ACN Latitudes Forums

This cereal has helped my son.

Cristo

Hi,

I also posted this information in the tourette/tic forum. I have decided to pass this along onto this forum, because I strongly suspect that my son had pandas along with tics. His strep titers were high, and he was jutting out his jaw, rolling his eyes, looking up, turning his head a lot, shrugging his shoulder a lot, more emotional than usual, his printing wasn't as neat, he went to the bathroom a lot, he became fearful of things, and needed us around all the time suddenly, his teacher actually called us last year to ask us "what happened to Sebastian...he used to be such a great little boy...now all he does is talk in class, interrupt lessons, turn to talk to the person behind him, and his writing skills have gone down." She said that "this is not the same boy who was in my class all year." After a few courses of azithromycin, things subsided. I stopped chocolate, dairy, wheat, and sugar. Sugar seemed to be a big one. He got more sleep too. I also discovered a cereal that seems to really help. Here is the story that I posted on the other site:

I just wanted to pass along something that I have found helpful. My child is in grade 2 and had a lot of tics, and reacted severely after having an illness. I now jump and get antibiotics as soon as he has a fever. Plus...I give him Nestle Rice Cereal...the kind that you give the really small babies...the stage one formula that says add water. I found that the original formula really worked well, probably because it is gluten free, with minimal milk, and it has a lot of vitamins. The best formula is the original one, that has the picture of the bear on it, not the one with the baby on it, which is the new formula. The original packaging has a blue teddy bear on it, and the new formula has the word Gerber on it, and the picture of the Gerber baby. They changed the vitamins percentages, and took out B6 out of their formula. He says "I want the baby cereal" and I have instructed him to tell the kids at school that he has "rice cereal" for breakfast. They don't need to know that it is baby cereal.

Does anyone think that the mix of vitamins in the infant baby cereal by Nestle (add water) original formula...could be beneficial?

It is probably a mix of the following:

1) epsom salt baths

2) Nestle Baby Cereal - Rice - Add Water... every day

3) going to bed early and being rested

4) not doing a lot of activities, and not stressing about school

5) Praying and asking others to pray

6) laying down with my child to comfort him before bedtime and teling him nice stories, because falling asleep alone at night is still a stressful time for him, and hanging out with him, and being aware of what sets him off a little (sleep, hunger, stress, dust)

I find that whenever we have early hockey practice at 6 am it seems to be a stressor for him, and he easily gets sick. So, instead, we just rest for the rest of the day.

I don't know why he gets one day fevers, but I quickly jump on them by getting a prescription for azithromycin to prevent any of the crazy things that I have seen in the past.

God Bless all of our children, and please keep them safe and healthy. Please help us find the right things to help our children, away from harm. Guardian angels, please watch over our children, and keep them safe. Let us parents suffer, and not our children. Eliminate all tics and pandas from this world. I pray for all children and their parents who worry about them.

Here is the combination of vitamins. Please feel free to give me your feedback regarding the vitamin breakdown, and let me know if you think that it makes a difference.

vitamin a 0%

vitamin c0%

calcium 15%

iron 100%

vitamin e 10%

thiamine 100%

riboflavin 100%

niacin 80%

vitamin b6 6%

biotin 15%

vitamin b 12 100%

pantothenate 25%

iodide 20%

magnesium 25%

zinc 10%

It also says that it has prebiotics. Maybe this is also helpful.

Any feedback is appreciated.

I can't say I see anything in the cereal to really make a drastic diffrence, but if it is working for you I say keep it up.

I personaly have seen a big diffrence in just givng our son a magnesium supplement and cutting out sugar by 100%. for us as the same as you, sugar has major effects on our son and his moods.

