ACN Latitudes Forums

Omnicef ?

mk8898

We have been on augmentin for about 14 months (11 year old son). However, we are fighting a sinus infection. Allergy/sinus dr gave us a prescription for omnicef for 10 days. So for 10 days we will not be on augmentin, which makes me nervous b/c he is showing some forms of pandas that we haven't seen in awhile. I understand that the omnicef will get some of the bacteria that the augmentin will not. Has anyone been on omnicef for a short time and switched back to Augmentin??

Thanks so much.

My daughter has not used augmentin at all when she was being treated for PANDAS.

She has been on full strength omnicef for about 6 mos, and then we dropped her down to half the strength for a prophylaxis.

Can I just suggest...that if you see significant improvement on the 10 days of omnicef, you consider not switching back to augmentin. Obviously, you need to be comfortable with that, and your doctor needs to be on board.

You see, I tend to think that if something is working...you should not change it up. So, I just wanted to throw out there that if you see a lot of improvement on the omnicef -- it could be an option to keep your son on it, and you don't have to switch back to the augmentin.

As always, go with your mommy gut.

My understading is that Omnicef is one of the abx that works "extracellular" (on the outside of the cell) compared with something like Zithromax which works "intracellular."

I'm not sure how Augmentin works.

We started with Omnicef and saw a little progress, but switched to Zith and got a lot.

So which abx to use may depend on where the infection is (intra or extra cellular). Unfortunately, I don't think there is a way to figure that out other than trial and error.

This is just my understanding - someone else please chime in if you understand it differently or can explain it better.

We have been on augmentin for about 14 months (11 year old son). However, we are fighting a sinus infection. Allergy/sinus dr gave us a prescription for omnicef for 10 days. So for 10 days we will not be on augmentin, which makes me nervous b/c he is showing some forms of pandas that we haven't seen in awhile. I understand that the omnicef will get some of the bacteria that the augmentin will not. Has anyone been on omnicef for a short time and switched back to Augmentin??

Thanks so much.

We weren't on Augmentin to start, we were on Azith, full dose for 3 1/2 months or so followed by half dose for another 5 or so. While on the half dose, we got strep 2x. Both of those infections we switched to Omnicef (and a shot of Rocefin) and his PANDAS symptoms cleared back to "baseline" fairly quickly (we wern't 100% at the time of reinfection).

We switched full time to Omnicef about 2 months ago or so on Dr. Murphy's recommendation. We're still seeing improvement, (we've been hanging around at about 85% or so, with some blips from exposures here and there), but it's different than on the azith.

With the azith, we would have stretches of time (a few days all the way to almost 2 weeks!) almost symptom free (his breakfast ritual would always linger), but when he had a small outburst - it lasted for DAYS before we got back to where we started. With the Omnicef, we're not having those long stretches anymore. We're having outbursts avery day/every other day or so, but they're "manageable". If he has an issue in the morning at breakfast, we can bring him out of it, and then he's fine the rest of the day. On the Azith, if he had an issue with his breakfast ritual in the morning, his OCD anxiety and tics were on high for a few days.

I sort of miss the stretches of calm, but this new pattern has allowed us to really work on what he's learning in therapy better.

Bottom line, if you see results you like with the Omnicef - consider keeping him on it. And I wouldn't be scared of switching it up, most folks on here had to try several with some/limited results until they found what worked for their childs needs.

My son was on Omnicef 250 mg x 2 day for about three years. He did get some bowel issues but it could have been related to Strattera he was on too. It was not C Dif but he had a lot of trouble with pooping and smearing it on things and encopresis so we stopped both the Omnicef and Strattera. He did have a bad episode over the summer with hand foot and mouth and OCD symptoms returned and tics because his ASO was high. The ped put him on Amox clav for 12 days 800 mg daily. Then he went on Pen vk 250 x twice a day. He is still having issues and I would love to try azith to try to get rid of the risidual symptoms. We have never had any luck getting azith longterm. Why were you changing from azith? It does seem everyone has had different luck with different antibiotics. Just like no two PANDAS kids are the same, they don't have the same reaction to treatment. Too bad it isn't one treatment fits all though! It would make life easier. name='airial95' timestamp='1290437719' post='93341']

We weren't on Augmentin to start, we were on Azith, full dose for 3 1/2 months or so followed by half dose for another 5 or so. While on the half dose, we got strep 2x. Both of those infections we switched to Omnicef (and a shot of Rocefin) and his PANDAS symptoms cleared back to "baseline" fairly quickly (we wern't 100% at the time of reinfection).

We switched full time to Omnicef about 2 months ago or so on Dr. Murphy's recommendation. We're still seeing improvement, (we've been hanging around at about 85% or so, with some blips from exposures here and there), but it's different than on the azith.

With the azith, we would have stretches of time (a few days all the way to almost 2 weeks!) almost symptom free (his breakfast ritual would always linger), but when he had a small outburst - it lasted for DAYS before we got back to where we started. With the Omnicef, we're not having those long stretches anymore. We're having outbursts avery day/every other day or so, but they're "manageable". If he has an issue in the morning at breakfast, we can bring him out of it, and then he's fine the rest of the day. On the Azith, if he had an issue with his breakfast ritual in the morning, his OCD anxiety and tics were on high for a few days.

I sort of miss the stretches of calm, but this new pattern has allowed us to really work on what he's learning in therapy better.

Bottom line, if you see results you like with the Omnicef - consider keeping him on it. And I wouldn't be scared of switching it up, most folks on here had to try several with some/limited results until they found what worked for their childs needs.

michele,

We switched from the azith on the advice of Dr. Murphy. While most of her research was using Omnicef, it's obvious why she preferred that. But she seemed to think that since we got strep 2x on azith, it might not be the best thing for it. There mustsome pretty azith resiliant strains of strep here in Florida or something! :wacko: