ACN Latitudes Forums

Dental Work Whoa!

It has been 12 weeks since my son's HD IVIG and he remains on 800 mg augmentin 2x per day. Overall-amazing improvements. We have our boy back!! Today, he went to the dentist and had his teeth cleaned as well as a very small cavity filled and 2 sealants. Got home and Whoa! Pandas rage for about 30 minutes (they used to be 2 hours). Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or is this a blip.

Edited by pandasstl

I agree with DCMom. I would hate to see what a major dental problem would cause. We never noticed any problems with the cleanings, other than anxiety beforehand. But we didn't know about PANDAS then, and we weren't looking for any association between his behaviour and the dentist. Fillings are another matter. This summer DS7(then 6) had his first 2 small cavities filled. This was done at 6 p.m. After he came around from the gas he started repetitive shrieking, which he continued doing until he passed out at 1 a.m. We didn't know about PANDAS then either. I am used to the rages, the meltdowns, and the shrieking. But after that many hours of non-stop shrieking I was rattled. For the rest of that week his throat hurt and his voice was strained, and that led to more shrieking and meltdowns all week. Not fun.

My son has autism and PANDAS. I do recall his DAN dr saying not to give him gas for dental procedures due to a genetic issue

that effects many kids with autism. Gas and certain anesthesia can cause major regression for my guy.

For dental work we give him a valium for anxiety and novacaine for pain.

Also flouride can have a neurotoxic effect. We skip that treatment.

We do not see regression with dental work.

Well, we see regression with just ordinary things like cutting new teeth, maybe because of the inflammation. There is NO WAY to do dental work, even an exam w/o sedation in my daughter's case. She just can not be still enough for somebody to stick sharp things in her mouth.

Is it becasue of the bacteria in your mouth?

I have heart issues, and have had to take antibiotics prior to dental work, even cleaning, but its only a couple days.

My husband (no heath issues) reecntly had some major surgery in his mouth and had to take some pretty heavy duty antibiotics for days before and after oral surgery.

Are all the kids reacting to dental work here pitand (not just pandas?) , perhaps they are reacting to the direct influx of bacteria into theri blood?

Is it becasue of the bacteria in your mouth?

I have heart issues, and have had to take antibiotics prior to dental work, even cleaning, but its only a couple days.

My husband (no heath issues) reecntly had some major surgery in his mouth and had to take some pretty heavy duty antibiotics for days before and after oral surgery.

Are all the kids reacting to dental work here pitand (not just pandas?) , perhaps they are reacting to the direct influx of bacteria into theri blood?