ACN Latitudes Forums

Celexa, Azitho.

My child looked kind of normal when I started the azith. She actually is sleeping and we are shocked. She use to just scream and bite and kick at night. She does not look to good during the day all of a sudden and I am wondering if it could be the Celexa and seroquel she is on. I have heard PANDAS kids do not do well on these meds. Any advice would be helpufl.

Well, you haven't given us much to go on, like when she started each medication and how much she is on or when behaviors started. But if she started sleeping better when she started Azith and now she looks worse, I'd be wondering if it were from the die off of bacteria. Are you giving her probiotics? Has she been allergy tested? Allergies can cause dark circles under the eyes, I believe. Personally, for my PANDAS child antibiotics have been life savers and I would talk to my doctor before I discontinued them. I'd have to have good evidence that they were doning more harm than good. My family doctor who first began treating my dd for PANDAS said she could stay on antibiotics unless she began to fail in her health, like losing weight and not being able to eat from stomach issues. THe probiotics have kept things in check with my dd.

It could be that she's being activated by the Celexa, especially depending on the dosage; there's a paper by Dr. Tanya Murphy advocating that SSRI's be used very judiciously with PANDAS kids, when they're used at all. And we have found with our DS that a little goes a long way, and that he has actually fared much better on a considerably lower SSRI dose than his psych originally thought appropriate.

Also, can only speak from our experience, but Seroquel was a disaster for us, as was Abilify and almost all of those "anti-psychotics" some psychs add to anti-depressants, supposedly to increase the efficacy of the SSRI. I'd be especially wary of that one, especially if you haven't noticed it assisting her and the troubling behavior is somewhat related to your use of this drug.

Hi Wilma Jenks,

As a result of all of the stress from having two PANDAS kids, my doc tried a few antidepressants with me. One day of zoloft was a nightmare...Celexa was equally a nightmare. I felt completely out of control of my body/thoughts--and I was only taking 10 mg/day for three days. I would wake up at 2-3 AM and feel like I had just consumed a gallon of coffee. I was literally shaking. I cannot fully describe the feeling of being out of control of myself during those three days, but it was bad, bad, bad. Needless to say, it scared the dickens out of me, and I stopped taking it. I often think I have/had PANDAS for my entire life. I function normally now (some mild OCD, ADD and depression), but as someone mentioned Dr. Murphy stressed caution when introducing SSRI's to PANDAS patients...what if I was having the same reaction a PANDAS child would experience?

I have been taking 5 HTP without all the terrible side effects of Celexa or Zoloft and it has been better. I am not 100%, but it's definitely an improvement. My prayers are with you and your DD.

My child looked kind of normal when I started the azith. She actually is sleeping and we are shocked. She use to just scream and bite and kick at night. She does not look to good during the day all of a sudden and I am wondering if it could be the Celexa and seroquel she is on. I have heard PANDAS kids do not do well on these meds. Any advice would be helpufl.

My PANDAS dd had increased aggression on Lexapro.

You have to be especially careful when combining psych. drugs. Both Celexa (SSRI) and seroquel can contribute to serotonin syndrome (which can include dilated pupils and aggression).

How long has your dd been on these?

Edited by EAMom