ACN Latitudes Forums

Cytokine testing through Neuroscience....

dabel

I spoke to Neuroscience and they said that my son's cytokine test lit up like a Christmas tree. They are still waiting for the results of the Western Blot. I asked if this indicates that he has Lyme's and she said yes but you need the Western Blot for diagnosing Lyme's. Have any of you had this test and if so were the cytokines high along with a positive Western Blot? Or can the cytokines light up and the Western Blot still negative?

I didn't know about this test, but we've done neurotransmitter testing through Neuroscience.

What does the test measure? My understanding is that some cytokines are pro-inflammatory and some are anti-inflammatory. Does the test measure the balance between the two groups?

Here is a link to the brochure. It explains this way better than I could. From what I understand this test looks at the lyme specific inflammatory responses vs the antibody response.

Here is the link. You can just copy and paste it.

https://www.neurorelief.com/images/Testing/Specsheets/mylymeimmuneid.pdf

It appears that different levels will be elevated at different points during the infection process. Some are elevated in the early stages and some later. So this helps to estimate at what point in the process an individual is at. This is the way I understand it anyway.

Edited by dabel

My ds14 had the My Lyme ID test thru Neuroscience when we consulted at the National Integrated Health Associates here in Wash. D.C. I was told that the test exposes the blood cells to the Lyme and then they measure the cytokine response. It is supposed to be very specific for Lyme. They chose it for my son because it is a good test for patients with poor immune systems who may not be able to mount an antibody response to the Lyme. He had three "equivocal" bands out of a possible five. Also, the list of cytokins had many positives that were very high.

Here are the explanations for our son's results that came with the test:

"Lyme ITT Equivocal Response / Cytokines: Elevated Response

The results of the Lyme ITT suggest possible exposure to Lyme-specific antigens. Patient results should be considered positive when multiple Lyme antigens have an equivocal stimulation index. The results of the cytokine test suggest an activated immune system (inflammatory response). Results may be suggestive of an early stage of Lyme disease. If symptoms and history are suggestive of Lyme, further testing for Lyme and co-infectious agents may be necessary. Immune support and intervention should be considered if Lyme symptoms exist. A retest is suggested in 3-4 weeks."

The following info. came as an explanation of some of the different tests included in My Lyme ID:

"BACKGROUND INFORMATION:

Lyme disease is an infectious inflammatory disorder caused by the bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi... [it's] success rests in its ability to evade or hide from a host's immune system."

"Lyme ITT

The Lyme Immune Tolerance Test (ITT) measures the body's cell mediated immune response to Lyme-specific antigens. In contrast to antibody medicated Lyme tests, including Lyme ELISA and Western Blot, Lyme ITT specifically targets the Type-IV delayed immune response to Lyme antigens. The test procedure exposes isolated white blood cells to Borrelia burgdorferi (Lyme bacteria) specific antigens. Previous Lyme infection will induce memory T-cell proliferation and /or changes in cellular morphology, which is measured as a Stimulation Index (SI).

Note: Cross-reactivity may occur with other spirochetal diseases."

"Cytokines

Cytokines are the chemical messengers of the immune system and serve as markers for inflammatory processes. An encounter with physical stimuli (i.e.: bacterial, viral, fungal, parasite infection) challenges the immune system. In response to physical stimuli, immune cells secrete cytokines as a primary defense mechanism. Elevated cytokine levels may be an indication of an active immune response to a physical stimulus."

We also consulted with a LLMD earlier this week. He is familiar with both My Lyme ID and Igenex. He dx our ds14 with Lyme and made some aggressive changes in the Lyme treatment plan. He also ordered an Igenex Western Blot. It seems appropriate in light of the equivocal bands and the fact that even My Lyme ID recommends further testing. Additionally, with the possibility of "cross reactivity" with other spirochetal diseases I think it is prudent.

Does anyone out there know what other spirochetal diseases might be at play here? Would yeast (Candida) be one of them? My ds has a big yeast problem that we are currently fighting with the help of the LLMD.

As always, I hope this is helpful...

My ds14 had the My Lyme ID test thru Neuroscience when we consulted at the National Integrated Health Associates here in Wash. D.C. I was told that the test exposes the blood cells to the Lyme and then they measure the cytokine response. It is supposed to be very specific for Lyme. They chose it for my son because it is a good test for patients with poor immune systems who may not be able to mount an antibody response to the Lyme. He had three "equivocal" bands out of a possible five. Also, the list of cytokins had many positives that were very high.

Here are the explanations for our son's results that came with the test:

"Lyme ITT Equivocal Response / Cytokines: Elevated Response

The results of the Lyme ITT suggest possible exposure to Lyme-specific antigens. Patient results should be considered positive when multiple Lyme antigens have an equivocal stimulation index. The results of the cytokine test suggest an activated immune system (inflammatory response). Results may be suggestive of an early stage of Lyme disease. If symptoms and history are suggestive of Lyme, further testing for Lyme and co-infectious agents may be necessary. Immune support and intervention should be considered if Lyme symptoms exist. A retest is suggested in 3-4 weeks."

The following info. came as an explanation of some of the different tests included in My Lyme ID:

"BACKGROUND INFORMATION:

Lyme disease is an infectious inflammatory disorder caused by the bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi... [it's] success rests in its ability to evade or hide from a host's immune system."

