ACN Latitudes Forums

Kids and sleep issues

ilovedogs

My ds has been having trouble staying asleep. He wakes up after being asleep for about an hour and has difficulty falling back into sleep mode. He also ends up waking early, which wouldn't be a problem if he hadn't had the sleep issue the night before.

We know he has attention issues and OCD anxiety but he says it wasn't because of a dream or a 'compulsive thought', he just states: I can't fall back to sleep and I know it's driving him crazy. I've heard of people using melatonin but I don't know the dosing on it and I've thought about possibly making chamomile tea with valerian in it for him. But, since his problem is night time waking I'm not sure those would help. Any suggestions?

Hi Bonnie

low dose melatonin (under a miligram) can be very helpful. Some people may need more, depends on the individual, but usually with melatonin, lowest dose is best to start with and then gradually work up if needed. We find the 300-600 MICROgram dose best

have you tried the epsom baths before bed? as that really does seem to help promote peaceful sleep.

How about lemon balm tea? helps with sleep and OCD

Funny, he was going to do an epsom salts bath last night but changed his mind. I did give him about 300 mg of magnesium before bed. I think it's anxiety related to the tournament this weekend, but I still need to make sure he gets his rest. Hopefully, he'll catch up a bit this weekend now that we're here. I still need to order some lemon balm tea but I think chamomile should help, as well. Thanks for the info on the melatonin. If this becomes more problematic or not just tied to a tournament or travel event, I may try the teas first and then move up to the melatonin.

So, you really think the lemon balm tea helps that much, Char? I keep forgetting to order some online but I think it's worth a shot. I have been diffusing lavender and chamomile in a diffuser in his room when he goes to bed so I wonder if that helps on most normal days for him. It took me until this AM to realize that he was probably anxious last night about a tennis tournament this weekend even though he didn't come right out and say it. His lack of sleep didn't affect his game this AM as he still managed to get in a win, but I don't want lack of sleep to become an issue for him because I know how lack of sleep can really set off the tics, etc.

I'm thinking of getting some for my older son, he has had sleep problems since birth. Lately he has been having a lot of trouble going to sleep, he's still awake at 2 a.m. & has fallen asleep in school a few times. Once he's asleep he's fine, it's getting him there that's difficult.

I think he might be having a hard time with all the stress in the house (I.e. Me dealing/or should I say not dealing with my others sons tics).

Thankfully the little guy doesn't have sleep issues (yet).

Good Luck Bonnie.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to add that I started using the melatonin for ds for the past 4 days. We had gotten back from Hawaii last Friday early AM(just around 1 AM) as he's been struggling with falling asleep since then. He was awake at midnight one evening so I gave him 1/4th of a 3mg tablet and he was asleep within 15 mins. I took 1/2 of a 3mg tablet and even though it helped me fall asleep, I was VERY groggy and sleepy in the AM. It seems to stay with me for about 12 hours so I know I would need to cut the dose back in the future.

Chemar, for how long can I give melatonin? Do you think it's safe to give daily? I still need to order some lemon balm tea but I was thinking of trying the Celestial Seasonings chamomile tea that has valerian in it. I just haven't researched the melatonin enough or the valerian, either. Ds asked for it last night at around 11 PM so I gave him 1/4th(maybe even a bit less) and I didn't hear from him again. Of course, I was exhausted because our neighbor's dog keeps waking me up at 6:30 and had had a long day so I fell asleep myself pretty quickly, without the melatonin.

I was exhausted because our neighbor's dog keeps waking me up at 6:30

Bonnie, have you thought of changing your screen name to "I love quiet dogs?" :P

Our experience with melatonin has been about what you're describing. If too much is taken, the AM grogginess is a problem.

lol Kim ^_^

Bonnie, as melatonin is a hormone, I would personally not feel comfortable with daily or longterm use in a developing child

We have only ever used it very occasionally and then never above 600 MICROgrams (actually prefer 300mcg)

as Kim said, any more than that and we found odd waking patterns and extreme grogginess next day

I really need to start getting him off the computer by 9 PM, giving him some lemon balm tea, and upping the magnesium. Right now he's in a period where he can't fall asleep before 11:30, no matter what time we try to get him to bed. I gave some melatonin for about 4 days straight and yes, it helped him fall asleep in about 10 mins, but I don't trust it long term. He asked for it tonight but I said no. It's 11:16 and he's still tossing and turning in bed and it's driving me crazy! It's like I feel guilty about falling asleep before him so I sit here and wait for him to fall asleep and then I'm the one waking up tired the next day, LOL!