ACN Latitudes Forums

oh the curse of the hidden triggers

mommyfor4

Hi everyone, hope you all survived Halloween in one sane piece! We did pretty well our son raked in the candy, ironically, he can have none of it! He traded it all in for a gift card to Wal-Mart....

Anyway, I have had two major moments since Halloween. The kind that leave you thinking "are you kidding me?"

The first was Halloween night and the following day. We saw an obvious increase in tics and started to question if our ds had snuck some "forbidden fruit" while trick or treating. Then it hit me.....the face paint! All the colour, BHT and other junk. We washed him immediately and epsom salt bathed him and it mellowed after the second day.

The second incident was last night. He had received "silly putty" instead of treats from his teacher. After only 5-10mins of handling it he started ticcing like crazy, tics we have not heard in some time. It was the only new addition so I assumed it was the culprit...again sent him to wash and epsom salt bath and found the tics again started to diminish! Are you kidding me?!!!! I know the importance of clean diet, no chemicals etc. but I was shocked at the speed and reaction to these things. It was a reminder again of how quickly he can be thrown out of balance and how our skin's absorption also plays a big role. A little scary!

On a positive note...still doing really well on the Progressive multi, grandparents and teacher have even commented! Having one of those rare moments when we feel like we are really managing his tics and not always five steps behind, pinpointing triggers with a little more ease now that we have his basic gameplan down.

Have a great weekend all!

Megan

great to hear the multi is working well Megan :)

my son was recently given a few of those silly band thingies. He had a tic storm shortly after putting them on, and he said he also felt weird so he took them off and things improved, but still elevated, and it lasted till he also took his epsom bath!

He thinks it was likely a combo of the dye in them plus the silicone and other chemicals.

I see all these little kids with their arms covered in them and feel so concerned for what is passing thru their skin, and who knows if the chew on them even!

great to hear the multi is working well Megan :)

my son was recently given a few of those silly band thingies. He had a tic storm shortly after putting them on, and he said he also felt weird so he took them off and things improved, but still elevated, and it lasted till he also took his epsom bath!

He thinks it was likely a combo of the dye in them plus the silicone and other chemicals.

I see all these little kids with their arms covered in them and feel so concerned for what is passing thru their skin, and who knows if the chew on them even!

Oh, I am so glad you mentioned that. My kids have been coming home with them...I refuse to buy them but their friends feel sorry for my poor unfortunate kids <_< . I started to think I was over reacting but you're absolutely right and that could explain some mood stuff and some unexplained short term tic bursts last week! I knew I was right...wait til I tell my kids!!! :D Just kidding....tempting though.

Megan

Ok, I have much to say about this post. My son's tics have definetly increased since the mouth injury :angry: & Halloween, but are you serious about the silly bands? really? really? He is up to 83! I'm sick of them & now you're making me think he's sick from them. Do you honestly think silly bands can increase tics? :unsure:

Edited by Lynn777

I know they did for my son Lynn

he tested it twice about a week apart.

he does have diagnosed chemical sensitivity so we think that is likely why he reacts so intensely to these things

but yup, the silly bands definitely caused him to feel weird and increased his tics

Hi Lynn, so as you saw in my post I suspected the paint, silly putty and after Cheri's son's observation the silly bands. So doesn't my ds come home from a movie with a friend with a mittful of them again. His tics were elevated...discussed it with him and he mentioned feeling light headed but thought it could be the movie (too much stimuli) He decided the bands could very well be the issue, gave them up and had an epsom bath and by this morning tics are mellow again! It's got me convinced. Makes sense as he too is sensitive to chemicals etc. He isn't willing to chance it, thank goodness! Let's hope this trend passes quickly... :wacko:

Megan

P.S. Glad to see on your post that he is healing quickly and doing much better :)

Oh my goodenss. My daughter who has been doing well - has become much more tic'y lately. I also notice her tapping things rhythmically. I thought it was the excitement of Halloween . But she too has had silly bands wound half way up her arm lately. I never even thought of that!! I will get her to take them all off and give her a epsom salts bath. Thanks for that info.

Lisa

That is just unbelievable. What's interesting, is my son was getting little prickly heat type marks on his arm from the silly bands, but I told him it was probably because he had them on up to his elbow. I can't say I noticed a tic increase, but who knows. I have now hidden them & hope he doesn't ask for them.

Halloween was such a success. We went to our 10 closest neighbors and asked them to give him things like matchbox cars, markers, sidewalk chalk (that we provided of course). Then I switched out some of the whole foods candy with the regular brands and the rest we told him he could exchange for a gift. He was overjoyed. I felt so bad this was the first year he was the most excited about trick or treating & the first year I'd have to crush his spirit...

Guess what? He had a blast & loved the whole night. He only knows he has "sensitivity" to certain foods right now. But, he was far from crushed when he was able to get "some" candy & a new present!

Thanks for the heads up on the silly bands. These Tics sure are sensitive little buggers aren't they!?!?!?!?!?!