"Lyme ITT

The Lyme Immune Tolerance Test (ITT) measures the body's cell mediated immune response to Lyme-specific antigens. In contrast to antibody medicated Lyme tests, including Lyme ELISA and Western Blot, Lyme ITT specifically targets the Type-IV delayed immune response to Lyme antigens. The test procedure exposes isolated white blood cells to Borrelia burgdorferi (Lyme bacteria) specific antigens. Previous Lyme infection will induce memory T-cell proliferation and /or changes in cellular morphology, which is measured as a Stimulation Index (SI).

Note: Cross-reactivity may occur with other spirochetal diseases."

"Cytokines

Cytokines are the chemical messengers of the immune system and serve as markers for inflammatory processes. An encounter with physical stimuli (i.e.: bacterial, viral, fungal, parasite infection) challenges the immune system. In response to physical stimuli, immune cells secrete cytokines as a primary defense mechanism. Elevated cytokine levels may be an indication of an active immune response to a physical stimulus."

We also consulted with a LLMD earlier this week. He is familiar with both My Lyme ID and Igenex. He dx our ds14 with Lyme and made some aggressive changes in the Lyme treatment plan. He also ordered an Igenex Western Blot. It seems appropriate in light of the equivocal bands and the fact that even My Lyme ID recommends further testing. Additionally, with the possibility of "cross reactivity" with other spirochetal diseases I think it is prudent.

Does anyone out there know what other spirochetal diseases might be at play here? Would yeast (Candida) be one of them? My ds has a big yeast problem that we are currently fighting with the help of the LLMD.

RNMom: I was re-watching some of the DVDs from the ILADS conference yesterday and Dr. H talked about how the DIE-OFF from Lyme/co-infection causes a yeast response not just antibiotic use. So, my guess is you are contending with both antibiotic use and die-off at this time. They typically address the yeast but if it continues to be a problem they back off on treatment regimen.

Hope that helps a little.

• 4 weeks later...

SFmom! How did I miss this when you posted it? Maybe it is just as well ... I am only now starting to understand how the yeast could complicate the prognosis. Backing off on treatment when the yeast makes things worse makes sense. I think that is kind of what we are doing right now (if you get a chance to look at my post "Dx Lyme - after PEX (update #4)" let me know what you think. Thank you!!!

RNMom: I was re-watching some of the DVDs from the ILADS conference yesterday and Dr. H talked about how the DIE-OFF from Lyme/co-infection causes a yeast response not just antibiotic use. So, my guess is you are contending with both antibiotic use and die-off at this time. They typically address the yeast but if it continues to be a problem they back off on treatment regimen.

Hope that helps a little.

• 1 month later...

Resurrecting this post.

It has been suggested to me that I have this test done as a basic screen for now. Has anyone had any experiences with this test? Did it give you much to go on? Did you have to follow it up with Western Blot/igenex? Also, I have heard that this is a good test for someone who is too sick to have reaction on the igenex. Currently, I would not put myself or my sons into that category b/c we have had so many interventions to enhance/balance the immune system (mb12 shots, LDN and the list goes on and on). We seem to be doing things backwards, does this seem like the right test for us?

My four boys and I have had this testing done. It is supposed to be 'cutting edge'. The ITT part tests for antigens and is said to be more sensitive than the Western Blot. There are three 'sections' to this test..... ITT, Cytokines, and Western Blot. We found out we all have Lyme from this testing. Because part of this is supposed to be more sensitive than WB it would make sense to me that it could pick Lyme up in an individual that was not mounting a strong antibody response. This is the case with us. Also, it can help determine at what stage in the disease process you are at. I do not know if I agree with that part of the test based on the symptoms here. I hope this helps.

My four boys and I have had this testing done. It is supposed to be 'cutting edge'. The ITT part tests for antigens and is said to be more sensitive than the Western Blot. There are three 'sections' to this test..... ITT, Cytokines, and Western Blot. We found out we all have Lyme from this testing. Because part of this is supposed to be more sensitive than WB it would make sense to me that it could pick Lyme up in an individual that was not mounting a strong antibody response. This is the case with us. Also, it can help determine at what stage in the disease process you are at. I do not know if I agree with that part of the test based on the symptoms here. I hope this helps.

Yes, this helps! I looked at your first post in this thread again. If you don't mind telling me, did the western blots come back positive for any of you?

Stephanie -

None of us showed up CDC positive. Some have equivocal bands. Some have a positive band. Some have no bands. None of us are clearly positive on the Western Blot. This is why I am so happy that we did the NeuroScience testing or I think we would still be scratching our heads here. It is interesting that the ones who show the least clinical symptoms are the most positive on the tests and vise versa. This makes me agree that the sicker people, who may not mount the proper response, will benefit from this type of testing.

So, if you don't mind what did you do next? Bring everyone to an LLMD? Have you considered following this up with provocation testing? Maybe in your mind you do not need the positive bands, but doesn't your insurance company need that for reimbursement?

Where are you currently in treatment? Any results yet?

thanks

So, if you don't mind what did you do next? Bring everyone to an LLMD? Have you considered following this up with provocation testing? Maybe in your mind you do not need the positive bands, but doesn't your insurance company need that for reimbursement?

Where are you currently in treatment? Any results yet?

thanks

I PM'd you.