ACN Latitudes Forums

Vitamin D dosage

We give 3000iu's daily for my dd who weighs 34lbs. Her levels have gone up from 25 to 56 over the past 2 years. I hear it really takes a lot of vit. d to overdose... especially with kids that don't tend to metabolize supplements well. We use Carlson's drops. They don't taste like anything.

How much Vitamin D does your doctor recommend giving your PANDAS child? Do you have a favorite brand?

We are using Sunny Gummies, 1000 iu. . . .I cut them in half for my two kids, but I was thinking of just giving them the whole thing.

The Lyme doc recently switched DS10 (70 lbs) to D-Mulsion 1000, 3,000 IU's per day. He had been taking 2,000 IU's of some capsule, but that only increased his D level from 25 to 36. The LLMD wants his D level btwn 60 and 70 if possible. The D Mulsion 1000 is drops, so good for kids who cant swallow pills (although mine can).

I find it interesting how low many of our kids are. My son was 15 ng/ml--very low even though it was summer when he was tested and he spent plenty of time playing outside without sunscreen. We've given him 5000 iu Vitamin D3 per day since then. We haven't rechecked lately, but I'll ask the doc to do so on our next visit.

I see a HUGE difference with respect to the number of infections DD gets. When her numbers were very low (7) she was getting one infection after another. Now not so many. Higher D levels may also correlate to infrequent rages, but that could be due to IVIg and Augmentin XR. Tics are all gone thanks to IVIg so I can't see any correlation there. But definitely see a correlation between higher D levels and fewer infections.

Nancy

quote: I see a HUGE difference with respect to the number of infections DD gets. When her numbers were very low (7) she was getting one infection after another. Now not so many.

NancyD ... I agree - that's our experience also. Now the levels are coming up ds has been really quite well and he recently shook off a cold in a couple of days (with the help of OLE and Vit C.)

All our family are now having regular blood tests done for Vit D and all were found to be very low initially, including my elderly father who is on the brink of dementia. (I had to talk his doctor into ordering the test and he was taken aback at how low it was.) There are studies around linking dementia in the elderly to low Vitamin D, so I don't understand why his doc hadn't gone there as a matter of routine. Unfortunately there is still alot of resistance to what has to be basic health care.

It's probably fairly normal for Vit D levels to be low coming out of our winter, but how low can you go?! Here in Australia we've soaked up the sun smart message to protect our skin from the sun's UV rays but obviously we can take it too far.

Ozimum.