ACN Latitudes Forums

NonPANDAS son clearing throat frequently

KaraM

My nonPANDAS son (11) has been complaining of a minor sore throat for 1 - 2 weeks and has been clearing his throat very frequently for that time as well. I'm not sure if the sore throat is making him clear his throat or if the throat clearinig is irritating/causing the sore throat.

It helps a little when I give him ibuprofin.

Coincidentally, my PANDAS dd8 symptoms are ramping up a bit (she's been doing very well for several months - with only a little questionning/reassurance seeking symptoms remaining). However, over the weekend, the contamination fears started appearing again. She couldn't wear her jacket after it fell on the floor. On Monday, all her shirts were contaminated. She ended up wearing her PJ shirt to school. We haven't seen this type of behavior since May or June. All of this is minor compared to where we were last winter - but I don't want to go down that path again. (This week is exactly one year after we determined she had OCD :( )

I'm bringing them both for ASO/Anti DNase B and Myco P blood draws today and tomorrow. Dr. B is concerned my son may be a strep or myco p carrier (his ASO levels are on the very high end of normal and have been for several months).

Anyway, when/how exactly do I figure out if my son's throat clearing is a tic or just something due to either a viral or bacterial infection?

I apprectiate any thoughts.

Thanks,

Kara

My 11 year old son is the NON PANDAS child that Dr. B thinks may be a carrier. I brought him for the blood tests yesterday and will bring my daughter for them today. Should I do the throat culture as well?

My 8 year old daughter has PANDAS. She's been doing great for well over six months but is declining quickly right now.

I would have them do a 72 hour culture on both children also. Is it your PANDASD son or your 11 year old that Dr. B thinks is a carrier?

Colleen