ACN Latitudes Forums

To those w/ "limited financial resources"....

You can also look into if your job offers a Health Savings Account. This money is taken out of your check (you determine the amount and it can be changed) on a pre tax basis and is to be used on doctor visits, prescriptions. In 2011, rules will be changing for HSA's. You will no longer be able to use them for OTC medications like Ibuprofen. Also, if you do not use all your funds in that year, the money does NOT roll over. So, if you have a HSA this year, make sure you maxed it out! With my husband's job, because it is a very small company, his employer has to contribute to his HSA.

Edited by Vickie

This is a topic that I think we have all had to face on our journies. We have insurance, but our deductibles and out-of pocket maximums increased significantly last year, which has put quite a strain on us.

My arthritis treatments went from $100 per month for the rx to $380. That's a car payment!!! Needless to say, I've discontinued my own treatment to make sure we could afford to cover everything needed for our son. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who's sacrificed their own health for that of their child!!

Dr. Murphy's office brought up IVIG for our son for the first time this week - my husband has already set out to doing the math on how the heck we'd pay for it!!!

Would you be eligible for the NIMH study?

This is a topic that I think we have all had to face on our journies. We have insurance, but our deductibles and out-of pocket maximums increased significantly last year, which has put quite a strain on us.

My arthritis treatments went from $100 per month for the rx to $380. That's a car payment!!! Needless to say, I've discontinued my own treatment to make sure we could afford to cover everything needed for our son. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who's sacrificed their own health for that of their child!!

Dr. Murphy's office brought up IVIG for our son for the first time this week - my husband has already set out to doing the math on how the heck we'd pay for it!!!

Edited by Vickie

Vickie,

I'm not sure, I'm looking into that....

All I can find is that they'll be looking for "new" and "clear-cut" cases of PANDAS. We are definately "clear cut" - evenin without Cunningham results, but as for "new" - don't think we fit there...it depends on how they define it.

If anyone else has any info, I'd be very appreciative!

Edited by airial95

Another thing people might consider is using the medical expenses as a tax deduction. I don't know what the cutoff is for claiming medical expenses, but it is worth talking to a tax preparer or accountant to see if you qualify. You can be reimbursed for travel, mileage, hotel stay, and meals away from home when seeking medical care. You must be very meticulous with your receipts and your accounting. Now is the time to be gathering all of your receipts and facts together in anticipation of tax season.

I have done this for the last couple/few years as my medical expenses absolutely skyrocketed. The cutoff is 7.5% of adjusted gross income (gross income after some adjustments on form 1040). Most painful was seeing the money spent for a whole year, second most painful is all the time spent organizing it and adding it up and all that. If anyone is looking to do this and leery of going to an accountant, due to the money or whatever other reason, I probably could at least some guidance, as I have been through it a few times.

I did set up the flex spending this year - that will help. We have never made the 7.5% income cut off to claim the medical expenses. Although I wonder if I put mileage in there this time... That is something for people to think about I'm sure!

Question too - if you did cunningham and it's a tax deduction as a donation - you cannot also claim it as an expense, correct? Can you choose WHICH to claim it as? If that $400 put us into being able to claim medical expenses I would prefer to do that.

I did set up the flex spending this year - that will help. We have never made the 7.5% income cut off to claim the medical expenses. Although I wonder if I put mileage in there this time... That is something for people to think about I'm sure!

Question too - if you did cunningham and it's a tax deduction as a donation - you cannot also claim it as an expense, correct? Can you choose WHICH to claim it as? If that $400 put us into being able to claim medical expenses I would prefer to do that.

I think that's a question for Cunningham (or someone in her office). Not all donations are tax-deductible, it depends on how the organization is set up.

You are correct that you can't put it in both categories. I would double check about it being considered a medical expense. If you can say for sure that it has contributed to you child's diagnosis (either way + or -), then you have a good case...if you are just participating for the research, then I think you would need to ask the IRS, an accountant, or even Dr. Cunningham's office may know the answer.

I know it can be used as a charity donation tax deduction and they did send us the receipt. What I'm wondering is, since we are probably close on the medical percentage, could we use it INSTEAD for medical expense. I'll ask the accountant after I tally up medical and see if it would put us over the edge. If it doesn't, then it's not worth asking.

I know it can be used as a charity donation tax deduction and they did send us the receipt. What I'm wondering is, since we are probably close on the medical percentage, could we use it INSTEAD for medical expense. I'll ask the accountant after I tally up medical and see if it would put us over the edge. If it doesn't, then it's not worth asking.

It's something to double check...your accountant should know. I think it is probably debatable either way...you don't actually receive a bill from Dr. Cunningham's Lab, and "technically" it is a "suggested" donation. However, if a doctor actually ordered the test, or if it was instrumental in ruling PANDAS in or out, then it may actually be considered a medical expense.

Honestly, the debate will only be relevant if you get audited and need to prove it as a medical expense.

Interesting comment about the HSA. DH plan allows us to roll it over to next year. Although, as of Jan. 1 his company is switching health insurance companies so not sure what the new plan will be like.

Also, for mileage to be deductible, I believe you have to have a mileage log book which lists the starting mileage and ending mileage, along with date. Very detailed.

Another idea for anyone planning on doing a flex spending account - make sure you look into the details! I've had them in the past and they were very liberal. I signed up again this year without reading. TOO many changes and I may have a hard time getting my money back out of it :( All of a sudden, they want doctors prescriptions for anything - even OTC or supplements, which in previous years went unquestioned. I was hoping to use this for supplements and the naturalist.

• 1 month later...