ACN Latitudes Forums

What do these blood test results mean?

So, long story short. My 8 yr old son started ticcing when he was 5 1\2. I usually read the tourettes board and i apologize if the answer to my question is somewhere in previous posts. Does anyone have any idea how to read this and or what it means? For his blood Anti-ds DNA 37.2 (up to 200.0) IU/ml and his ASO titre 242 HI (should be < 65) IU/ml. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

Vanessa

So, long story short. My 8 yr old son started ticcing when he was 5 1\2. I usually read the tourettes board and i apologize if the answer to my question is somewhere in previous posts. Does anyone have any idea how to read this and or what it means? For his blood Anti-ds DNA 37.2 (up to 200.0) IU/ml and his ASO titre 242 HI (should be < 65) IU/ml. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

Vanessa

I'm going to refer you here:

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3756&st=0#entry29305

And here is more discussion:

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3756&pid=29305&mode=threaded&start=#entry29305

thank you

Vanessa

Vanessa.....

As you probably read..that ASO is high and indicative of a strep infection (diagnosed or not)...but, what I reaaly wanted to tell you is that the other test you mentioned is called an Anti-double stranded DNA test....it is NOT the test you should have done to test for strep antibodies....that test is called the AntiDNAase B titer.....they are easily confused...make sure you get the correct one.

thank you

Vanessa

Vanessa.....

As you probably read..that ASO is high and indicative of a strep infection (diagnosed or not)...but, what I reaaly wanted to tell you is that the other test you mentioned is called an Anti-double stranded DNA test....it is NOT the test you should have done to test for strep antibodies....that test is called the AntiDNAase B titer.....they are easily confused...make sure you get the correct one.

Yes! i noticed that too and i was thinking it didn't look right. Thats so frustrating I know it was written correctly in the req' so the lab totally made a mistake.

Yep....frustrating....the exact same thing happened to me.......the lab ran the double stranded DNA test instead of the AntiDNAase B the first time we had labs done after onset. If you had the blood drawn recently...call and see if they still have the blood and can run the correct test off it (they usually hold for a week or two)...that is what I did. It will save you a blood draw...those are never easy.

Edited by P.Mom

Yep....frustrating....the exact same thing happened to me.......the lab ran the double stranded DNA test instead of the AntiDNAase B the first time we had labs done after onset. If you had the blood drawn recently...call and see if they still have the blood and can run the correct test off it (they usually hold for a week or two)...that is what I did. It will save you a blood draw...those are never easy.

yes, thank you. Actually on hold now with my fingers crossed hoping they still have the sample.

yes, thank you. Actually on hold now with my fingers crossed hoping they still have the sample.

P.Mom, they no longer have the blood. I understand that PANDA's is complicated for various reasons. Seeing that his ASO Titre was high is it necessary to get the AntiDNAase B done as well?