ACN Latitudes Forums

asking for prayers please

mommynme

I am asking for prayers please. My 6 year old daughter started tics in May of this year. I spend most of my spare time on here reading, reading, and reading. I can also say that i became much closer to God with all of this happening. Reading my bible and praying for guidance, answers, strength and patience to get through this horrible time...most of all for the healing of my daughter. The tics started becoming fewer and less noticeable with bonnie's supplements. i never reached 10 a day. my daughter will do no more than 3 in the morning and 3 in the evening. i am able to give her kids calm at night too. we do epsom salt baths maybe twice a week. However, the tics are increasing again and getting more noticeable...still don"t think others notice them but, it scares me! I find myself getting so angry with God because i am just so confused and lost and feel so helpless!! I read all of the many, many possibilities of tic triggers, but keep praying for the right direction. I know that He is always here and listening, and that He will answer in His own perfect timing, but my depression and anger get the better part of me! I need prayers for patience and guidance. I know God is good all the time, it is just that i feel like my heart is breaking into tiny pieces, and i keep praying for strength and wisdom, and to be honest i feel so alone, and lost, and weak!! My husband gets so angry when i bring up the 'habits', he won't call them tics! he tells me that our daughter is fine and that i worry too much!! I would feel so much better if i knew someone else was praying for me and my daughter......so with tears falling down as i type this, i really do hope that you will find time to pray for us both!! Thank you all and may God Bless you!

I am asking for prayers please. My 6 year old daughter started tics in May of this year. I spend most of my spare time on here reading, reading, and reading. I can also say that i became much closer to God with all of this happening. Reading my bible and praying for guidance, answers, strength and patience to get through this horrible time...most of all for the healing of my daughter. The tics started becoming fewer and less noticeable with bonnie's supplements. i never reached 10 a day. my daughter will do no more than 3 in the morning and 3 in the evening. i am able to give her kids calm at night too. we do epsom salt baths maybe twice a week. However, the tics are increasing again and getting more noticeable...still don"t think others notice them but, it scares me! I find myself getting so angry with God because i am just so confused and lost and feel so helpless!! I read all of the many, many possibilities of tic triggers, but keep praying for the right direction. I know that He is always here and listening, and that He will answer in His own perfect timing, but my depression and anger get the better part of me! I need prayers for patience and guidance. I know God is good all the time, it is just that i feel like my heart is breaking into tiny pieces, and i keep praying for strength and wisdom, and to be honest i feel so alone, and lost, and weak!! My husband gets so angry when i bring up the 'habits', he won't call them tics! he tells me that our daughter is fine and that i worry too much!! I would feel so much better if i knew someone else was praying for me and my daughter......so with tears falling down as i type this, i really do hope that you will find time to pray for us both!! Thank you all and may God Bless you!

i hang on the pandas board mostly...but with tears in my eyes and COMPLETE understanding!!! lets pray for each others families!!!

My prayers will remain lifted for you. Never forget that God loves your daughter even more than you do :wub:

I know how hard it is when we want to fix whatever is wrong for our children. That is what moms do! and so we feel helpless and afraid when we don't have the answers to make things right. Please don't give up hope.

When I was at my lowest point once with my son in severe waxing, a friend surprised me by telling me to read a forum for parents with terminally ill kids. At first I was taken aback...I had expected her sympathy, not this!! But she was right. I got things back in perspective . I had to accept the reality of TS, while having clearer vision to keep searching for the right way to help make things better for my son. I stopped insisting on a "cure" as being the only answer to my prayer...and instead prayed for guidance and strength to help him have the best life possible, even if he was not "cured".

I pray you will have that peace that passes all understanding, and that you will have clear guidance and direction going forward.

Isn't it astonishing that a noise, movement or word can stop us dead in our tracks and cause such fear and anxiety. I too have many times asked why my son? why us? I've been angry and then fearful and then looked for all the why's, what could I have done different's, and what if's. But at the end of it all it doesn't change a thing.

At the beginning I fought "labelling" my child and was fearful of what others would think and how they would react. I wanted him fixed and I wanted it now....then I realized I was losing sight of my son and only seeing his tics. I was doing what I was afraid everyone else would do! Funny enough, accepting this disorder and naming it was a release for myself and my son. He now was armed with information and a name for the noises he was making, and better yet home became a very safe and comfortable place for him to tic if he needed to tic (which he definately did).

I find this goes in stages almost like mourning the loss of what we perceive as "our perfect children" and then when the dread dies away you build yourself back up with each little step forward. These kids are amazing and far more resilient than us!

