ACN Latitudes Forums

Braces and PANDAS

I have not seen any changes in my 14 yo daughter that I can pinpoint to when she got her braces. She has had them for 2 years and will most likely have them another 2 years.

I do see changes after dental cleanings, so I either increase her antibiotics the day before cleanings or I add another antibiotic for 2 days.

Colleen

OMG YES dannys have been off for 2 years but I definitly saw increased symptoms when they went on.Im not sure if its just the age when they went on Coincedience or what but yes.

OMG YES dannys have been off for 2 years but I definitly saw increased symptoms when they went on.Im not sure if its just the age when they went on Coincedience or what but yes.

Was Danny on antibiotics (full-strength?) at this time? Maybe that would make a difference.

Streptococcus Mutans is the bacteria that lives in our mouths & causes tooth decay. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streptococcus_mutans

I'm of the thought now that any form of strep is bad strep but realize that it's everywhere. The mouth in general can harbor so much bacteria. After IVIG, we are to get full dose abx 48 hr prior & 72 hours post to ANY dental work done over the next year. Plus, there's enough anecdotal evidence about issues when our kids lose teeth or cut teeth, that the braces effect isn't surprising. They put braces on teeth a lot earlier now than they used to...back in the day. (Heck...that's what I got for my 16th birthday present...some kids got cars...I got braces AND was ecstatic about it...seriously. If only I'd worn my bottom retainer longer!)

I remember in Saving Sammy that his braces were taken off at some point with a cause given as low oral hygiene...maybe there was more at play. I know that my ds had his first loose tooth which coincided with illness during this strep exacerbation...actually he lost 2 teeth during this time. With that first tooth, we saw much anxiety that seemed to be a bit above what we thought would be normal but it was his first one. He kept that 2nd tooth in there just barely for over a week past when it shoulda come out. But both times, he pulled the tooth out himself while he was alone...didn't want our help (naturally). He also had another 6-year molar pop thru during this time. And now that I think about it, his 1st 6-yr molar was coming thru during his spring exacerbation. And yes, he'll likely need braces. Whew.

ds got braces at 8...they did not cause a problem...

he did have 2-3 episodes during that year that remitted with 10day cours of abx....

this episode started 1 month post removal of braces....(no i don't think that was the cause)..

ds also had a filling they were watching...(i din't know about) that fell out about2-3 months later...

and i believe that ds and ds3 both had myco p at same time....

but now that we are still in episode....any tooth related thing sends him..ie loosing teeth, dental work..

pray, as i am walking out the door to get all 3 boys teeth cleaned....

Funny I read this this morning and skipped it because my dd 8 has had braced since June with no major problems. We have been holding ok (not perfect, but good) for over 2 mos with no meds. Today, orthodontist appt, braces tightened, then major breakdown on way home, a little touchy all night. We will watch for now, gave some motrin for the pain, we will see what happens. It does make me think about something I was reading about cranial sacral therapy and children with autism having rigiditiy of the maxilla (upper jaw bone) the jaw is a sensitive area for my dd. Hard for her to even hear the word jaw, or chin AND she has had severe teeth grinding for several years, always dismissed by the dentist as stress. She also had a traumatic fall at 2 yrs which she broke her 2 front teeth out. Naturopath thought that may be very significant, but I have to say we haven't followed through with the cranial sacral therapy, makes me think though.

Funny I read this this morning and skipped it because my dd 8 has had braced since June with no major problems. We have been holding ok (not perfect, but good) for over 2 mos with no meds. Today, orthodontist appt, braces tightened, then major breakdown on way home, a little touchy all night. We will watch for now, gave some motrin for the pain, we will see what happens. It does make me think about something I was reading about cranial sacral therapy and children with autism having rigiditiy of the maxilla (upper jaw bone) the jaw is a sensitive area for my dd. Hard for her to even hear the word jaw, or chin AND she has had severe teeth grinding for several years, always dismissed by the dentist as stress. She also had a traumatic fall at 2 yrs which she broke her 2 front teeth out. Naturopath thought that may be very significant, but I have to say we haven't followed through with the cranial sacral therapy, makes me think though.