ACN Latitudes Forums

Antivirals for PITANDS

There are many antiviral natural remedies out there....some use Olive Leaf Extract. I hope others chime in because there are many others.

But...I have always wondered about antivirals used in PANDAS/PITANDS. If antibiotics work for PANDAS...would antivirals work for PITANDS? Any experiences out there??

My son tried acyclovir because frequent canker sores were causing symptom exacerbations. We just recently started generic valtrex and it was a $10 copay for us....and our Insurance is not very good. Is the dr willing to try generic? Our bottle reads 'valacyclovir' . Hope that helps.

Debby

Guest TwinCitiesMom

The doctor wanted to start my dd on Valtrex for her PITANDS but I soooo can not afford that medication. Does anyone else know of a good antiviral what has or will work?

Thanks

You may want to check the Valtrex manufacturer's website for special pricing or promotions. Some of the drug companies are offering special pricing or a one-month free trial for an expensive Brand name drug. This would be instead of using your prescription drug plan. Some of the pharmacies also offer prescription drug savings clubs for generic drugs. Acyclovir may be a viable option that is available as a generic; however, it may need to be dosed more frequently. It can be cost effective to buy the highest strength of a drug and then use a pill cutter to cut to the desired strength. This works best for round, scored tablets that are NOT controlled-release.

The doctor wanted to start my dd on Valtrex for her PITANDS but I soooo can not afford that medication. Does anyone else know of a good antiviral what has or will work?

Thanks

Have you thought about oil of oregano.(ooo)..it is anti-viral, bacterial, yeast....so be really careful clostridia doesn't creep in.....

There used to be a generic. Does it still exist? My dd was on valtrex for 6 months and I think it helped. It was for a high HHV6 titer. Our LLMD just told me that valtrex would not help for that. Either way, I think the antivirals did help.

Does your doc want to start for any specific virus or overall pandas therapy? This is what my dd will be taking for lyme treatment soon.

Hydroxychloroquine(hye drox ee klor' oh kwin) or Plaquenil

Hydroxychloroquine is in a class of drugs called antimalarials. It is used to prevent and treat acute attacks of malaria. It is also used to treat discoid or systemic lupus erythematosus and rheumatoid arthritis in patients whose symptoms have not improved with other treatments.

This medication is sometimes prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.

Susan

You should check with some compounding pharmacies, we were able to get vancomycin at a fraction of the cost (walgreen $1000, compounded $45!). Maybe valtrex would be the same. Here are a couple we have used:

http://www.posthastepharmacy.net/retailer/store_templates/shell_id_1.asp?storeID=04CB636EFF3F43AEB8BCBB76A0024E3F

http://www.coastalcompounding.com/

Sorry to be slightly off topic, but to add to what Stephanie just said there, I have had a similar experience with fluconazole ("diflucan"), where it was MUCH cheaper to get it compounded without all the artificial colorings than it was to just buy the regular tablets. Amazing stuff to keep in mind when drugs seem too expensive!

MonoLaurin (=lauricidin = lauric acid) from coconuts is another antiviral (general antimicrobial) that we have found really good

I have heard there are even encouraging trials done on some HIV patients with it.

I get ours from my local The Vitamin Shoppe,

(occurs naturally in breast milk btw)

we also like Olive Leaf Extract

we use a lot of natural antimicrobial foods too, including local organic raw honey, garlic, ginger, turmeric and oregano oil, amongst others.

Our DAN! originally put my son on Amanditdine stating it was an "old antiviral". I would have to attest to its efficacy as my son had the mother of all herx's after 72 hours on it. Later, when his overall health improved, OLE pulled a big trigger for him.

Thanks

Does Clostridia creep in when using oil of oregano???

Have you thought about oil of oregano.(ooo)..it is anti-viral, bacterial, yeast....so be really careful clostridia doesn't creep in.....

Thanks

Does Clostridia creep in when using oil of oregano???

well when you wipe everything else out...it leaves open space...so what ever is thriving best will take over....like sand at the beach....dig a hole, eventually water and the then the side sand fills in..

have to dose with higher probi'sss...and try to fill in with stuff that fights clostridia..like bifudus..and other regulars like cultrulle,,,,etc