first strep infection (2008). As a baby he may have had one ear infection, but that's it. He was not a child who was often ill.

That's really interesting. I wonder then if vaccines are what really starts PANDAS then or do vaccines simply exacerbate a pre-existing condition that wasn't noticeable before something stimulated the immune system. I was just hoping SOMETHING could prevent it.

That question was once asked on here....if there were any unvaccinated PANDAS kids. I think only one person said they had an unvaccinated PANDAS child, but I can't remember if the mother received the flu vaccine wile pregnant. Perhaps if that person is still reading the forum, they will answer along with any others with unvaccinated kids.

I wonder when kids have such a close onset of first known PANDAS symptoms to a vaccination if they had an underlying infection or a previous undetected mild issues before and the vaccine just sent the immune system over the top. Also, with the FluMist, I think there is an increase of people having sinus infections a few weeks after that. So, who knows in that instance, the vaccine could have laid a foundation for the infection that caused the onset. Lots of maybes and what ifs.Which came first....

My oldest had all of the scheduled vaccines until he age of 5. My next three children had only two of the polio vaccines and not until they were much older. I firmly beleive my oldest has a much more severe case of PANDAS b/c of all the vaccines, OR maybe my other three kids have a milder form b/c they did not get vaccines. Not sure, but I think it played a part in it.

Colleen

It didn't prevent anything for us. Not ear infections, not 6 pneumonias, not asthma, not PANDAS. IMHO the vaccines are too hard on some little bodies and contribute to the dyregulated immune systems.

Yes, I believe it is true that vaccines work by creating antibodies, however if the immune dysfunction has not started yet from repeat infections most likely the vaccine wouldn't do any damage right? They would only protect against the repeat infections that cause the disease. Once kids have PANDAS, vaccines aren't a good idea because they stimulate an already messed up immune system. I thought most PANDAS kids have medical histories of REPEAT ear sinus and throat problems. Couldn't the vaccine prevent that and hence prevent the disease?

Great Vaccine? Not when you have an underlying immune issue or family history of rheumatic fever . Prevnar used to only have 7 strains of strep in it now it ONLY has 13. What a joke.

Wouldn't a family history of rheumatic fever be even more of a positive indicator to GIVE the vaccine? The risk for rheumatic disease such as PANDAS would be elevated without it in that case. Wouldn't it? I thought Prevnar 13 protected against 92% strains of strep, that's quite a bit. I'm curious to know why you are so against it. I do agree that if you have an underlying immune issue you shouldn't have vaccines though. I have PANDAS and stay the ###### away from vaccines. I would like to have kids one day though and would like to do the maximum possible to prevent them from suffering. I was diagnosed back in 1998 and it was so much harder to deal with back then than it is now however I still don't want them to have the disease.

It didn't prevent anything for us. Not ear infections, not 6 pneumonias, not asthma, not PANDAS. IMHO the vaccines are too hard on some little bodies and contribute to the dyregulated immune systems.

I'm sorry to hear that the vaccine did not work for you. Did by chance you have your childs immune system checked for immunodeficiencies before giving the vaccine? I believe immunodeficiencies can make vaccines less effective.

Edited by alyssa

I read that the autoimmune process in PANDAS is not usually started from a typical GABHS infection, but more so strep pneumonaie. Since Prevnar 13 protects against almost 92% of all pneumococcal disease, would this prevent PANDAS? Does anyone have a child who has received PREVNAR 13 that DOES NOT already have PANDAS? Seems like it would be a great vaccine to give as a preventative measure for kids who are at risk but don’t have the disease yet.

Alyssa,

I am wondering where you read this about strep pneumonaie. I have been looking for some literature on strep pneumonaie and PANDAS. Did you read it in an article, or a post online? If it is an article, could you post or PM the info. to me? Thanks

Prevnar 13 doesn't protect a person from the type of "strep" that causes rheumatic fever. It protects against the 13 most prevalent of the more than 90 serotypes of S. Pnuemoniae, which causes bacterial pneumonia, ear infections, sinus infections, etc. See definitions below:

Alpha-hemolytic:

S. pneumoniae, a leading cause of bacterial pneumonia and occasional etiology of otitis media, sinusitis, meningitis and peritonitis.

Beta-hemolytic:

Group A

S. pyogenes, also known as Group A Streptococcus (GAS), is the causative agent in Group A streptococcal infections, including streptococcal pharyngitis ("strep throat"), acute rheumatic fever, scarlet fever, acute glomerulonephritis and necrotizing fasciitis. If strep throat is not treated, it can develop into rheumatic fever, a disease that affects the joints and heart valves.

Great Vaccine? Not when you have an underlying immune issue or family history of rheumatic fever . Prevnar used to only have 7 strains of strep in it now it ONLY has 13. What a joke.

Wouldn't a family history of rheumatic fever be even more of a positive indicator to GIVE the vaccine? The risk for rheumatic disease such as PANDAS would be elevated without it in that case. Wouldn't it? I thought Prevnar 13 protected against 92% strains of strep, that's quite a bit. I'm curious to know why you are so against it. I do agree that if you have an underlying immune issue you shouldn't have vaccines though. I have PANDAS and stay the ###### away from vaccines. I would like to have kids one day though and would like to do the maximum possible to prevent them from suffering. I was diagnosed back in 1998 and it was so much harder to deal with back then than it is now however I still don't want them to have the disease.