In the words of Max Lucado:

'Know answered pray when you see it, and don't give up when you dont.'

'As much as you can, give thanks. He has already given us more than we deserve.'

A cure may not be the answer we're given but there are answers...have faith... and when you can't fight anymore let God do it for you.

You are not alone, we are an army of parents battling alongside eachother.

Megan

So sorry to hear about your despair. Funny you mentioned your husband saying it's no big deal, while your inside is twisting and turning. The same thing, here, I cannot stop reading and trying to gain control of this. I also read Chemar's reply, which I found very helpful, in fact, I visited a blog for terminally ill children, and immediately felt like a big idiot for worrying SO MUCH. Nothing wrong with fighting to help your child, but yes, we should keep it in perspective, and remember that it could be much worse. Don't give up, keep reading, you will get better and better at managing this. I will pray for you, and all of us with very special children..... Giulia

I will absolutely pray for you & your daughter because I could have written every single word of your post myself, other then the fact that my husband calls them "tics".

I think this board is part of healing, I truly do. I've been having a really hard week and just spent two hours in the therapists office and she told me my breakthrough will come when I stop holding onto my anger and holding out for a cure or complete recovery that might never come. She told me I need to be there for DS, help him cope and give him the love & guidance he needs to have a good life. Also, I am slowly trying to remind myself that just because God hasn't cured my DS of his tics, doesn't mean he can't still "heal" him (& me for that matter). I think healing comes in different forms.

Anyway, I get home from the therapist and read these words from Chemar to you...

I stopped insisting on a "cure" as being the only answer to my prayer...and instead prayed for guidance and strength to help him have the best life possible, even if he was not "cured".

Coincidence? I doubt it...

God Bless & take care of yourself! You are not alone.

~Lynn

I think we've all been there, done that on how we feel about our kid's tics and co-morbid conditions. I'd love to pray for you!

Last month, dh and I went to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico for vacation and my mom stayed with my ds to watch him for 5 days. When I returned I asked my mom how his tics were and she said, "What tics? I hadn't noticed them." So, I look over at ds and I see his shoulder shrugging, his eye blinking, etc and I wonder how my mother couldn't possibly see them. I mean, the boy hasn't had a tic free day in 3 years. What I finally realized was that I had become hypersensitive to every little mouth movement, every shrug, and every blink. My mom, on the other hand, just doesn't focus on that stuff. I need to learn to take a lesson from my mom. If she didn't even notice them when she was here for 5 days, were they really that bad to begin with or do I just over-react to the severity of them? But, believe me, I'm still learning! Some days I just catch myself staring at him trying to determine which moves are tics or which moves are just him being silly that day, LOL!

Bonnie

thank you all so much for your kind and encouraging words. bonnie, i know exactly what you mean...my mom all the time says, i did not notice anything today, and i think how could you not notice...yes, i am constantly waiting and watching, while at the same time trying not to let my daughter see me 'observing' her. the last thing i want is for her to feel self conscious or like something is wrong with her. i just literally hurt so bad.

i know what you all mean about praying for healing. i too have prayed for "healing", not necessarily a cure. I want nothing more than to just love her and be happy, and i just get so darn angry when i feel the opposite...sad, worried, angry! my relationship with my husband is just crazy too! he doesn't understand at all what i am feeling, and won't even try to. he just tells me he is not not talking about this b/c it is nothing...that i need to leave it all alone....he informed me last night that he wants me to stop the bonnies vitamins. he thinks a 6 year old girl should not be taking all those pills!! part of me feels the same way, but i am scared to death if i stop them, her tics will only get worse and more frequent...again, i am praying for guidance...a right path!

so yes, i do pray for a cure, not just for my daughter, but for tourettes/tic disorders. in fact, last night i thought about a sermon my pastor gave a couple months ago...he wanted everyone to pray for our government everyday before 8am, for the next like 6 months(don't remember the time line)...so i thought last night, you know, there is power in prayer, so i will be saying a pray every morning before i leave for work...a prayer for a cure for TS, tic disorders. hopefully others will join me...with God all things are possible. there may not be a cure now, but i have to have hope in the idea of a cure. and if God is willing, a cure will be found!!! i know so many of you pray already, but i just thought if i set a time aside every single morning, at the same time, that maybe....well, you know! all i know is it can't hurt to add more prayer!!!!

lately i have been asking the Holy Spirit to make intercession for me because i no longer no what to pray for...a cure, healing for me or for my daughter, for me to just have understanding and live with the tics, to test her for allergies, to test for metals, etc. a hundred different possibilities.....but i have no idea which path to take!!!

again, thank you all so, so much for your kind words and thoughtfulness...will keep you updated if anything should change!

