ACN Latitudes Forums

Nestle Rice Cereal Add Water Original Formula

Cristo

Hi,

I just wanted to pass along something that I have found helpful. My child is in grade 2 and had a lot of tics, and reacted severely after having an illness. I now jump and get antibiotics as soon as he has a fever. Plus...I give him Nestle Rice Cereal...the kind that you give the really small babies...the stage one formula that says add water. I found that the original formula really worked well, probably because it is gluten free, with minimal milk, and it has a lot of vitamins. The best formula is the original one, that has the picture of the bear on it, not the one with the baby on it, which is the new formula. The original packaging has a blue teddy bear on it, and the new formula has the word Gerber on it, and the picture of the Gerber baby. They changed the vitamins percentages, and took out B6 out of their formula. He says "I want the baby cereal" and I have instructed him to tell the kids at school that he has "rice cereal" for breakfast. They don't need to know that it is baby cereal.

Does anyone think that the mix of vitamins in the infant baby cereal by Nestle (add water) original formula...could be beneficial?

It is probably a mix of the following:

1) epsom salt baths

2) Nestle Baby Cereal - Rice - Add Water... every day

3) going to bed early and being rested

4) not doing a lot of activities, and not stressing about school

5) Praying and asking others to pray

6) laying down with my child, and hanging out with him, and being aware of what sets him off a little (sleep, hunger, stress, dust)

I find that whenever we have early hockey practice at 6 am it seems to be a stressor for him, and he easily gets sick. So, instead, we just rest for the rest of the day.

I don't know why he gets one day fevers, but I quickly jump on them by getting a prescription for azithromycin to prevent any of the crazy things that I have seen in the past.

God Bless all of our children, and please keep them safe and healthy. Please help us find the right things to help our children, away from harm. Guardian angels, please watch over our children, and keep them safe. Let us parents suffer, and not our children. Eliminate all tics and pandas from this world. I pray for all children and their parents who worry about them.

Hi Christo :)

was your child on a multivitamin/mineral supplement before starting the rice cereal

often kids with tics who are not on any extra vitamins will show improvement as soon as they start a multi so perhaps that is the benefit you are seeing, along with probiotics and the epsom baths

glad it is working well :)

God Bless you and your family too.

No. He wasn't on a multivitamin before all of this started. So you think that the prebiotics, epsom salt and the fact that the cereal has many vitamins are helping? Does it matter whether or not b6 is in the mix?

I also notice that when he eats something like an ice cream, I see a little something coming out. Also, when he has a fever, it seems to start. Fortunately, I have been able to get him on azithromycin right away, when he gets a fever. He had a really bad episode last year, after repeated strep infections. Azithromycin helped reduce the tics and the behavioural fears, but it took a while...around one month. I notice that the following are bad news:

1) fever or some kind of sickness

2) ice cream (sugar or the milk?)

3) lack of sleep

4) decongestants

5) pizza from pizza pizza (is it the cheese they use? )

6) YOP yogurt (probably the dairy and sugar)

7) stress (makes his eye blink, but he doesn't do all of the other things...like one day a neighbour's dad yelled at my son's friend, and my son's eye started blinking like crazy)

8) fish oil

I am afraid to give him any multivitamins. I gave him some multivitamins and some other stuff that this alternative health practitioner had prescribed a few years back, and he started having tremors, like seizures. I had kept my child away from msg and all that crap, and surprisingly, in all of those wacky formulas that the alternative health practioner had given him, there was an excessive amount of msg. She prescribed the famous brand that natural doctors prescribe - multivitamins, colloidal multiminerals, and a neuropowder probiotic. The multiminerals and the neuropowder have glutamic acid. My son's system went haywire right after that. I had gone to her for a sinus issue with my son, and he ended up having tremors. So, I am really reluctant to go there with any multi vit.

No. He wasn't on a multivitamin before all of this started. So you think that the prebiotics, epsom salt and the fact that the cereal has many vitamins are helping? Does it matter whether or not b6 is in the mix?

I also notice that when he eats something like an ice cream, I see a little something coming out. Also, when he has a fever, it seems to start. Fortunately, I have been able to get him on azithromycin right away, when he gets a fever. He had a really bad episode last year, after repeated strep infections. Azithromycin helped reduce the tics and the behavioural fears, but it took a while...around one month. I notice that the following are bad news:

1) fever or some kind of sickness

2) ice cream (sugar or the milk?)