Bridy

Hi,

I also posted this information in the tourette/tic forum. I have decided to pass this along onto this forum, because I strongly suspect that my son had pandas along with tics. His strep titers were high, and he was jutting out his jaw, rolling his eyes, looking up, turning his head a lot, shrugging his shoulder a lot, more emotional than usual, his printing wasn't as neat, he went to the bathroom a lot, he became fearful of things, and needed us around all the time suddenly, his teacher actually called us last year to ask us "what happened to Sebastian...he used to be such a great little boy...now all he does is talk in class, interrupt lessons, turn to talk to the person behind him, and his writing skills have gone down." She said that "this is not the same boy who was in my class all year." After a few courses of azithromycin, things subsided. I stopped chocolate, dairy, wheat, and sugar. Sugar seemed to be a big one. He got more sleep too. I also discovered a cereal that seems to really help. Here is the story that I posted on the other site:

I just wanted to pass along something that I have found helpful. My child is in grade 2 and had a lot of tics, and reacted severely after having an illness. I now jump and get antibiotics as soon as he has a fever. Plus...I give him Nestle Rice Cereal...the kind that you give the really small babies...the stage one formula that says add water. I found that the original formula really worked well, probably because it is gluten free, with minimal milk, and it has a lot of vitamins. The best formula is the original one, that has the picture of the bear on it, not the one with the baby on it, which is the new formula. The original packaging has a blue teddy bear on it, and the new formula has the word Gerber on it, and the picture of the Gerber baby. They changed the vitamins percentages, and took out B6 out of their formula. He says "I want the baby cereal" and I have instructed him to tell the kids at school that he has "rice cereal" for breakfast. They don't need to know that it is baby cereal.

Does anyone think that the mix of vitamins in the infant baby cereal by Nestle (add water) original formula...could be beneficial?

It is probably a mix of the following:

1) epsom salt baths

2) Nestle Baby Cereal - Rice - Add Water... every day

3) going to bed early and being rested

4) not doing a lot of activities, and not stressing about school

5) Praying and asking others to pray

6) laying down with my child to comfort him before bedtime and teling him nice stories, because falling asleep alone at night is still a stressful time for him, and hanging out with him, and being aware of what sets him off a little (sleep, hunger, stress, dust)

I find that whenever we have early hockey practice at 6 am it seems to be a stressor for him, and he easily gets sick. So, instead, we just rest for the rest of the day.

I don't know why he gets one day fevers, but I quickly jump on them by getting a prescription for azithromycin to prevent any of the crazy things that I have seen in the past.

God Bless all of our children, and please keep them safe and healthy. Please help us find the right things to help our children, away from harm. Guardian angels, please watch over our children, and keep them safe. Let us parents suffer, and not our children. Eliminate all tics and pandas from this world. I pray for all children and their parents who worry about them.

Here is the combination of vitamins. Please feel free to give me your feedback regarding the vitamin breakdown, and let me know if you think that it makes a difference.

vitamin a 0%

vitamin c0%

calcium 15%

iron 100%

vitamin e 10%

thiamine 100%

riboflavin 100%

niacin 80%

vitamin b6 6%

biotin 15%

vitamin b 12 100%

pantothenate 25%

iodide 20%

magnesium 25%

zinc 10%

It also says that it has prebiotics. Maybe this is also helpful.

Any feedback is appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that I have been using this cereal, and it has been helping. We had a horrible time last year when things started with strep and pneumonia and coughs too. My son went on a few weeks of azithromycin, I kept stress to a minimum, I did the stuff he wanted to do, which was soccer all summer, and didn't put pressure on his academics like I did before. Things changed with the azithromycin, but there were times when things would slide when sugar was added to the mix. Cod liver oil, flax oil, and fish oil are no nos. I did the wheat free thing, and the dairy free thing all summer.

Then I stumbled onto this great baby cereal that I remember giving him when he was small: Nestle Rice Cereal. I bought him the one that says to add water, and the one that says to add milk. I was trying to find cereals that didn't have corn, wheat or sugar, but were fortified. My real goal was to find something that was gluten free. So, I bought some of this, and he loved it. Yes, he was much too old to be doing the baby food thing, but rice cereal is rice cereal after all. He preferred the one that said to add water. So, there is a little bit of milk in it, but not enough to cause any reaction like the corn in other cereals, or the wheat or the sugar in other cereals.

