ACN Latitudes Forums

58 kd and LLMD

lfran

Thank you to those of you who responded to my post yesterday.

I have done some searching and calling and found a medical group in Torrance, CA that seems to have LLMDs on staff. Their website lists many bands that they say are specific to Lyme, including 31 and 58 (58 is of interest to me, as my DS had it in both IGG and IGM).

But....I can't find anywhere else that says that 58 kd is diagnostic for Lyme. Can anyone help me out?

Also, has anyone been to these docs?

Thanks in advance.

I have seen some posts on lymenet where people post generic discussions on the western blot, and they have included 58 as diagnostic/specific for lyme as much as the other ones. They're always so hard to find, but I think if you keep googling for lyme western blot interpretations, you'll see it pretty consistently on the list.

Ifran-

I would be more concerned with the IND 31. That's probably why Igenex recommended re-testing in 4 weeks or testing in another way. Here is some info I received from our llmd:

There are eight known Bb genus specie specific KDA Western Blot antibodies (bands) 18,23,30,31,34,39,83 & 93. Only ONE of these Bb bands is needed to confirm that there is serological evidence of exposure to the Bb spirochete and can confirm a clinical diagnosis of Lyme disease.

CDC WB IGM includes only two Bb specific antibodies (23,39) and excludes the other six antibodies. CDC IGG excludes bands 31,34,83.

CDC wrongfully includes five non-specific cross reacting antibodies in its WB surveillance criteria: 28,41,45,58,66. This leads to the possibility of false positive Lyme Western Blots. There can be no false positives if only Bb genus specific antibodies are considered.

Ifran-

I would be more concerned with the IND 31. That's probably why Igenex recommended re-testing in 4 weeks or testing in another way. Here is some info I received from our llmd:

There are eight known Bb genus specie specific KDA Western Blot antibodies (bands) 18,23,30,31,34,39,83 & 93. Only ONE of these Bb bands is needed to confirm that there is serological evidence of exposure to the Bb spirochete and can confirm a clinical diagnosis of Lyme disease.

CDC WB IGM includes only two Bb specific antibodies (23,39) and excludes the other six antibodies. CDC IGG excludes bands 31,34,83.

CDC wrongfully includes five non-specific cross reacting antibodies in its WB surveillance criteria: 28,41,45,58,66. This leads to the possibility of false positive Lyme Western Blots. There can be no false positives if only Bb genus specific antibodies are considered.

Edited by lyme mom

Thanks.

I contacted them about follow-up 31 kd testing, but they had discarded the blood already as it had been over 3 months.

I plan on retesting, just not sure which of the tests to do. I expect to have a game plan in the next few days.

Anyone else out there in Southern California? Any local resources or LLMDs to recommend?

My attitude about IND (especially for band 31) is where there is smoke there is fire. My first test was IND for band 31 and later my results were positive. I know others whose IND results were later positive or confirmed in the follow up test for band 31.