ACN Latitudes Forums

allergy testing?

has anyone done any allergy testing?

My husband is not on board with the thought that our son may have PANDAS. we both don't understand it well enough but from his thinking PANDAS is a sudden onset of symptoms?

Our son has had gradual symptons from the time he was about 4 years old, almost right after he had his tonsils and adnoids removed.

long story short, instead of arguing with my hsuband about our son I have agreed to let the PANDAS issue go for now and focus on it being TS, with a possible strep titer test done at some point.

I was wondering if it was a good idea to get allergy testing done(skin pricks) to see if he has any food sensativites, or is this something that isn't usualy related to TS?

Bridy

has anyone done any allergy testing?

My husband is not on board with the thought that our son may have PANDAS. we both don't understand it well enough but from his thinking PANDAS is a sudden onset of symptoms?

Our son has had gradual symptons from the time he was about 4 years old, almost right after he had his tonsils and adnoids removed.

long story short, instead of arguing with my hsuband about our son I have agreed to let the PANDAS issue go for now and focus on it being TS, with a possible strep titer test done at some point.

I was wondering if it was a good idea to get allergy testing done(skin pricks) to see if he has any food sensativites, or is this something that isn't usualy related to TS?

Bridy

Hi Bridy,

I am sure so many others will agree that food sensitivities can most definately be related to TS or Chronic Tic Disorders. Our ds has Chronic Vocal Tic Disorder and food sensitivities are major tic triggers for him. The classic skin prick testing will show "true allergies" but not necessarily food intolerances/sensitivities. there are other tests (I'm sure others will add to this) but we personally found food elimination diet the most effective, although alot of work. As time continues you grow more adept at seeing possible triggers and reactions. The trick is to read, read, read all the labels and stay as close to home grown as possible.

Best of luck,

Megan

Hello! We did the IgG blood test. My son came back with alot of food intolerance, but mostly dairy/gluten. I had a "gut" feeling the dairy was going to be off the charts.

Our neurologist said if you want to know for sure if food is truly a culprit that the elimination diet is the best way to go. However, we have just completely eliminated everything that came back moderate & high on his IgG profile. We still give him the stuff that came back "low" but even avoid some of that too.

Personally, I think the supplements are as important as the diet & no matter how much elimination you do, tics will sometimes still find their way back through other types of triggers. We just learned this with a mouth injury & trip to the dentist. It's all a learning process. :huh:

Best wishes!

~Lynn

thank you both for the replies.

I think we are going to do a food intolerance test. when our daughter was 2 we had a MVL allergy test done which uses both IgE and IgG4, is this the correct testing for intolerances?

Hello! We did the IgG blood test. My son came back with alot of food intolerance, but mostly dairy/gluten. I had a "gut" feeling the dairy was going to be off the charts.

Our neurologist said if you want to know for sure if food is truly a culprit that the elimination diet is the best way to go. However, we have just completely eliminated everything that came back moderate & high on his IgG profile. We still give him the stuff that came back "low" but even avoid some of that too.

Personally, I think the supplements are as important as the diet & no matter how much elimination you do, tics will sometimes still find their way back through other types of triggers. We just learned this with a mouth injury & trip to the dentist. It's all a learning process. :huh:

Best wishes!

~Lynn

well getting him to give blood is going to be tough.

we had him at the GP office today and we wanted blood drawn to check for some other things and he ran out of the building!

We experience similar reactions with our son. He has EXTREME anxiety over needles yet can wipe out on his dirtbike scrapes and gashes and get up without a whine...this is partially why we went the elimination diet route. I sometimes wish we could do the blood tests but for now I have agreed for his sake to try all other routes first. If you find something that works though...bribery, money, anything! :D let me know. So far ours could care less for the reward, his anxiety is just too big.

I hope it goes well, it would definitely help avoid alot of the guesswork.

Megan

What supplements have you found works for your child.

Cindi

Best wishes!

~Lynn