He did amazingly on it, so I bought a lot of it. When it went on sale, I bought so many, that I cleaned the store out, and asked for more. I have a bunch in my drawers, and he just loves it, and I am so happy to give him something that helps him out.

I am guessing that it works because of the mix of vitamins and minerals, and it doesn't have sugar in it. There is also no fish oil in it, like so many products. There is no corn in it, which he reacts to. I love the version that you like too, which is the one with the blue bear. I have now been trying to get more to continue to stock up on it, and notice that they have changed their formula. I notice that it doesn't contain the same B vitamins as the one with the Blue Bear on it. I thing that B12 and B6 are important. It has magnesium. It has iron. It has calcium. It has niacin, which is so important for reducing tics. It has the B vitamins. It has helped my son. I am very sad that they changed it to some new variation, that no longer has vitamin B in it. I don't know what I will do when I run out! I am so scared. It is the only cereal that works for my son. I tried so many! I used to give him a lot of oatmeal, and that just didn't do the trick, probably because there were no vitamins, and because it is oats, rather than totally gluten free.

I saw a drastic change with the supplementation in the Nestle Rice Cereal. We have been using the one that says "add water" for many months now, and love the original one with the Blue Bear too. Do you know where I can order more? I bought so many of them, and wish that I had bought even more!

I live each day one day at a time. I am always fearful of what happened to him, and to have it come back. It lasted so long. I see glimpses every so often, and I too, have noticed that fevers affect my son, and he needs to have antibiotics. I had such a difficult time securing antibiotics for him. Wow. Now, I find that I can get them from one doctor, when he is sick. I hope that she does not move away. The antibiotics and the cereal, along with epsom salt and no sugar have been life savers for me.

I cry whenever I think of how bad it can get. It can get really bad. All of us can relate to seeing our chidren suddenly "change" because of pandas or pitand. I believe that all parents are extra vigilant about everything after their child has pandas or pitand. We are aware of friends who are sick, we are aware of people coughing, we are aware of parents who say their children have fevers, we are aware of people who tell us that they are strep carriers. We are aware of what works for our children, in terms of diet, and what doesn't. We are aware of what sets them off. We are constantly afraid that the worse will come again, or the worse will stay. We pray for healing. We pray that all children get better. We put our children before us, and are always hoping for the best. We see the possibility of strep related problems in other children. We see that other children might have pitand. We warn other parents about the real dangers of strep. We warn other parents to get swabbed right away.

The biggest thing, is that other parents who totally saw my son's transformation, from the star of the school winning speech contests, to suddenly changing... are now so careful about strep, because they saw him change in front of their eyes. They saw my constant tears of pain. They personally couldn't believe what had happened to him. The teacher saw a transformation, and actually said that he was not the same student that she had in her class at the beginning of the year. She said "who is he"? I told her about strep, and she told me that she is totally afraid of strep, because someone she knows died of it. A coach told me that his friend died of strep too. My neighbours get their children and grand children tested for strep immediately, because of what happened to my son. One day he seemed so fine, and the next day...Boom!

So..I agree with you. This cereal has helped me out too. I would like to see it continue on the shelves, because I can't find a multivitamin that won't make him react. If it has flax in it, he will react. I gave him a vitamin c supplement, and he started with the thing a bit, and I stopped it immediately. I give him orange juice only, for his vitamin c needs. Otherwise, he gets all of his vitamins from food, and the Nestle Rice Cereal...the one that says to add water. I am fearful that they have changed their breakdown of the minerals and vitamins. I would like them to know that this is a fantastic cereal.

I was deeply deeply deeply affected by what happened to my son. I just couldn't function the way that I used to. My personality changed when my son changed. I saw the world differently. I saw the suffering that mothers experienced. I suddenly UNDERSTOOD some version of their pain. I no longer had the child that I thought that I had, and I could not accept that. I felt very very alone for a very very long time. I cried every night.