I'm so glad I checked in today.

Remember... God will never let your CROSS be one inch too long, or one ounce too heavy for you to carry.

I'm a Catholic and one of the things that helped me soooo much was to meditate on the Seven Sorrows of Our Lady. As a mother too I was able to connect so deeply with our Lord's mother and how even she could not escape suffering. There is something special in suffering or Our Lord would not have suffered so much.

Praying that this sorrow you are feeling at this time is also linked with little bits of joy to help you through, until you wake every morning and the first thing you think of is NOT TS. It's a wonderful feeling.

God Bless,

cp

I'm so glad I checked in today.

Remember... God will never let your CROSS be one inch too long, or one ounce too heavy for you to carry.

I'm a Catholic and one of the things that helped me soooo much was to meditate on the Seven Sorrows of Our Lady. As a mother too I was able to connect so deeply with our Lord's mother and how even she could not escape suffering. There is something special in suffering or Our Lord would not have suffered so much.

Praying that this sorrow you are feeling at this time is also linked with little bits of joy to help you through, until you wake every morning and the first thing you think of is NOT TS. It's a wonderful feeling.

God Bless,

cp

oh, to be able to wake up and not immediately think of TS, to be able to go to sleep not praying that the tics will go away, rather just praising my God for His answered prayers, to be able to sleep an entire night without waking up and thinking about TS, to be able to watch my daughter play without waiting for her tics to show, to be able to hold her in my arms without feeling her little body tense and jerk...i feel as though a time will never come! i am so ready to fall on my knees and thank God for allowing these hard days to pass. I am so ready to stop being so angry at Him! I am sooo ready to feel just happy again! I am starting to think most days now, that I am the one with the real problem...

My heart goes out to you. I can hear my own husband saying "it's nothing to be worried about". I only fear someone ridiculing my son down the road and the pain of a child and with all the bullying going on these days. I hope that you are OK and I am thinking of you and your daughter. This is a great website and forum where you can reach out to people and those that will truly understand. I am still batting my husband on admitting there could be a possible "problem". Right away he says it's an "allergy"....well, a mom knows, it's not an allergy. I am only in the beginning stages and we have minimal/small 'tics' that are rearing their heads, compared to others I have read about...but I'm still already in a panic and trying to "fix" the problem as quickly as possible. I was so happy the eye blinking went away last year and now i'm so upset and saddened that they came back again and with added items. I say "why?" and this is just not fair!! Hope you are ok and i'll praying for you from the sidelines.

• 1 month later...

things are ok right now. i am still trying to find some peace and trying very hard to get my hopes back up! my daughter still tics. she has an arm stretching thing going on and throat clearing. these seem to be the main ones right now and they have been the main/only ones for about 5-6 weeks now, although they really are not noticeable to anyone but me!! she is still on 6 TS-plus a day, along with quercetin at night( i feel the quercetin took her sniffing away- may have been coincidence, but hey sniffing is gone, at least for now!!) i thank God that the eye blinking went away, as well as the neck jerking!! i continue to read and pray everyday, searching for the perfect 'thing' to have her tic-free...may not ever happen, but i believe that with God all things are possible! i would love to do delayed food sensitivity testing, but i just hate to have her go through bloodwork right now, plus i don't even know if all allergists can order these types of tests??? she is already ready to stop taking her vitamins. i hate making her take them. i think when we finish this bottle, we have about a week left, i may let her take a break form the TS-Plus, since i don't know if they are working, or if we are in a waning mode??? at least if the tics come back strong, i will know that TS-Plus was helping and then i won't feel so bad for making her take so many vitamins---i will know if they are really helping her tics!! SO, FOR NOW I CONTINUE TO PRAY! I JUST WANT TO GET BACK TO WHERE I SEE MY BEAUTIFUL, SMART, KIND, AND LOVING DAUGHTER AND NOT HER TICS!!!! i know that sounds so easy to do, but i am struggling...when i look at her i keep wwaiting to see her tic, and i truly hate myself for that!! i miss my care-free and fun relationship with her the most!!! always, wondering if what she is eating will make her tic more, or arguing with my husband about no TV for her because she tics way more when watching TV....uuughhh!!! just praying for the light at the end of the tunnel, some peace, lots of happiness....i miss feeling really happy!! so, i probably wasn't much help to you, but that's how things are going right now! hopefully very soon, i will be able to have a better update!!