ACN Latitudes Forums

Super dissapointed

my child started to sleep better (for the first time in her life) with the Zith. and i thought this would be the magic bullet. today she is aggressive and mean, and not good at all.

she is on day 5 of a 10 day course of this stuff. does this mean she does not have PANDAS? there is not one doctor that can figure out what is going on with this poor child. I have been at this for ten days with no progress at all.

my child started to sleep better (for the first time in her life) with the Zith. and i thought this would be the magic bullet. today she is aggressive and mean, and not good at all.

she is on day 5 of a 10 day course of this stuff. does this mean she does not have PANDAS? there is not one doctor that can figure out what is going on with this poor child. I have been at this for ten days with no progress at all.

If this is just the start of your journey ..you will have alot to go test and experiment with...

with the zith...

when ds would completely remit..he would first have a great couple days...but i noticed a pattern...where day 3-5 he would start to run around the house is circles, bounce off the wallls....thats when i stopped using any kind of dyes...ie red...

make sure your abx are dye free....

next zith can cause clostridia, klebsia, yeast...so you may be dealing with one of these now..

gtg...hopefully others will put some thoughts out

Honestly, with our first 5-10 days of Azith. we did not see a big change and almost didn't continue. We ended up doing more (one the recommendation of Diana Pohlman) and also b/c we noticed "Well, maybe she is yelling at us a bit less."

What dose of Azith. are you on and how much does your dd weigh?

I would really encourage you to give the Azith. a full 30 days. You might also add on some advil for a few days to see if that helps.

Edited by EAMom

Honestly, with our first 5-10 days of Azith. we did not see a big change and almost didn't continue. We ended up doing more (one the recommendation of Diana Pohlman) and also b/c we noticed "Well, maybe she is yelling at us a bit less."

What dose of Azith. are you on and how much does your dd weigh?

I would really encourage you to give the Azith. a full 30 days. You might also add on some advil for a few days to see if that helps.

I agree with the 30 days. my doc even does that for my non-pandas kids if they get strep just to be safe.

Don't give up hope. The road is not smoothe. For us, it was like two steps forward, one step back. But over time, we could see that the trend was definitely forward. And that was better than what was happening with just therapy - one step forward, three steps back...

I agree - 10 days is not enough. It may give you a clue that it's helping, but it is probably not going to be enough to sustain any significant improvement.

PANDAS has been described by so many on this forum as a roller coaster. Please know it is a long, tedious roller coaster. i say this not to disillusion you but to help you understand that the ups and downs are to be expected (as difficult and challening as they are). Don't give up...time, lots of time, and patience, lots of patience will tell...

Mary

Wilma,

I would also think that your dd might also be a "tougher nut to crack" since she has been affected so long and may have other issues (not just strep).

Vs...the "normal" 7 year old child who gets strep and OCD overnight...I would suspect that those early, uncomplicated cases would respond sooner than a child in your dd's situation.

Wilma, can you be more specific about what her symptoms were like before the azith and what they are now? Are they different?

I ask b/c several times now azith has pulled my son out of pandas (strep) only to throw him into aggressive behaviors from klebsiella which is a gut infection caused by the azith. If that is the case, it will not go away without a specific abx to kill the bacteria. For us, augmentin and septra have been useful to kill klebsiella. Could also be yeast or other bacteria.

Scott could run labs to see what is happening. My guess is that if things are getting worse, you should ask the doc to change her to augmentin and see if things improve. She also may need an antifungal (diflucan, etc.). Are you using probiotics?

With azith., my son stayed symptomatic for several days, then I slowly started watching a drop off. With omnicef, it was a slow, steady drop day after day. I remarked about this to Dr. Murphy one time and she said that made sense to her because of the way the medication was formulated. I hope that helps...:)