ACN Latitudes Forums

Is IVIG easily accessable now?

Dedee

Sorry to ask what seems to be probably an obvious question to you guys. I have been out of the PANDAS scene for a while since my son got so much better several years ago. Now my 7 year old daughter is gearing up and I am trying to come up with a game plan and figure out what my options are. I think there are a few physicians around who believe in PANDAS but I dont know their stand on IVIG or even if it can be done local or if major travel would be involved. We are capable of the travel if need be, I just need to figure out what I am dealing with here. I really appreciate any help. This forum is such a blessing and the people here are awesome. Thanks so much.

Dedee

Unfortunately, IVIG was not easily accessible for our ds over the past few years. After trying for months to find any local doc willing to order it, we ended up traveling to Chicago for all 3 rounds of IVIG with Dr. K (and of course paying in full up-front).

Maybe the impending "white paper" will clearly specify an IVIG treatment protocol that will make it easier to get this locally? (I sure pray for that to be the case.)

Edited by Worried Dad

My 11 year old son had IVIG this past summer and the hardest past was getting a date that worked for the hospital. The doctor has ordered another IVIG and, this time around, our insurance company (Blue Cross/Blue Choice) is digging in it's heels and is doing everything that it can to avoid approving the IVIG. I have my fingers crossed that they will approve him soon. :-(