ACN Latitudes Forums

pos. strep even with low dose aug.

danddd

Well, I thought dd9 was all set when strep went around the class back in october, and she didnt get it, but no. She's been on low dose augmentin since ivig in aug. tested positive today. I saw an increase in symptoms the past few days, but was still shocked with the positive culture.

so now we have azith for 5 days, and waiting to hear from our out of state doc's advice. oh i just hope it works fast........

on a happier note, i think little sis is in the clear for pandas. she tested neg for strep. last week, but throat looked real bad, white spots, and even bled with the throat culture. if it was really strep, it was her first. so she got abx. she didnt have any symptoms other that the usual sick crabby preschooler.

Edited by danddd

the first 2 months after ivig were great, lots of improvements. then she went downhill a bit with exposure in school. she was taking 400mg of augmentin once a day. i feel terrible, i first thought her complaints were anxiety based because the augmentin would cover her, i should have brought her in right away. so far she is still functioning, but ocd is worse and some other stuff. really though it is not too bad so far. except for taking meds, she is really scared to take them like before. i am wondering why her reaction to strep this time is so mild compared to the others that were debilitating. could it be from the ivig, or the low dose abx?

Folks,

The halflife of augmentin is 1.3 hours. For a 400mg dose, this means you are down to 9.5 mg remaining at 8 hours. By 12 hours there's only 1.1mg remaining. Essentially if you are not dosing every 12 hours, you are unprotected on Augmentin.

If you want to go to low dose, then do 200mg twice a day. Remember every hour the dose is half the prior hour. So to reset the coverage, you have to dose twice a day.

Buster

the first 2 months after ivig were great, lots of improvements. then she went downhill a bit with exposure in school. she was taking 400mg of augmentin once a day. i feel terrible, i first thought her complaints were anxiety based because the augmentin would cover her, i should have brought her in right away. so far she is still functioning, but ocd is worse and some other stuff. really though it is not too bad so far. except for taking meds, she is really scared to take them like before. i am wondering why her reaction to strep this time is so mild compared to the others that were debilitating. could it be from the ivig, or the low dose abx?

Buster thanks for that info. She used to take the augmentin in the morning, but med refusal was such a huge problem (sometimes would take a couple hours for her to take it) so she was always really late for school. So, doc said ok to giving it to her after school. It made life much easier as far as her taking the augmentin way faster, but I guess she is most suseptible now at the worst time and place- school!