ACN Latitudes Forums

antibiotics impacting the symptoms

adkmom

Does the different type of antiobiotics impact the severity of the symptoms? My ds4 seemed to be doing really well on omnicef, switched to Augmentin. couldn't tolerate the full dose, so cut in half and the symptoms have worsened. thanks.

Does the different type of antiobiotics impact the severity of the symptoms? My ds4 seemed to be doing really well on omnicef, switched to Augmentin. couldn't tolerate the full dose, so cut in half and the symptoms have worsened. thanks.

What happened on the full-dose of Augmentin? Stomach issues? It could be he needs the full-dose to control PANDAS symptoms.

I would do back to omnicef. What was the reason for the switch?

PANDAS is tricky ...lots of kids do well on Azith, but Augmentin or Omnicef works better for others. I think it's hard to predict which antiboitic is going to work best for which child.

Maybe the kids that do well on Azith. also have mycoplasma, or intracellular strep. Maybe the kids that do better on Augmentin have an Azith. resistant strain of strep. It's hard to know.

Regardless of the antibiotic, dose can be very important. Many PANDAS kids seem to need full-strength antibiotics, not just lower prophylactic doses.

Edited by EAMom

My DS6 is doing great on biaxin. We don't know if he's got strep or myco. His titers are normal. He's never been cultured when sick. Biaxin turned his life around. He's been on biaxin for nearly two months now. We are getting ready to go on zith, prophalatictally twice a week and see what happens.

My DS6 is doing great on biaxin. We don't know if he's got strep or myco. His titers are normal. He's never been cultured when sick. Biaxin turned his life around. He's been on biaxin for nearly two months now. We are getting ready to go on zith, prophalatictally twice a week and see what happens.

My 2 cents: you should try full-strength Azith. for a month or two before going to twice a week.

If you switch to Azith. twice a week right away, and your son doesn't do well, you won't know if it is b/c

1) Azith. isn't the "right" antibiotic for your son OR

2) the Azith is "right" but you need full-strength dosing

In other words, by going to a low-dose AND switching abs, you are changing 2 variables at once.

In other words, by going to a low-dose AND switching abs, you are changing 2 variables at once.

i second that as REALLY GOOD advice!! ds had 100% remission in about 3 days of 30 of keflex. we finished the keflex and thought he was cured. he backslide after about 30 days. back on keflex -- it was all so in the beginning -- i didn't realize it was a lower dose. after about 10 days, brought him back up to previous dose but he didn't see the full turn-around that he had previously. since then, whenever we've reduced strep meds, he's backslide.

in the realm of 'if i knew then what i know now', i'd say put paramount importance in changing slowly and one variable esp when seeing good results.

Edited by smartyjones