ACN Latitudes Forums

vacuum cleaner

ntbowen

Claire,

We have had a horrible time today with Cameron! I have no idea what triggered his behavior this time, but he was so moody, wouldn't get in the car, wouldn't leave the store...it was awful. We took him off all vitamins to start over, and are avoiding salicylates...it's our last food answer hope! We have never been completely strict with the natural stuff according to Feingold so we figured we needed to try. We have always avoided the other stuff though. Who knows???

We have a dust mite allergy so I figured you would be the best person to ask the vacuum question to...we have all hardwoods now with area rugs (oak downstairs and pergo upstairs). What vacuum would you recommend. We just moved to Chapel Hill, NC which we love and are finally in our organic paradise! It makes things so easier.

Another side point....everytime Cameron gets in my car he start the facial grimacing stuff. My car really needs cleaned after the mood...it's pretty bad. I wonder if it dust mites or if he just feel more comfortable back there releasing...he knows I see him though. Any thoughts???

Natalie (not Nancy...made my husband laugh though)

Natalie,

We use Oreck because it is so lightweight and it is gentle on hardwood floors. www.oreck.com. Our model is old, and I don't think they carry it.

But they are really expensive and the important thing is just to get a HEPA vacuum. I noticed some affordable ones here (my one-stop allergy resource...)

http://www.natlallergy.com/

As for the car, is it carpeted or leather? My son used to have horrible reactions in a carpeted car--especially my husbands car. Even now, the memory is so strong that we avoid having him in that car. When I bought my own car, I had all the cloth upholstered seats pulled out and leather put in (after it was delivered--for some reason it didn't come with leather), and he has never had a reaction in my car. I am convinced it is the leather vs the dust-mite haven/synthetic fiber upholstered seats. (Our floor is carpeted, but didn't seem to impact him).

I know not every child reacts this way, but it sure sounds like yours does too.

Maybe try this experiment: vacuum your car well and air it out (no scented fresheners of course). Then put a sheet over each of the front and the back seats. (Your child is young right? He shouldn't care about your trying this out? I can't find the price, but we bought this small HEPA air filter to plug into the car cigarette lighter. I think it was $60. If you make sure to run it in the car for 10 minutes before you pick him up.

http://www.airfilterstore.com/amaircare/

Any way, if you do this and he doesn't grimace when he is in the car for several days, you will have your answer. If he does, well it is likely to be something else, or he is really really sensitive. He is not waiting for pick up around a lot of exhaust, correct? I remember Doris Rapp in her book commented on that setting kids off (though she doesn't discuss tics).

I am so happy that you have healthy food choices now, that is just wonderful!! Good luck checking out the salicylates, let us all know either way.

You have a new home? It wasn't freshly painted was it? That can be an issue if it isn't low VOC paints. (for kids who are chemically sensitive).

So sorry to hear your frustration, I have been there too. 2 steps forward, then 2 steps back, seemingly out of nowhere.

Claire

Thanks so much for the info. I will definitely try to car suggestions. We did just have are house painted!!!!!! We aired it out pretty well, but I still smell it when I come in from outside. I have suspected that...I didn't know about the special paints! I guess there is not much we can do about that now??

Claire,

One more question since we have similar experiences with dust mites...what type of filter system do you use in your house? We have an air purifier in Cameron's room, all the beds and pillows covered, but that's it??? Can you recommend anything??? Thanks.

Natalie,

I don't know the brand, but we have an electrostatic filter in the basement, where we rinse them out every few months.

Also, we do wash bedding often and have ONLY leather furniture. I am the 'meter' for dust mites--the first to react, so we had to do this. Of course the replacement process took years.

Claire

Natalie, This is off subject but was wondering if you can give me some names of places to shop in Chapel Hill for food. I live in Wilmington, NC and we have 2 small independent organic stores but they have very limited choices etc. I would not mind driving to Raleigh/Chapel Hill if I could stock up on items for a couple of weeks.

One more question. Have you found a Dr to help with your son. I have been searching for a DAN dr. and have several names for the Durham/Chapel Hill area.

If you can give my any names it would be great.

I hope you enjoy living in Chapel Hill. I lived in Raleigh 12 years ago and really enjoyed the area. We love living close to the beach now.

I hope things settle down for your son soon. We use a hepa filter in my sons room 24/7 and I have a vaccuum with a hepa filter. I can tell if the hepa gets shut off in my sons room because he will wake up congested. The Paint smell could also be causing problems. My son always tics more around strong odors.

We need to get our house painted and I am looking at the Low VOC paints. They cost alot more then a regular gallon of paint but I think its worth it.