3) lack of sleep

4) decongestants

5) pizza from pizza pizza (is it the cheese they use? )

6) YOP yogurt (probably the dairy and sugar)

7) stress (makes his eye blink, but he doesn't do all of the other things...like one day a neighbour's dad yelled at my son's friend, and my son's eye started blinking like crazy)

8) fish oil

I am afraid to give him any multivitamins. I gave him some multivitamins and some other stuff that this alternative health practitioner had prescribed a few years back, and he started having tremors, like seizures. I had kept my child away from msg and all that crap, and surprisingly, in all of those wacky formulas that the alternative health practioner had given him, there was an excessive amount of msg. She prescribed the famous brand that natural doctors prescribe - multivitamins, colloidal multiminerals, and a neuropowder probiotic. The multiminerals and the neuropowder have glutamic acid. My son's system went haywire right after that. I had gone to her for a sinus issue with my son, and he ended up having tremors. So, I am really reluctant to go there with any multi vit.

Hi Cristo,

I am also in Canada and have found that a good multi clean multi is hard to come by, we have recently started our ds9 on Progressive MultiVitamins for Kids Chewables and are really excited about the results.

As far as icecream and pizza, it could definately be the dairy, but also the artificial colours, flavours and sweeteners. Even the sauce or pepperoni could be an issue for additives and nitrates.

Many of us see a rise in tics in response to viruses and fever.

Stress...yes....another big factor in tic increases...epsom baths help ALOT and Natural Calm

YOP is on our no go list as it is artificially flavoured and coloured and for our ds the dairy.

You could try a flax oil instead of fish oil, our ds also had a rise when using fish oil.

Most decongestants have loads of artificials, there is a natural product you can get from Shopper's DrugMart called NIN JIOM, it is a bit strong flavoured but pure and honey based and works amazing...we use it for our whole family now even our 3 yr old.

Have you begun removing artificial colours, flavours and preservatives yet? Could be the common denominator in many of the things you see as triggers. Just a thought.

Do you suspect PANDAS, as you have mentioned antibiotics several times or is there a family history of tic disorders?

Best wishes and welcome,

Megan

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I suspected Pandas last year, when he went through something very strange, after an untreated strep infection. But...tics are the big one for him.

I have found that when he is sick, as long as I quickly jump in and get him antibiotics, that he will be ok. The tics are minimal (nose squiching). However, this time, I let his on and off fever go for 5 days, giving him natural stuff like garlic and lots of fluids. His old shoulder tic is starting again. I got the antibiotics on the 5th day of his illness. I really hope that it is not too late. Last year was the saddest year in my whole life. He did odd mouth movements, rolled his eyes, shrugged his shoulders every 5 seconds, turned his head to the side, hummed, and was extremely anxious. His handwriting changed. It suddenly became very very messy. He became very irritable too.

The teacher called me in to ask what had happened to ds, because he had suddenly changed from being a star student, to a student who was no longer complying. He was constantly chatting in class, interrupting the teacher when she spoke to the class. She said...I don't recognize this student. He has changed. It lasted for 7 months. I fell apart. It ended sometime in the middle of August. In July, I had him on 3 weeks of azithromycin. He really improved. The anxiety was gone. The mouth movements were gone. The talkativeness was gone . The shoulder shrugs were gone.

When school started this year, my ds7 won the most improved award because the new teacher was expecting him to be excessively chatty, interrupt, and do his work messy. Instead, she said that he is a great student. She told us that the previous teacher from last year had warned her that he was always talking in class, interrupting her, talking when others were presenting, he drew something on his desk, and he was always turning around to talk to the person behind him. (I suspect that he was turning around, because his head would do that...). She was on alert for his behaviour.

This year, he has had some nose squishing whenever he has more snot than usual, he will blink one eye when he is feeling scared about something, he would make this throaty "hhhaaaahhhhh" sound after drinking anything....and he hums just before he is about to eat, and while he is eating...but those seemed so mild by comparison to last year. I have found that as long as I "catch" his fevers, and treat them, he is fine. He gets better. No tics. However, this time is different. My mistake. I let him play after school every day, and I let life get in the way. I should have just taken him to the closest walk in clinic that will give him a 5 day course of antibiotics...right away. I really really pray that will not go through what he went throught last year. His handwriting is also going a bit downhill. I am really scared.

Sugar is a big one. The school had gum day and hot dog day recently, which didn't help. In fact, it made everything worse. They are planning on having regular hot dog days, which are really bad for him with all of the nitrates.

Should I just keep him away on those days?

• 1 month later...