ACN Latitudes Forums

Whole Foods or Trader Joes?

Chrisnick

Whole Foods or Trader Joes?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better to shop at for selection and price?

I have been shopping at my local supermarket for foods that are organic etc, I find somethings that look/taste good but I have a hard time with organic meat so I am going to start going to either Whole Foods or Trader Joes - both are about a 30-35 minute distance from me (as opposed to Meijer, Kroger, Walmart which is about a 2-5 minute ride - so easy just to stop there!) But I want to get the best selection of products as well as a decent price - which I know I will be paying substantially more shopping at either of these food stores (I have even heard of Whole foods referred to as Whole Paycheck!) So I am looking for input from those that shop at these stores - which one has the best selection and price.

Edited by Chrisnick

Hi

we get a few things at Whole Foods but get most of our organic items from our local Publix supermarket. They have a large organic/health food section.

We get the rest at our local healthfood store, where we even get 20% discount on supplements making them same price or cheaper than iherb.

I have also found a local health food store that gives us a 20% discount on food orders if we buy in bulk. Never thought to ask for a discount on supplements. I've also heard that I can get a tax deduction for all the gluten free foods I buy at the end of the year. Does anyone else know anything about this?

I shop at both places every week. I get most of my organic stuff at Trader Joes, they have great prices. But due to the fact that my son's diet is very restrictive due to allergies, we buy most things at Whole Foods because it's hard to find food for him anywhere else without all of the allergens. We also buy certain foods in bulk from Amazon that we would normally buy every week at Whole Foods. I would have a hard time living without either store, both great and needed for different items.

Well, I shop at both TJ's and Whole Foods but there are 2 stores that are close than WF that I frequent at least weekly. Unfortunately, they are regionally located so you may not have one in your neck of the woods. I shop almost exclusively at Sprouts Farmers Markets and sometimes at Sunflower Farmers Markets. Both stores sell the supplements I use on a regular basis(although I do most of my ordering through Iherb) and they have all the GF foods, alternative sugars, alternative flours, lots of organic meats and veggies, etc. and great deals on bulk food items. I shop at TJs mostly for specific items that I know the family likes or that I know I will need to have on hand for recipes, etc. As for WF, I don't get there very often because I find most everything I need at the other stores, but when I do go I like to buy their organic everyday 360 line as it's reasonably priced.