ACN Latitudes Forums

Vitamin D3 and ticcing

trggirl

Has anyone found that Vitamin D3 increases ticcing. I started my daughter on it today and while I am not absolutely sure, she may be having an increase. It's hard to tell though because we are also having a lot of viruses pass through our house which has stirred things up a bit. It may be the viruses. Just wondering. Thanks in advance! :)

Has anyone found that Vitamin D3 increases ticcing. I started my daughter on it today and while I am not absolutely sure, she may be having an increase. It's hard to tell though because we are also having a lot of viruses pass through our house which has stirred things up a bit. It may be the viruses. Just wondering. Thanks in advance! :)

Hi,

Not here. I actually noticed a decrease in tics when I started my daughter on it. After a week or more. She went on vitamin E as well, for her integrative doctor said if you are low in D you are also likely low in E.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

It was interesting how the boys Dr. jumped on the supplemental vit D when low levels were found. He was all for supplementing and commented on how many that he was testing were deficient. This is a totally mainstream med. Dr.

Well, we do have long winters in our neck of the woods, so maybe this is reasonable however, I can't totally discount Marshall's rationale on Vit D supplementation either. Maybe there is room for helpful or harmful effects depending on what's at the heart of the problem in a certain individual. I think you might like to take a look at this page. It presents the "other side," of D, in a way that I could understand (much of it anyway).

http://mpkb.org/home/publications/marshall_autoimmunity_2010

JensOS, My understanding is that vit D3 will help the calcium go where it belongs, as in the bones and teeth instead of floating around in the bloodstream, where it can deposit in arteries and other places that it doesn't belong. Maybe it is increasing cellular influx, which could contribute to tics? I have used higher mag. supplementation than calcium in the past.

Edited by kim

Couldn't leave well enough alone here, as I got thinking about the possibility of low levels of D either being caused by chronic infection or low levels contributing to a hyper immune response. As so often happens, I wondered about levels in newborns and what the effect of the highly touted vaccine schedule might be in relationship immunity/autoimmunity.

so i googled....

"Vitamin D levels in newborn"

hummm, appears vit D levels are very low in a newborn (the same babies who are given a birth dose of Hep B and another whole slew at 2 mos).

Not at all sure that I agree with the author's conclusion here but....

from this article

http://www.drsoram.com/give-your-newborn-vitamin-d-400iu/

In this nice article by my colleague Bruce Hollis and associates, the authors looked at vitamin D levels in newborn infants. At the beginning of the study the average infant at one month of age had vitamin D blood level of 16 ng/mL. This is obviously low as less than 15 would be equivalent to rickets in the child.

They then proceeded to give the children 400 units of vitamin D3 per day and followed them over the ensuing months. By four months, the average level of vitamin D in the children had gone up to 43.6 ng/mL. They retested the children at 7 months and found the levels to be steady at about the same level.

This article again confirms that newborns should be given 400 units of vitamin D3 from the first day they are born.

the study

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ije/2010/235035.html

Edited by kim

• 5 weeks later...

Our family Dr. said that my son (9 yrs) should be getting more Vit D. She mentioned the possiblity of rickets, I found a multi-vitamin that had 100% of RDA. This was about a month ago. His tics have increased since then. Not dramatically, but noticably. I'm going to go back to the old mult-vitamin and see what happens.

Thanks for pointing this out. I hadn't made the connection

We also noticed an increase in our son when giving him D, he was taking "Ddrops liquid vitamin D3- 1000IU" which are gluten free,etc. Tried it out a few times and after each introduction saw an increase. Sticking with just his multi for now. Had the same reaction as adding Omega 3 fish oils. Interesting...

Megan