ACN Latitudes Forums

what does impetigo look like

Hi I was wondering if anyone can tell me what impetigo looks like. My 17 month son was sick over Thanksgiving. Was all congested sounded horrible. We used nebulizer and he was given amox in addition to the zithromax he already takes for pandas. I got back Cunningham scores so now its definite. Anyway now he has a rash on his lower bottom going down his thigh. It looks raised like a hive. Just not sure what Dr would day accept that its viral cause he already is taking antibiotic. He started pinching again and bangs his head in frustration/ anger.

It's never ending.

Any advice?

Impetigo usually starts as a red sore, which then ruptures, spreads more bacteria, and forms multiple blisters or sores that crust over. As I recall, the sore gets bigger and bigger until you begin abx. It reminded me of some sort of flesh eating disease. The crust is usually honey-colored.

Hi I was wondering if anyone can tell me what impetigo looks like.

Yes it could be strep, but it would most likely errupt if it were. I guess though b/c he is on antibiotics, that it may not errupt. I have not seen impetigo that looks like a hive. To test it they take a swab (same as the one for throat swab) and rub it on the affected area. They then culture it out.

Colleen