I live each day one day at a time. I no longer push my son to do things beyond his capability, like I used to. He doesn't do a million programs like he used to. I know that getting enough sleep is very important. I try to figure out what could have caused it...if it was only strep, or if it was strep and mycoplasma pneumonia. He also had a nose that was constantly stuffed. I made the mistake of giving him an oral decongestant, and that wa not good. He cannot have decongestant any more. He cannot have fluoride from the dentist, because it brings out tics. The dental hygenist said that eggs have fluoride in them, so I totally cut out eggs from his diet. He used to eat them every day! He has had one in the past 5 months.

Anyways....have to go now.

Wishing everyone the best. Many hugs to all. Many prayers to all. We share a similar story, and similar pain. Here's to our endless journey to heal and help our children.

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that I have been using this cereal, and it has been helping. We had a horrible time last year when things started with strep and pneumonia and coughs too. My son went on a few weeks of azithromycin, I kept stress to a minimum, I did the stuff he wanted to do, which was soccer all summer, and didn't put pressure on his academics like I did before. Things changed with the azithromycin, but there were times when things would slide when sugar was added to the mix. Cod liver oil, flax oil, and fish oil are no nos. I did the wheat free thing, and the dairy free thing all summer.

Then I stumbled onto this great baby cereal that I remember giving him when he was small: Nestle Rice Cereal. I bought him the one that says to add water, and the one that says to add milk. I was trying to find cereals that didn't have corn, wheat or sugar, but were fortified. My real goal was to find something that was gluten free. So, I bought some of this, and he loved it. Yes, he was much too old to be doing the baby food thing, but rice cereal is rice cereal after all. He preferred the one that said to add water. So, there is a little bit of milk in it, but not enough to cause any reaction like the corn in other cereals, or the wheat or the sugar in other cereals.

He did amazingly on it, so I bought a lot of it. When it went on sale, I bought so many, that I cleaned the store out, and asked for more. I have a bunch in my drawers, and he just loves it, and I am so happy to give him something that helps him out.

I am guessing that it works because of the mix of vitamins and minerals, and it doesn't have sugar in it. There is also no fish oil in it, like so many products. There is no corn in it, which he reacts to. I love the version that you like too, which is the one with the blue bear. I have now been trying to get more to continue to stock up on it, and notice that they have changed their formula. I notice that it doesn't contain the same B vitamins as the one with the Blue Bear on it. I thing that B12 and B6 are important. It has magnesium. It has iron. It has calcium. It has niacin, which is so important for reducing tics. It has the B vitamins. It has helped my son. I am very sad that they changed it to some new variation, that no longer has vitamin B in it. I don't know what I will do when I run out! I am so scared. It is the only cereal that works for my son. I tried so many! I used to give him a lot of oatmeal, and that just didn't do the trick, probably because there were no vitamins, and because it is oats, rather than totally gluten free.

I saw a drastic change with the supplementation in the Nestle Rice Cereal. We have been using the one that says "add water" for many months now, and love the original one with the Blue Bear too. Do you know where I can order more? I bought so many of them, and wish that I had bought even more!

I live each day one day at a time. I am always fearful of what happened to him, and to have it come back. It lasted so long. I see glimpses every so often, and I too, have noticed that fevers affect my son, and he needs to have antibiotics. I had such a difficult time securing antibiotics for him. Wow. Now, I find that I can get them from one doctor, when he is sick. I hope that she does not move away. The antibiotics and the cereal, along with epsom salt and no sugar have been life savers for me.

I cry whenever I think of how bad it can get. It can get really bad. All of us can relate to seeing our chidren suddenly "change" because of pandas or pitand. I believe that all parents are extra vigilant about everything after their child has pandas or pitand. We are aware of friends who are sick, we are aware of people coughing, we are aware of parents who say their children have fevers, we are aware of people who tell us that they are strep carriers. We are aware of what works for our children, in terms of diet, and what doesn't. We are aware of what sets them off. We are constantly afraid that the worse will come again, or the worse will stay. We pray for healing. We pray that all children get better. We put our children before us, and are always hoping for the best. We see the possibility of strep related problems in other children. We see that other children might have pitand. We warn other parents about the real dangers of strep. We warn other parents to get swabbed right away.

