ACN Latitudes Forums

sickness is gone - but now all the tics

mythree

My daughter who is 10 has been doing very very well with her tics. We hardly noticed any tics and we were very excited that perhaps the supplements/vitamins were working. Just this last week or so she got a chest infection (they didn't test for strep - but I wish they did)and then got the chicken pox. She is on Biaxin. The illness (coughing, sniffing etc) has cleared up, but now she is doing a repetitive cough over and over, I can hear her throat getting raw. She thinks she is still sick. I can tell the 'real' cough has turned into a tic. She keeps lifting her hand to her nose and sniffing over and over like when she had a runny nose. Has anyone else had anything like this?? Almost like she got into the pattern when she was sick, and now the sickness has gone, but the pattern of coughing and sniffing have stayed?? UGH. Also if she knocks one elbow on the table, for example, she immediately knocks the other one.

I guess just keep plugging on with the vitamins and supplements - just curious if anyone else has had anything like this?

Thanks!

Lisa

Yes, just recently. First, my son was doing extremely well for over two months; I honestly had the nerve to believe we were really onto something with the supplements & diet.

Then he had a mouth injury and of course his most hateful (IMO) tics came back - the grimacing & low grunt. He doesn't usually notice his tics, but today he told me he's trying to stop doing it, he said it doesn't really bother him, but I still wanted to drive a stake through my heart!

So, his mouth starts to heal & of course he get's a cold and exact same thing as you, the cold is pretty much over but the pattern of coughing and sniffing have stayed.

As for the elbows, I never experienced it, but did read about a girl in one of the TSA newsletters that said that was one of her tics.

We are plugging on with the vitamins and supplements, but honestly now I think it's more my husband then me. I still do the work, but he wants to keep pressing on.

Personally I'm about ready to check myself in to the nearest psych ward (and please understand, I truly don't mean that with any levity or disrespect).

Best Wishes,

Lynn

Hi mythree

what you are describing almost sounds like tourettic OCD patterns.

With chicken pox being part of the Herpes virusfamily, I guess you may be seeing a PITAND type reaction with this waxing. Pity they did not check for strep just in case.

There is also always the possibility that you see the waxing as part of a die off reaction (herxing) of the microbes being killed by the antibiotic. Not sure what all Biaxin takes out?

Do keep going with the healthy nutrients and supps, and maybe also add good antimicrobial foods like the raw local organic honey and garlic, coconuts if she tolerates them, turmeric etc

hope she feels much better soon.

Yes, just recently. First, my son was doing extremely well for over two months; I honestly had the nerve to believe we were really onto something with the supplements & diet.

Then he had a mouth injury and of course his most hateful (IMO) tics came back - the grimacing & low grunt. He doesn't usually notice his tics, but today he told me he's trying to stop doing it, he said it doesn't really bother him, but I still wanted to drive a stake through my heart!

So, his mouth starts to heal & of course he get's a cold and exact same thing as you, the cold is pretty much over but the pattern of coughing and sniffing have stayed.

As for the elbows, I never experienced it, but did read about a girl in one of the TSA newsletters that said that was one of her tics.

We are plugging on with the vitamins and supplements, but honestly now I think it's more my husband then me. I still do the work, but he wants to keep pressing on.

Personally I'm about ready to check myself in to the nearest psych ward (and please understand, I truly don't mean that with any levity or disrespect).

Best Wishes,

Lynn

Lynn,

I know how you are feeling. I am tired of every waking moment being about her tics or lack of tics. Less tics seems to equal a good day for me, I could be having a great day and she walks in the door and she has a new tic that I deem 'not a good tic -- as in really noticable' and my good day is over. Also the daily investigation of food, supplements, vitamins etc etc. Anyway -- not going to complain too much LOL, for I know there will be an upturn.

She has had tics in the past where she snapped and thrusted her arms so violently that she was unable to keep her pencil in her hand - it would keep flying across the room - so she was unable to do any school work. Those came back once, but not as severe. She also had one where she would keep thrusting her back into an arch so hard, and then go down on all 4's into a cat stretch. She did it so violently that she had to have a series of MRI's, for they thought she had a fracture in her spine. I didn't know that was a tic at the time and had no idea what was going on. so i guess, the coughing and sniffing tics are very 'good tics' in comparison to those. I have to keep telling myself that this too shall pass.

Good luck to you. Lets hope both are children start to go back into the good place that we were enjoying so much.

Hi mythree

what you are describing almost sounds like tourettic OCD patterns.

With chicken pox being part of the Herpes virusfamily, I guess you may be seeing a PITAND type reaction with this waxing. Pity they did not check for strep just in case.

There is also always the possibility that you see the waxing as part of a die off reaction (herxing) of the microbes being killed by the antibiotic. Not sure what all Biaxin takes out?

Do keep going with the healthy nutrients and supps, and maybe also add good antimicrobial foods like the raw local organic honey and garlic, coconuts if she tolerates them, turmeric etc

hope she feels much better soon.

Thank you! I have read about Pandas but I am not familiar with PITAND. I will do some searches on the website to find out more info. The die off with the biaxin makes sense. She loves honey, but I have never tried coconuts with her. I will give that a try too.

She is so prone to Strep, she gets it a lot. When my husband took her to the clinic, they said a chest infection and to go on Biaxin. He mentioned strep, and they said there was no reason to test for it, since the Biaxin would work for that too. He didn't really think to push it and get her tested anyway. I was disappointed.

Thank you for your reply.

Lisa

Lisa

if she is prone to strep then you really should check into PANDAS/PITAND more

PANDAS = Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorder Associated with Streptococcus (ie strep induced)

PITAND= Pediatric INFECTION Triggered Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorder (ie triggered by an infective agent)

(basically, PANDAS is a type of PITAND that is strep induced)

have you looked at our PANDAS/PITAND forum here

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=17

Lisa

if she is prone to strep then you really should check into PANDAS/PITAND more

PANDAS = Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorder Associated with Streptococcus (ie strep induced)

PITAND= Pediatric INFECTION Triggered Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorder (ie triggered by an infective agent)

(basically, PANDAS is a type of PITAND that is strep induced)

have you looked at our PANDAS/PITAND forum here

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=17

Thanks I will spend some time on that forum. I thought there was a sudden onset of tics - when it came to PANDAS. I don't remember that type of thing - such as going to bed 'normal' and waking up the next day with a ton of tics and OCD behaviours. She did just start having tics one day - but at the time I didn't realise they were tics. Not until I looked back over the years. I will research it some more. Thanks for steering me in that direction.