ACN Latitudes Forums

Treatment for 12 year old son

sk8rmom

I have been researching and trying to find the right treatment for my son who is having ocd behaviors. He also is having IBS-C type of problems and we have an appt to see a ped. gastro. next week. I've been giving him Inositol 650, Vit. Shoppe, and p5p. I can't tell that it's helping with the ocd type behavior and it seems to give him some stomach pain. Mainly his issues have to do with bodily fluids, urine, etc. He changes his underwear a lot (they are not wet), takes showers in the morning (he thinks he wet the bed) It is not wet. It's very hard to get him to leave the house because he's afraid he will have to use the bathroom or he will wet himself. We're doing homeschool now. But it seems the more he stays home the worse he gets. He holds his saliva whenever he has to go to the doctor or anywhere. I've been trying to find a therapist that practices CBT and ERP, but none take our insurance. His pediatrician referred us to a family therapist. Not sure if he will be able to help my son. Thank you so much for any information. This website has been so helpful.

Hi sk8rmom,

I sympathise. I think I can cope with most things but it's my son's OCD which really upsets me. I will do anything to have that disappear! Have you seen the ped gastro yet? How did it go?

We went to a DAN! doctor who did testing and found that my son was deficient in a number of vitamins and minerals which meant that the immune system was compromised (despite a healthy diet), and he has a leaky gut (with strep and staph, and no e-coli - not good!)

This is what I understand: With a compromised immune system the body finds it difficult to fight infection, and the gut wall becomes vulnerable and it starts to leak (not good!) The body's systems are then out of whack. I understand that 70% of the body's neurotransmitters are located around the gut, so it's not that surprising that neuro symptoms develop.

My son gets worse with exposure to strep (history of ear infections.) The DAN! doctor is treating him with supplements, antibiotics to kill the strep and staph, enzymes, and probiotics to balance the gut flora, and a gut healing diet (GFCF, no grains, no sugar, organic food, lots of veggies, no potatoes) and we've tried hard to stick to it. We're really vigilant on no casein because he can't process it.

I suspect my son has had this a long time. Improvements over the past couple of months have been slow but steady - I dare to hope that they will continue. He looks better, feels better, the OCD stuff is less severe, and he says the fog is lifting (Yes!) So, we're in this for the long term.

It sounds like your son may have gut issues... I hope your gastro ped can help and you see improvement soon.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for the reply. We went to the gasto yesterday and she said he's very constipated and his colon is stretched out. He has to take miralax for about a year probably. I haven't heard of a DAN doctor before. I'd like to find someone like that to work with him. Luckily I found a therapist that will take our insurance. I hope she can help him and we can get back to normal.

Hi sk8rmom,

DAN! doctors treat kids on the Autism spectrum for a number of issues, not the least of which are gut problems, so they're kid friendly and knowledgeable. My confidence lies in their testing to find out what is going on and treating accordingly. Constipation and/or diarrhea mean digestion is out of whack! But why?

To find a practitioner near you you could try a website like ARI (Autism Research Institute) which has a list of practitioners. (or an integrative doctor maybe?) It always helps to have somone recommend somebody good... Maybe someone on this board could help? (I have a preference for a doctor who can order the tests and write the scripts.)

I hope the therapist can help your son...we've had a psychologist working with our ds who has helped him find some strategies. But for us, the biggest thing has been to have his whole body working as well it can.

Good luck!

Edited by Ozimum