ACN Latitudes Forums

Vitamins While on Prednisone Burst

My ds-15 was diagnosed with PANDAS by Dr. T and was given two 10-day doses of 2,000 mg. Augmentin (which he is finishing up) and finished a 5-day Prednisone burst yesterday. There have been no changes in his severe OCD which has really been his only symptom (no tics for the most part). I was wondering if it would be OK to start him on some B vitamins (through Kal Wheat Flakes), vitamin D, omega-3, magnesium, and vitamin E. My reservation is that if I see improvement, I wouldn't know if it was from the Prednisone/Augmentin or the vitamins. At what point would it be OK to start giving him vitamins? Also, if there is no change after a month from the Prednisone burst, can I assume he would not be a likely candidate for improvement through IVIG?

Should I assume that his OCD is permanent and therefore seek counseling for him? And would it mean that the PANDAS diagnosis was incorrect--that instead my son is just suffering from regular OCD that was possibly exasberated by the strep? He has had extensive blood work done and everything came out negative except his ASO was about 250. The Dnase results are not back yet due to some "activation agent" needed to complete the test that the lab does not have. Thank you.

You can start the vitamins and supplements at anytime. They help a little. If you see marked improvement, it would be from the antibiotics or steroid. I know that doctors use the steroid as a diagnosis tool. I don't think it will predict IVIG outcome. My child did well with steroids, but after three IVIGs has shown zero improvement.

Does Dr. T intend for the 20 days of antibiotics to be it? Our doctor started with 2 weeks but then evaluated after that. Given no improvement at that time, the dosage was adjusted. Typically a child is on antibiotics for months if not years.

I have a lot of confidence in Dr. T's diagnosis, but I believe that it is our responsibility to always seek a second or third opinion on diagnosis as well as treatment. I have never heard that true OCD can be exasperated by strep. Unless, I suppose it is possible to have both... thinking outside the box. Our doctor told us that eventually we may go to a therapist to help rid some of the remaining OCD behaviors but that is long into the future. He feels that otherwise it is a waste of money. I saw first hand what he meant as I watched my child improve with antibiotics and steroids.

My ds-15 was diagnosed with PANDAS by Dr. T and was given two 10-day doses of 2,000 mg. Augmentin (which he is finishing up) and finished a 5-day Prednisone burst yesterday. There have been no changes in his severe OCD which has really been his only symptom (no tics for the most part). I was wondering if it would be OK to start him on some B vitamins (through Kal Wheat Flakes), vitamin D, omega-3, magnesium, and vitamin E. My reservation is that if I see improvement, I wouldn't know if it was from the Prednisone/Augmentin or the vitamins. At what point would it be OK to start giving him vitamins? Also, if there is no change after a month from the Prednisone burst, can I assume he would not be a likely candidate for improvement through IVIG?

Should I assume that his OCD is permanent and therefore seek counseling for him? And would it mean that the PANDAS diagnosis was incorrect--that instead my son is just suffering from regular OCD that was possibly exasberated by the strep? He has had extensive blood work done and everything came out negative except his ASO was about 250. The Dnase results are not back yet due to some "activation agent" needed to complete the test that the lab does not have. Thank you.

Sorry, writing to a forum is new to me. I think I accidentally sent my original post again!

Formedbrds, I assume Dr. T. will continue the antibiotics. Didn't mean to be unclear about that. What is your next option since the IVIG's didn't work? Does you doctor think the PANDAS will get better with long-term antiobiotics. If so, how long. Thank you.

Tampicc, thank you for your reply.

just to add a thought....

i think the number of occurances and age play a factor...

when ds was younger...he would have complete remiittance on standard dose of abx..and the last bit of tics disappeared 2 weeks later...

this on onset was...to pick a number his 18th-20th attack...(3 a year since he was 3..this onset at age 9(over night onset with all and completely normal in between)..and they were always simple tics...

this onset 1-2 years ago...was also not strep...it was myco p...more invasive, and chronic,,,i think

and pre-puberty...and as the year went on got extremely bad...(did not know to look for myco p)

so i think the 3 factors play into it...

and if abx are helping...it certainly is taking a long time...

My daughter was diagnosed just over a month ago by Dr. Latimer and she has been on Augmenton XR but got sick earlier this week and we are are now also diagnosed with sydenham's chorea. We are going to do three weeks of steroids along with 10 days of clindamycin to get rid of the strep we cultured for this week. I was wanting to go more natural once we start stablizing. I had heard of Olive Oil as well as Oregano Oil. What are your doses (times per day, drops) for the Olive Oil and are you doing any other supplements or natural remedies?

makeitfromscratchmom-- I understand your feelings about wanting to go natural--but if your child has been diagnosed with Sydenham's chorea...that merits serious attention. (OLE just may not kick it if it is serious.)

That must be a very difficult time--I am sorry.