The biggest thing, is that other parents who totally saw my son's transformation, from the star of the school winning speech contests, to suddenly changing... are now so careful about strep, because they saw him change in front of their eyes. They saw my constant tears of pain. They personally couldn't believe what had happened to him. The teacher saw a transformation, and actually said that he was not the same student that she had in her class at the beginning of the year. She said "who is he"? I told her about strep, and she told me that she is totally afraid of strep, because someone she knows died of it. A coach told me that his friend died of strep too. My neighbours get their children and grand children tested for strep immediately, because of what happened to my son. One day he seemed so fine, and the next day...Boom!

So..I agree with you. This cereal has helped me out too. I would like to see it continue on the shelves, because I can't find a multivitamin that won't make him react. If it has flax in it, he will react. I gave him a vitamin c supplement, and he started with the thing a bit, and I stopped it immediately. I give him orange juice only, for his vitamin c needs. Otherwise, he gets all of his vitamins from food, and the Nestle Rice Cereal...the one that says to add water. I am fearful that they have changed their breakdown of the minerals and vitamins. I would like them to know that this is a fantastic cereal.

I was deeply deeply deeply affected by what happened to my son. I just couldn't function the way that I used to. My personality changed when my son changed. I saw the world differently. I saw the suffering that mothers experienced. I suddenly UNDERSTOOD some version of their pain. I no longer had the child that I thought that I had, and I could not accept that. I felt very very alone for a very very long time. I cried every night.

I live each day one day at a time. I no longer push my son to do things beyond his capability, like I used to. He doesn't do a million programs like he used to. I know that getting enough sleep is very important. I try to figure out what could have caused it...if it was only strep, or if it was strep and mycoplasma pneumonia. He also had a nose that was constantly stuffed. I made the mistake of giving him an oral decongestant, and that wa not good. He cannot have decongestant any more. He cannot have fluoride from the dentist, because it brings out tics. The dental hygenist said that eggs have fluoride in them, so I totally cut out eggs from his diet. He used to eat them every day! He has had one in the past 5 months.

Anyways....have to go now.

Wishing everyone the best. Many hugs to all. Many prayers to all. We share a similar story, and similar pain. Here's to our endless journey to heal and help our children.

WOW Sweet cheeks...just read your post. It is exactly how I feel. I have not been able to check back into my old life since the

"Sudden Drastic Overnight" change in our son exactly one year ago. I feel like I am watching life from the outside. EVERYTHING has been about this illness and trying everything to avoid the complete loss of our son again. Don't think I have the strength to go "there" again. Now we are faced with the other 2 boys having this...seems like my life is not real....waiting to be awaken. I am constantly amazed at how many tears can flow...I used to never cry. My heart hurts for anyone going through this!

Thank you for sharing...Love to you...really.

I am going to buy that cereal tomorrow. Thank You

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a study on the importance of adding b6 and magnesium to the diet as a means of reducing tics http://www.trialsjournal.com/content/10/1/16

Since Nestle has changed their breakdown of vitamins, I have noticed that my son has this nose twitch, and is humming more. Pretty scary. I was able to find some oat cereal that had their original formula that had vitamin b6 in it, and have been using that. The original rice cereal for babies was perfect. It had the right breakdown of vitamins and minerals in it...so much so that my son was doing so well!

Now that Gerber is the company that is in charge, they want their name on the Nestle baby cereals, and they have changed the formula breakdown of the vitamins and minerals, taking away vitamin b6. I have given my son the Arthur's mango smoothie, because it seems to have a lot of b6 in it. Should I just supplement with a separate b6 and see how that goes?

It really frustrates me that the company isn't willing to go with their original breakdown, which had only the Nestle name on it. I contacted them a few times, but they said that they were only going with their original breakdown. I feel so sad about this, because it totally worked for my son.