ACN Latitudes Forums

Heard of L-Theanin for anxiety?

We used l-theanine for a while with my dd but it was hard to tell if it helped because she had so many other issues going on at the time..... clostridia, yeast, food intolerances, reflux, etc. We tried GABA and had the worst reaction ever but 5-HTP is really helping with anxiety.

-Amber

As far as I can tell, it doesn't seem to bother her at all. I give 50mgs, 3 times a day with meals. My dd weighs 34lbs and is 3yrs old and nonverbal so it's hard to tell about the tummy upset. She has a lot of g.i. issues though and she is pretty good at letting me know when she isn't feeling good. I have a 3mos old baby that just got through a rough phase of colic and the crying makes my dd extremely anxious. When she first wakes in the morning, she will have borderline panic attacks if the baby cries but within a couple of hrs of taking the 5-htp, the crying doesn't bother her at all. It's really been a miracle for us and we've tried just about everything natural.

One of the side effects is that is can make you sleepy but this has also been a good thing because my dd is very hyper.

-Amber

I have tried it for myself to relieve the anxiety of dealing w/ our son. I didn't like the way it made me feel. Made me VERY sleepy and felt kind of jittery in a weird way. What I have found for myself in 5 HTP. It makes me feel relaxed and calm. Never have given either to our DS.

I have tried it for myself to relieve the anxiety of dealing w/ our son. I didn't like the way it made me feel. Made me VERY sleepy and felt kind of jittery in a weird way. What I have found for myself in 5 HTP. It makes me feel relaxed and calm. Never have given either to our DS.

Whats the dosage you use your yourself? I actually happen to have this product in our arsenal, bought originally for me more than a year ago. It's still in date so I can start it today as I take nothing else but a multi and omegas.

Just heard of this today. Anyone had any experience with this? Oops just saw NancyD posted about this in Sept. Will check that thread!

tried 5htp for the 1st time last night.....

recap..ds is 78lb and a ticcer...some hair pulling...but i wonder if some of his tics are anxiety, or just right in nature sometimes...

so trying the ocd avenue a little...

he seemed to do well on meletonin 1mg...3mg too much...

i tried it...yes fell asleep, but woke up like a rocket,4am sevral times...then cant stay asleep

i wonder if it effects ds same way...(he's a guys guy....not chatty, or cossipty at all..it's pulling teeth to get info out of him)

so i thought lets see if 5htp helps sleep and anxiety..

well 50mg seemed like a lot, if 1mg mel..does a good job..so we split it....

neither of us could wake up this morning..i still feel...i don't know...off...tired..idk..or maybe that would be less anxiety...but feels sleepyish....idk

when i talked to guy at herbal store...he said it effects late sleep the sleep after 4am...

soo what do you do....take meletonin and 5htp, NO...just saying....1 gets the 1st half the other gets the second part

i have tried valerian too...that isn't bad..not as dramatic in effect...i made need to up it on my next try...

i always start at 1/2 suggested initial dose the 1st time...as you never know the effect on each person

Edited by Fixit

I found it at Costco, lol. Its Natrol brand of 5-HTP. The bottle says take one tablet w/ food up to 2x a day. Each tab is 100mg. It does not make me sleepy but it helps me have a really nice good deep sleep w/ no waking up in the middle of the night.

The bottle says no wheat, corn, milk, egg, soy, glutens, artificial colors or flavors, added sugar or preservatives (for those who are eliminaing those ingredients).

we had the same problem with melatonin and waking in the night so we ended up using melatonin to fall asleep and l-tryptophan to stay asleep. The only thing with tryptophan, is that if you have a current bacterial infection going like clostridia, the excess ammonia will cause major mood swings. At least that's what we saw in my dd. So the dr. then told us to use l-ornithine in the combo to reduce ammonia but all those aminos taste soooo bad that it was impossible to get her to take them.

we had the same problem with melatonin and waking in the night so we ended up using melatonin to fall asleep and l-tryptophan to stay asleep. The only thing with tryptophan, is that if you have a current bacterial infection going like clostridia, the excess ammonia will cause major mood swings. At least that's what we saw in my dd. So the dr. then told us to use l-ornithine in the combo to reduce ammonia but all those aminos taste soooo bad that it was impossible to get her to take them.

cool...thanks,,,will try some time

alot of balls in the air right now

Just a caution re 5HTP or tryptophan....

do NOT take them together, in conjunction with SSRI meds, or anything else that elevates serotonin, as a dangerous condition can result!!!

my son took 5HTP for a while when his OCD was really bad, when he was younger. It did help but we were told never to exceed 50mg a night.

A few years later when he tried it again it made him very very edgy!! as did the L-tryptophan, so the reaction can be very varied!