Robin

Robin,

I swear by the low VOC paints. My son's ticcing started in full force after me moved into this freshly painted home. Looking back I wonder if that was the true genesis of when his tics started, since he hadn't reacted to screens before.

Later, a freshly painted room caused tics (he still had some screen exposure, but clearly his tics would increase when in that room for more than a few minutes. When we last painted the whole house again we moved out during the painting but came back to zero smell and he had no reaction at all.

Of course, not every child has chemical sensitivities, but I bet there is a higher proportion here--and it sounds like you notice it with your son. For myself, I was not surprised that paints caused problems, just amazed that the low VOC paint was such 'smooth sailing'--worth every penny. Be sure and get it for the primer also!

I don't know how anyone managed without a good selection of foods! Thank goodness for Whole Foods.

Claire

Robin,

I have a lot of family in Wilmington, and they have told me that there is a small health food store there...don't know the name though. I can't believe they have not opened a Whole Foods there yet...it's probably a matter of time.

In Raleigh, Cary, Durham, and Chapel Hill there is a Whole Foods where you can find ALL the good stuff! Also in Chapel Hill there is an Earthfare opening up soon. It's a great store. They opened up in Asheville, NC and now have many stores in the Southeast. I am really excited because they don't allow anything on the shelf that has corn syrup (my son is really allergic to corn). Whole Foods is the best bet for everything though. We have a few other stores here in my neighborhood that are community owned that sometimes I find unique stuff, but if I want to do a major trip, I always go to Whole Foods.

The Whole Foods in Raleigh would be the closest to you. It's right near N.C. State on Wade Ave. It's definitely worth the trip to stock up! Let me know if I can help! We are in Wilmington at least a few times a year. My best friend lives there and lots of family! What school does your son go to??? My cousins go to Cape Fear Academy there.

Natalie:)

Oh yeah...we are seeing Dr. Robert Taylor. He is a DAN doctor we got from this site. He said he used to have a lot of patients with autism....all kinds of spectrum kids but has really limited it now. He is an ENT and he really wasn't doing ENT anymore, and it got to be too much. He was perfectly willing to see us so you should give him a call. His number is 919-220-0691 in Durham, NC near Duke. He's really nice.

Natalie, I think I will make a trip up to Raleigh to try the Whole Foods Market. We do have 2 small stores here but nothing like a "real grocery store". My son goes to Winter Park Elementary. We were at Friends School of Wilm for 2 years prior. Cape Fear is a great school.

Thanks for the information on the DAN Dr. I will give him a call. My son is going through so much anxiety/panic attacks and I want to wait until he carms down some before I put him through anothe Dr. visit.

Take Care, Robin

Robin,

We have a Friends school here to, and I've heard it really good. I love their philosophy. I keep reading on their website that they have little support for special needs so I have been hesitant. They have an early school my son can go to. I have been really trying to find some more outside help. I am just spent lately, and so tired. My son has been so angry and aggressive lately. It just scares me...he's only three and a half! We had friends over last night, and it was so embarrassing. I'm not sure if they will want to come back. I am feeling so isolated. I've never been sucessful with playgroups (he pushes and hits, and constantly needs to be touching or mad because some else is in his space) and I watch him like a hawk at the playgrounds because I am really afraid he will push someone off...it is crazy sometimes. My husband and I were thinking maybe we should get some type of behavioral therapy before someone gets hurt...and his poor baby sister. Do you have any recommendations for this??? How old is your son.

Cape Fear academy is a good school, and they have a decent amount of support but WAY too high pressure. My one cousin does great there...he is very NT. However, my other cousin should not be there. They are NAZI with the academics. Not good for our kids.

Natalie

Natalie, I have heard the same things about CFA. The Friends school here in Wilmington Basically told us at the end of 3rd grade(last week of School) that my son "was not a good fit" for Friends school. I cried in the middle of the meeting and felt like a complete fool. My sons anxiety and ADHD was "a problem for the teachers" they did not have the time to devote to my son. I was very hurt and hated telling my son because he had alot of friends at the school and loved his teachers. He is now in a public school for the first time ever and doing O.K. His anxiety is so bad right now that he has missed alot of days the past 2 weeks!!

His anxiety and attention issues have always been the hardest things for him to handle. His tics are pretty constant but very mild so as of now they do not bother him. I hope they stay carm as he goes through puberty.

Myson is 10 and I also have a 2 year old. I stay home and can relate to the stress you talk about. My 2 year old is sick so much so we are not able to go on play dates etc. We go to the park sometimes but he is hesitant to play with the other children. When we do have friends over my 2 year old is very bossy with the other children. Wish I had could help out more. Robin